PDA

View Full Version : max newbie edge question

tpe
12-16-2003, 02:25 PM
What is the best (most efficient) way of putting another row of verts in an object in max.

http://www.hairy-cockroach-fairy.co.uk/~tpe/max_edges.jpg

ie from getting from the object on the left to the object on the right.

I can do it with a heap of messing around with adding verticies and deleting and recreating polies etc but it takes some time and it just seems awkward to predict what edges will be visable (ie suround a poly that i may want to extrude later etc). The above object is a cube so it was easy to do with the slice plane tool, but what if i want to select a row of polies on a model that is not flat, like around a mouth etc?

thanks for any general or specific advice on how to do this.

tpe

coffeepenguin
12-16-2003, 02:28 PM
I've alwaysed used the cut tool for adding verts and edges, it's the way that's fastest for me.

tpe
12-16-2003, 02:33 PM
Thanks thats brill :)

tpe

Multimediaman
12-16-2003, 02:40 PM
well, if you're in max 4.2, you'll find yourself using the cut tool when you're in edge subobject mode... just click where you want the verticies, and it cuts a line across them... if you want them exactly in the center of your lines, use your 3d snap and enable midpoint snaps

I'm pretty sure there is a connect option in max 5, where you can select all the edges you want another row of edges and it'll do the same thing I mentioned with the midpoint snaps and the cut tool... but I'm stuck in max 4.2, and I don't feel like stepping up at this moment, since I can do so much stuff quicker in 4.2 than I could in 5, due to how familiar I am with the stuff :| so I can't really tell you where the connect option is or anything :(

tpe
12-16-2003, 08:29 PM
hehe, thanks multimediaman, dont worry i am sure that by the time i can remember more than one method there will be a new version anyway ;)

If anyone can tell me how to rotate a set of verts or polygons around an pivot defined by the position of the mouse rather than the rotate gismo, so that the pivot point does not have to be at the center of the selection but rather somewhere usefull like a where the knee is it would be very usefull too :)

tpe

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.