PDA

View Full Version : Selfbuilt rendermachine ???

TRick
12-16-2003, 02:19 PM
Basically a rendermachine is nothing more then:

- case (Antec Sonata maybe!!)
- board (onboard vga, snd and lan)
- cpu (Intel P4 3000/3200)
- cooler (Zalman 7000A maybe!!)
- ram (1-2 GB)
- disk (some basic silent one)

Can someone give me some opinions on what board, case and cpu-cooler to choose for a silent and not too expensive(I need five!!) rendernode that has a 100% load all the time ???

Rabid pitbull
12-16-2003, 04:32 PM
Dont forget the os! And when you say disk I assume u mean the hardrive, you will also need a cd drive to load the software. Might be possible to load a os and software on a lan?? Anyone no if this is can be done? Probably not so just spend the $30 and get a cd rom too.

As far as recommendations I am very pleased with the features and price of the Asus boards. I have a p4p800 it is very nice and stable, plus very easy to set up. Never heard any complaints about asus boards. Of course the model I quoted does not have on board video but I think you can get a very low end vga adapter for under $40. Pretty sure Asus has a p4p800 with onboard vgs too, so it may also be good Below is a very good vendor with a nice selection and pricing.

http://www.spartantech.com/

edit: forgot to mention the asus p4p800 (at least mine check asus sight for exact specs) line also has a built in fan control that will speed up fan as temp rises. If you get a pentium box set the included fan is already quiet and controlled with a temp sensor. I believe the matched set has longer warrenty from intel too, so may want to go that direction and save $$ on the zalmann fan.

TRick
12-16-2003, 06:03 PM
Thanks for your advice. I should have mentioned that it should be an Intel (2000/XP) box.

CDROM is only used on setup and will be removed afterwards. Every component that is not abs.neccessary must be removed to keep temp. and powerconsumption as low as possible (no CDROM, no sep.VGA-card, netw-card, etc). Hard disk should also be cool and power-gentle (only for OS and swap). Since I know load will always be 100% I don't need temp.control but a reliable cooler that keeps temparature and noise as low as it gets....

abcgraphix
12-16-2003, 07:27 PM
Have you looked into the mini-itx computers? They are pretty small (you can probably stack them and use a KVM switch), and you can find them with many different styles and features.
Take a look at the AMS barebones at newegg.com.

Just my 2 cents

TRick
12-16-2003, 08:27 PM
I've been looking into the Shuttle XPC SB6*** series, which looked very interesting (except for only 2 mem.banks and a 220V Power Supply). But first I would like to hear from someone who uses this system with a P4-3GHz at 100% load for some longer period...

Novakog
12-17-2003, 06:22 AM
I've spec'd this twice, but I'll do it again. Without OS (and with a Retail CPU, so it includes a cooler), you can build a 1 GB RAM, 2.8 GHz rendernode (with a basic CD drive and an 8 GB HD, just for OS and a couple programs), for $470 not including shipping and tax. With a P4 3.06 GHz, it's like $100 more expensive I think.

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=110181

That said, you can just get Linux for free or buy one OS and copy it onto identical machines.

TRick
12-17-2003, 08:13 AM
Thanks for the info Novakog.

If using the components you suggested, how low can you go with your Power Supply (4x512MB RAM, 3 GHz P4, 20GB HD 4500 RPM)??

Novakog
12-18-2003, 04:04 AM
Not really sure there, I'd actually have to go check what the components say and then add a few watts. I'm guessing like 300-350 watts, but someone more expert than I should answer.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.