PDA

View Full Version : South Korea's professional gamers (Getting paid big bucks to play)

RobertoOrtiz
12-16-2003, 02:18 PM
Quote:

"South Korea likes to describe itself as the world's most wired country - 70% of households have high-speed internet connections.
That level of access has fuelled a craze for cyber games that appears to consume an entire generation.

Gaming over the internet has proved so popular that professional teams backed by corporate sponsors now play in the world's first pro league.

At first I couldn't believe my luck - I was getting paid for something I really liked doing - but then I started to feel the pressure

Ten members of a professional gaming team sponsored by the mobile phone company KTF train all day long in a cramped three room apartment. In their late teens and early 20s, they are all at their computer screens blazing away at aliens - their fingers a blur on the keyboard.

Some of them make more than $100,000 a year.

But there is a price to pay. They live packed together in their company barracks, and are expected to spend 12 hours or more each day at a bank of computer terminals.

"At first I couldn't believe my luck - I was getting paid for something I really liked doing," said Lee Ji-hun, one of the veterans at 24 years old. "

>>link<< (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3321537.stm)

-R

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.