PDA

View Full Version : Painter wont start in limited account in XP

anakinskywalker
12-16-2003, 09:20 AM
Well, I installed Painter as an administrator and then logged off and tried to open it logged in as a limited account user.
Painter gives an error which says "Cannot open Brush files as they are read only" and sometimes it gives more errors. The application then exits.

Installing in the same login with administrator rights and later converting to a limited account does not work either.

Is there any way to solve this? I would like Painter to start in a limited account.

Thanks
Hrishi

Jinbrown
12-16-2003, 10:24 AM
Hi,

I can't help you with administrator/limited account rights as I know nothing about all that.

Assuming it's the version you're using, did you ever get Painter 8 to work for you at all?

If so, are the brushes you're trying to load from Painter 8 CD 2?

If so, in Windows, we need to remove the Read Only attribute from all files copied from the CD to the hard drive.

To do that, open each folder that contains files copied from the CD. Highlight all of the files in that folder, right click, and choose Properties. Then uncheck the Read Only box and if there is one, check the Archive box.

Repeat that for each folder containing files copied from the CD.

Also, make sure all brush libraries copied from Painter 8 CD 2 are located in the following folder:

Corel > Corel Painter 8 > Brushes

If they're not located in that folder, you won't be able to load them into Painter 8.

Now launch Painter 8 and you should be able to load your brush libraries.

Good luck with the permissions thing.

Happy Holidays, too! :)

anakinskywalker
12-17-2003, 04:12 AM
Thanks Jin,

Yes I have Painter 8. The "Upgrade" version you get if you have a copy of Photoshop.

But this does not appear to be a read only flag problem.
Somehow Painter refuses to work from any other account than an administrator account. No, we havnt got around to downloading the brushes from the 2nd CD.

I manange a team of artists and my company has a policy of allowing everyone to work in a limited account only, so that the users cant install unauthorised software. However Painter refuses to work in a limited account. So now we are using it through an administrative account.

So its okay as we are just having one copy of Painter right now which we bought just to check it out. But if everybody likes it then we might need to buy more copies and then everybody will need to be a administrator ..the thought of which will make our IT guys faint.

Lets see what the Corel support says. if I find a solution I will post it here.

Thanks again.

Jinbrown
12-17-2003, 09:29 PM
Hi,

Since Corel Painter tech support is, unfortunately, often lacking in knowledge, I'd suggest that you send this question directly to Painter Program Manager Rick Champagne at:

rick.champagne@corel.com

Be sure to explain the situation in detail, including your platform and OS version, and any other information that might help them to figure out what's going on.

If Corel expects professionals to use Painter, surely they have, or will have, a solution.

Best of luck, and Happy Holidays! :)

anakinskywalker
12-19-2003, 04:37 AM
Perhaps I am having my problems at the wrong time.

This is an autoreply fron Rick:
Thank you for your message. I am currently out of the office and will be returning Monday, January 5th, 2004. I will have no access to email and voicemail during this time. I will respond to your message upon my return. Thank you for your understanding.

And Jin you were right. Corel support has no clue which is strange.

Aargh!!

Jinbrown
12-19-2003, 11:08 PM
Hi,

It's a long wait 'til January 5th and there's no guarantee that Rick will be able to help, even then.

In the meantime, post your message to the following:

Painter list at Topica.com
http://www.topica.com/lists/painter-list/

Corel Painter Newsgroup
Add Server: cnews.corel.ca
Subscribe to: corel.graphic_apps.painter

Good luck. :)

anakinskywalker
01-13-2004, 03:16 AM
Ok this is the end of the journey. This is what Rick had to say:

"Unfortunately, Painter has never had support for limited users. This will change in future versions, but not in before Painter 9."

:cry:

- Hrishi

Stevehumus
02-10-2004, 09:42 PM
Hi,

I hope this is of some use despite being so very late. Nearly two months. I have recently been using Painter in a limited user account. I'm using XP Home. So far it seems to be functioning okay. The reason is perhaps that when I installed Painter this account was an administrator account. I recently changed it to a limited account for security reasons. Painter seems to function normally. Of course if Painter begins to vanish or something I suppose I'll have to change it back. But maybe the professional version of XP is different.

This certainly seems to be something that should have been mentioned in the user's guide under installation.

Best wishes, Steve.

Stevehumus
02-10-2004, 09:49 PM
Hi,

I hope this is of some use despite being so very late. Nearly two months. I have recently been using Painter in a limited user account. I'm using XP Home. So far it seems to be functioning okay. The reason is perhaps that when I installed Painter this account was an administrator account. I recently changed it to a limited account for security reasons. Painter seems to function normally. Of course if Painter begins to vanish or something I suppose I'll have to change it back. But maybe the professional version of XP is different.

This certainly seems to be something that should have been mentioned in the user's guide under installation.

Best wishes, Steve.

anakinskywalker
02-11-2004, 03:52 AM
Thanks Steve,

I haven't worked on XP Home, so woudn't be able to comment. But we tried your trick on XP Professional and unfortunately it did not work. Guess we have to wait till Painter 9.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.