PDA

View Full Version : changing a reference to writable

magilla
12-15-2003, 11:46 PM
Is there a way to create reference that is writable and does not prefix the name of the file to the objects in the ref'd file?

--magilla

misterdi
12-16-2003, 07:44 AM
What do you mean with writable?.

For the prefix, I think Maya need it to resolve any possibility of conflicting names.

So if you don't want file name as prefix, you can put your own string as prefix, as long as it will create unique names for every referrence object.

macaroniKazoo
12-16-2003, 08:25 AM
the only way to make a reference writable, is to import it. whcih obviously stops it being a reference anymore... bummer eh?

and i don't think theres a way to stop it from prefixing the referenced objects. its REALLY annoying isn't it... :surprised

:)

john_homer
12-16-2003, 07:12 PM
even if you create teh reference with mel, and leave out the previx flag, maya just used the name of the scene you are referencing as the prefix, so I guess you cant do it at all ;(

.j

magilla
12-16-2003, 10:37 PM
that's not what I wanted to hear guys :scream: I thought there might be a magical mel workaround.

Even if I edit the .ma file and remove the flags it still prefixes the name.
--
file -r -rpr "export" -rfn "exportRN" "T:/Magilla/RenderWare/export.ma";
--
I just can't see the reason behind doing this when there isn't any need to prefix names. Why provide the 'writable' option and not let you use it?

thanks anyway

--magilla

macaroniKazoo
12-16-2003, 10:41 PM
magilla: yeah its really frustrating isn't it. :scream:

:)

dwalden74
12-17-2003, 09:33 AM
I just can't see the reason behind doing this when there isn't any need to prefix names

Good point. The reason might be just to fit everything into a general scheme.... I used to think this was frustrating, but Ive become accustomed to working with namespaces, and with some fast MEL you can easily accomodate for these.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.