PDA

View Full Version : Right laptop ?..help for young architect

^[00]^
12-15-2003, 10:13 PM
Hi !

Need help in choosing right laptop !

I am beginner in 3d and planning to work with Sketchpad 3d, MAYA PE and StudioTools, Photoshop & Illustrator. The only choice I have is to buy laptop because I will travel a lot.

Which one to choose ?

Toshiba M30 with Centrino 1.4, GeForce Go 5200 (32 mb ram) -- for $1400
or
Sony VAIO with P4 2.8 GHz, ATI Rageon IPG 345M with video ram for same price $1300 ?

Thank you !

JA-forreal
12-15-2003, 11:13 PM
Go with the Geforce. It's the best bet for all your OpenGL based 3d apps. Geforce is less trouble in the end. Which means more fun. For Photoshop it doesn't matter.

JDex
12-15-2003, 11:53 PM
I really reccomend the Toshiba Satellite p25-s509... it is a real work horse. Check the specs at toshibas website and take my word for it, it is an outstanding machine.

neods
12-16-2003, 11:39 AM
JDEX, how is it compared to a G4 Powerbook? is the P25 heavy weight? and how is it in general? tell us more, becuase I've been cheking it out at the store. Quite nice

neods
12-16-2003, 11:47 AM
and hey, where can you get that Sony Vaio at that price? would like to know.. =)

JDex
12-16-2003, 12:00 PM
It really is a desktop replacement... it is certainly not "light", but it is not heavy in my opinion, in fact I have not left the house without it since the purchase. My professor has the big powerbook and we put them side to side. We agreed that the Toshiba's monitor was better (crisper and brighter) and that it was definitely more powerful. The DVD burner is also superior to the superdrive in that it burns faster (we tested with a one hour movie) and it also can burn on double sided caseless DVD-RAM discs. it also doesn't run as hot as laptops I've owned in the past, even though it has a much faster processor.

The integrated secure digital media slot is great and it has 1 firewire and 4 USB 2.0 ports as well as 802.11g built in. The battery life is comparable. Also I was really pleased that it can be expanded either with an additional harddrive or extra battery. The only complaints are that it comes with XPhome and the 32M GeforceGo. You can order it online from toshiba with Pro and the 64M card, I just needed it "now" and couldn't wait for the customizing and shipping.

Overall, it's the best purchase I've made in 2 or 3 years (and I have bought a lot of tech recently).

neods
12-16-2003, 01:26 PM
how much does it weight in kilos? and does it fit to a regular backpack? hehe, silly questions..

Novakog
12-17-2003, 07:17 AM
If a laptop can't fit in to a regular backpack, I don't consider it a laptop, I consider it a small, light desktop. Also, other than the ability to dual process, what does XP pro offer over XP home?

JDex
12-17-2003, 10:59 AM
On a laptop... XP Pro offers Remote Desktop which would be great. I could check on renders happening on my home machines and access my files from work, school, vacation. That is why it is a must have for me.

As to the weight of it, 9.9 pounds... you can do the conversion to kilos. It fits in the laptop case I purchased for it, I don't know if it would fit in a backpack since I haven't had a backpack since 1992. They are bad for your back and posture. :D

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.