PDA

View Full Version : External DVD burner

Cameo
12-15-2003, 09:49 PM
Can anyone offer any recommendations (mainly on cost) for an external DVD burner (portable or bulky - doesnt really matter).

Preferably at least 4X write speed if possible

Thanks

JA-forreal
12-16-2003, 01:41 AM
After much research I went with a DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD+R/DVD+RW from Pioneer.-

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_17221_12659331_tab=B,00.html?compName=PNA_ProductDetailComponent

They work with most of the media that is available off the shelf. I would say that a good DVD burner is a must for 2d/3d artist who works with large project files. And you can output professional looking presentations and demo reels that will play in most set top DVD players. Hope this helps you.

ggg
12-16-2003, 03:14 AM
new 8x external "DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD+R/DVD+RW" from sony is out now, so price for 4x sony 510 should drop. i have one and would highly recommend it, no errors yet at all and very fast, but bulky

JA-forreal
12-16-2003, 10:49 AM
I was looking at the new sony drive. How does it handle cheap generic media? Cheap disposable disk always come in handy for handouts. The Pioneer burn almost anything you can throw at it.
The sony looks like it could be my next upgrade drive.

ggg
12-16-2003, 01:59 PM
I've just been using maxell, sony, and i think we burned some fuji? sorry haven't tried any yet so not sure about generic cheaper ones, the spool of 50 maxells are a good deal though.

i agree a dvd burner is becoming must have for projects, in fact whatever happend to the specs for dual layer and double sided? I need more...

JA-forreal
12-16-2003, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by ggg

i agree a dvd burner is becoming must have for projects, in fact whatever happend to the specs for dual layer and double sided? I need more...

Oh yeah. I always hated breaking up my large project files into three or more cdrom sections. Now everything goes on one disk. I haven't copied live video captured from my mjpeg board to a dvd disk yet, but itís supposed to work. Iím just getting the hang of editing dvd presentations. And so far itís been wonderful. I don't know about the dual layer and double sided spec issues. But I did a quick search and came up with this.-

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=dual+layer+and+double+sided+dvd&btnG=Google+Search

It looks good. More storage is not a bad thing.

Cameo
05-15-2004, 12:01 AM
Just sticking this BTT because I finally got some money together to buy one! Just wondering if you guys would tell of your experiences using those burners or if anyone else can recommend any new ones which werent on the market back when i posted the original thread.

Cost, as allways, is still an issue :)

Cheers all

Cameo
05-19-2004, 12:03 AM
bttt

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.