PDA

View Full Version : What processor and motherboard?

nervouselk
12-15-2003, 09:36 PM
Ok, so now I am looking to buy a new CPU and motherboard to run Maya and photoshop a little faster than my current setup. What would people recomend considering I dont want to pay too much and would like to use my current Sdram memory. It is just the cpu and board I need to change at the moment. It all seems like a minefield to me when I look.

JA-forreal
12-16-2003, 01:55 AM
In my experience MSI motherboard products are great for professional 3d work but you must buy the best ram, etc. that you can afford for your system. Then Asus is perfect for building more flexible systems with bargain based ram, sound, graphics cards, etc. and overclocking. Both of these motherboard manufacturers offer stable platforms for building fast and reliable graphics workstations. And your peripherals will fit nicely into these setups. There are cheaper options like ECS but they are not too great IMO.

You have your pick of CPU's and AMD and INTEL make good choices. It's up to you.

nervouselk
12-16-2003, 11:30 AM
thanks for the reply, think iam going to go for a P4 2.4ghz and Asus motherboard and possibly clock it a bit. I think the motherboard iwas going for allows that in the bios.

thejackal1985
12-16-2003, 01:25 PM
if your going p4, recommend a 2.4C, asus P4C800, and 1GB of OCZ or Corsair

catnip
12-17-2003, 01:51 AM
Asus is a good motherboard brand. I have a P4P800 (Springdale chipset) and a 3.0 GHz P4. They work just fine!

About the RAM - You could probably use it, but unless it's 400 MHz DDR SDRAM, you won't get the 800 MHz bus speed from it. However, since you're looking for a relatively small speed increase for now, it might be enough for what you want to do. It's hard to say without knowing what your current setup is.

Also, the 2.4 GHz P4 is said to be a great choice for overclocking. I don't overclock, though - I've just read this on Ars Technica, etc. Make sure you get one of the newer Hyperthreaded 2.4s. There may have been an older 2.4 that didn't do hyperthreading, but I'm not sure.

nervouselk
12-17-2003, 09:05 AM
Hi, My current setup is a P3500 with 512mb of memory (should be more memory but it is not being recognised!) it is just too slow to work with photoshop in the resolution I need.

MattClary
12-17-2003, 12:50 PM
Asus and Gigabyte are good. MSI is acceptable. I prefer Abit. I've built systems with all of them in the last year to year and a half. The last three systems have been Abit NF 7 mobos with 2500+ Barton cores. Lots of bang for tiny little bucks.

jud
12-17-2003, 06:53 PM
I have an Asus P4B533 with a P4 2.4ghz and 1 gig ddr ram and it rocks,just be careful when choosing a M/B if you want to keep your ram then make sure the M/B can take that certain type of ram and check what FSB speed it can handle.

jud

nobrain
12-17-2003, 09:34 PM
Huh, those little things....

here's my monster, well maybe its not a monster anymore. definetley need more memory.

Its p4 1.7ghz (not hyperthreading), 256 mb ddr ram on a gigabyte mother board (the one that has dual bios and overclock 4 from system tray, although I've never used it). Ati radeon all in wonder video card,( sweet video card, comes with dedicated video hardware, svideo out tv in, a whole bunch a codecs to play with. My fav are divx codec by nimo and sorenson video 3)

I run 3d max 5 (fr stage 1) with frequent locks and crashes.

nervouselk
12-18-2003, 09:01 AM
Thanks for all the replys. Have now ordered the following to keep me going.

P4p800 Skt478 800FSB DDR400 Memory AGP 8X Gigabit LAN Motherboard

Intel Pentium 4 2.6ghz 800FSB SKT478 512k Cache

Kingston 1gb 400MHz DDR Non-ECC CL3 (3-3-3) DIMM

Does this sound like it will do the job? Hope so, am sick of sending parts back :)

MattClary
12-18-2003, 01:06 PM
Yep, looks fine. Did you get two sticks of memory so you can run in dual channel mode?

nervouselk
12-18-2003, 03:30 PM
two channel mode? what is this thy speak of!! grrr!!

3Dfx_Sage
12-18-2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by JA-forreal
[B]In my experience MSI motherboard products are great and in my experience... the total opposite! I have had a few MSI prducts and not one of them has worked properly, and it's not due to faulty prducts- it's things that are simply wrong with that product and they kinda forgot to mention it, took me a damned year and a huge loss of good reputation for me to figure out that a P4 mobo I got for some reason simply didn't work quite right with WindowsXP. What kind of idiot does it take to make a P4 mobo that doesnt work with WindwsXP? And, furthermore, what kind of idiot does such a thing and then hides that information deep in the tech support site, far from where any prospective buyer would ever look. You'll always find that that you can get a product by MSI that is comparable to a $100 - $250 more product from a more reputable company... I always spend the money to get the better one because there is a REASON that MSI crap is so cheap.

MattClary
12-18-2003, 06:19 PM
nervouselk, you're kidding, right? That's one of THE key benefits of the 865/875 chipset. You put two sticks of memory and it doubles the pathway to the memory. It ups your memory bandwidth a LOT. Go to Anandtech.com for more info. They have a section on "Chipsets", go look at the 875 chipset.

nobrain
12-18-2003, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by MattClary
nervouselk, you're kidding, right? That's one of THE key benefits of the 865/875 chipset. You put two sticks of memory and it doubles the pathway to the memory. It ups your memory bandwidth a LOT. Go to Anandtech.com for more info. They have a section on "Chipsets", go look at the 875 chipset.

I honestly didn't know about this, so its kinda like doubling the double data rate (ddr), which makes like 4 times as fast. wow!
and the fsb is at 800 but the memory is 400, correct me if I'm wrong but that makes for like 1600 mhz!

MattClary
12-18-2003, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by nobrain
the fsb is at 800 but the memory is 400, correct me if I'm wrong but that makes for like 1600 mhz!

Ummmm... I think your math is off somehwere. Read the articles at www.anandtech.com for technical details.

nervouselk
12-18-2003, 09:12 PM
yeah thanks for the link, all makes sense now.

3Dfx_Sage
12-19-2003, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by nobrain
and the fsb is at 800 but the memory is 400, correct me if I'm wrong but that makes for like 1600 mhz! the pysical memory speed is 200, with DDR applied it is 400 and with dual channel it is 800, so the memory and FSB are balanced well.

nobrain
12-19-2003, 04:04 PM
Thats comparable to rambus memory, (correct me if I'm wrong) which capable of operating at 800.

I still think going with ddr would be cheaper, since rambus is expensive.

MattClary
12-19-2003, 04:25 PM
That was the whole point. Intel decided to do this so they could up memory bandwidth and still use affordable memory.

flipnap
12-19-2003, 08:20 PM
yeah but what about the original question about whats the best for MAYA.. ive heard that maya really loves AMD, is that true?

JA-forreal
12-19-2003, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by 3Dfx_Sage
and in my experience... the total opposite! I have had a few MSI prducts and not one of them has worked properly, and it's not due to faulty prducts- it's things that are simply wrong with that product and they kinda forgot to mention it, took me a damned year and a huge loss of good reputation for me to figure out that a P4 mobo I got for some reason simply didn't work quite right with WindowsXP. I always spend the money to get the better one because there is a REASON that MSI crap is so cheap.

I only buy server boards and workstation boards from MSI. If there are any issues with other cheaper MSI boards I wouldn't know. MSI workstation boards are smokin' stable for me. Some manufacturers are flaky with their bargain boards. Asus is a good bet for a bargain system board that will run stable.

Have fun messing with the hardware. Hehehe. Yeah.

nervouselk
01-02-2004, 02:27 PM
just to let you all know I recieved the hardware, pluged it all in configured it, reinstalled XP from the CD over the existing copy and everything worked!!! Yes iam as shocked as you but it did. Nothing went wrong even re registering XP over the internet was no problem and didnt complain about having changed the hardware.

Thalaxis
01-02-2004, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by flipnap
yeah but what about the original question about whats the best for MAYA.. ive heard that maya really loves AMD, is that true?

Generally speaking, yes it is. It likes the Athlon and Athlon64
more than the P4.

That doesn't invalidate the P4 as a good choice, but it is worth a
look, especially now that there is a $250 Athlon64 on the market.

flipnap
01-02-2004, 04:13 PM
hey thalaxis thanks for the reply.. that was actually an older post when i first started my search.. i ended up with an opteron 146.. thanks, appreciate it though

Thalaxis
01-02-2004, 04:39 PM
No problem... I'm glad it worked out :)

I didn't realize that this was an old thread, since it was right up
at the top of the forum :)

3Dfx_Sage
01-02-2004, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by nervouselk
just to let you all know I recieved the hardware, pluged it all in configured it, reinstalled XP from the CD over the existing copy and everything worked!!! Yes iam as shocked as you but it did. Nothing went wrong even re registering XP over the internet was no problem and didnt complain about having changed the hardware. w00t w00t! Now, lemme borrow that thing for some vid card benchmarks :p

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.