PDA

View Full Version : virtual PC question

t-man152
12-15-2003, 09:30 PM
I just saw this app from microsoft called virtual PC for mac. with this you can run windows XP on a mac. so my question is since I am thinking of getting a new computer is would I be able to run my games on virtual pc. I will purchase Maya, photoshop cs after deciding if I will continue with PC or switch to Mac. so what I want to know is will my PC games(unreal 2, unreal tournament, gta vc,etc) work on virtual pc?

imashination
12-15-2003, 11:31 PM
Those games will work in the same way that you could use a go kart in an F1 race.

quinox
12-15-2003, 11:33 PM
it will probably work... I played a bit with VWMare a while ago, and was amazed by the level of faking... you even have a bios :)

But: its slow... its really slow. And I noticed it with only the GUI of linux. So don't count on it that you can run heavy apps, like Unreal, smoothly

t-man152
12-16-2003, 12:28 AM
thanks for the feedback

FredSpeaks
12-16-2003, 01:15 AM
Also to note, VPC is not yet supported on th G5.

beaker
12-16-2003, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by t-man152
I just saw this app from microsoft called virtual PC for mac. with this you can run windows XP on a mac. so my question is since I am thinking of getting a new computer is would I be able to run my games on virtual pc. I will purchase Maya, photoshop cs after deciding if I will continue with PC or switch to Mac. so what I want to know is will my PC games(unreal 2, unreal tournament, gta vc,etc) work on virtual pc?
unreal 2 and unreal tournament run nativly on mac. :)

Yes you can run games on it, but typically it runs at about 1/2 the speed of mhz that your machine is. So a 2 ghz mac will run like a 1 ghz pc in emulation. Also Alias charges money to switch platforms(not sure what it is now, but it was 1k to switch platforms before the price drop).

frostfyre
12-16-2003, 05:39 AM
IIRC, virtual PC emulates all the hardware, even the video card. It's like running an 8mb video card on a PC and hoping for good games performance.

This may have changed in the most recent version, though.

ages
12-16-2003, 12:38 PM
http://www.macosrumors.com/

scroll down to vpc part.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.