PDA

View Full Version : Short Video/Animation : Little Kitchen U.F.O

Pufferfish
12-15-2003, 08:07 PM
I made this little video/animation just to test if I can make a nice and believable composition with pretty basic equipment. Used my old sony digital 8 for the background footage and then modelled/animated the ufo in 3DMax. Final composition was made in AE.

Would be nice to know what you think of it.

Here's a little pic of it in full resolution.
http://www.jsaarinen.com/animation/kitchen-ufo.jpg

And the animation itself : Little Kitchen U.F.O. (4.9mb) (http://www.jsaarinen.com/animation/littlekitchenufo.mov)

ghosty
12-15-2003, 08:27 PM
heh, that was good, everything look very realistic. however, the water is a little violent when the ufo thingy touch the glass.

almost perfect.
9.9/10

JuanAntonio
12-15-2003, 08:37 PM
I get those in my kitchen too. Bloody nuisance...

Looks fantastic! :thumbsup: maybe the glass would move slightly when the UFO hits it?

colintheys
12-15-2003, 09:42 PM
Wow. That was really good. There was one moment when the ball seemed brighter in its reflection off of the pot that it did viewed straight on, which was a little odd, but is was basically flawless (as far as I could tell).

However, if you consider 3dsmax and aftereffects "basic" I'd hate to see your idea of "real!" I wish I could afford to call that basic. hehe. also, the quality of the image was very nice. Far superior to my canon (and apparently still functioning after more than 3 months, which I can't say for my piece of junk, which has been to the service center 4 times in one year and still doesn't work!)

Pufferfish
12-15-2003, 10:47 PM
ghosty/JuanAntonio: yep, I agree that the water is too powerful, so I made the glass move a bit, hope it looks better now.

colintheys: hehee, what I ment with the "basic" was mostly my crappy digital 8 camera compared to beta, HD or any other better cameras without any serious artifacts in quality. I dont consider Max or AE to be "basic", heh and I hardly can use em.

I agree with you about the reflection issue, the reflection indeed is brighter but I thought to leave it, because the lighting is coming from that side anyhow, so it actually should be brighter..it may be too bright though *shrugs*

The clip is now updated and finished.. (I hope, otherwise this should be in WIP section )

AJ
12-15-2003, 10:55 PM
Absolutely perfect...

I simply wish it was longer!

:D

[TOY]Snoop
12-15-2003, 11:13 PM
Hello,

What bothers me in this animation is that the flothing ball isn't influenced by the little ball. It should waggle a little more, even some slight banking or pitching would improve it lots.
Looks are great, timing too.
Good luck :)

Greets

Pufferfish
12-16-2003, 08:10 AM
AJ_23: hehe cheers :beer:

[TOY]Snoop : I agree, that really would make it more realistic. Thank you.

ILS
07-09-2004, 07:18 PM
how did you get that water splash effect?

edfenner
07-09-2004, 07:54 PM
This is really great. But, I do feel the need for more reflection. The counter, and tray are highly reflective, but don't show the UFO.
The same goes for the pitcher, it seems it should show the movement as it goes by.
One other point. I thought I noticed this, so I looked at it frame by frame - the ball under the UFO takes a weird twist and never actually hits the glass. The movement of the "chain" seems un-natural, like it was hand keyframed but not quite right.

Keiyentai
07-09-2004, 08:57 PM
Amazing. The water looks outstanding. :thumbsup: Love the little UFO design too.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.