PDA

View Full Version : Smart soldiers decided to flee the Rings battle: Article about LOTR Massive

RobertoOrtiz
12-15-2003, 06:24 PM
Quote:
"I want battles like nothing anyone has ever seen on screen," Jackson said. I want every soldier fighting for himself - you have to come up with something."

Special effects designer Richard Taylor says this led to the writing of a "massive" principal code for the battle to give more than 200,000 digitized soldiers and some 6,000 horses distinctiveness and individuality.

"So to create these individual agents, there was a code that was especially written and developed," Taylor says, adding that it was like being involved in a living work of science fiction.

"It was the fact that you could get a computer to think for itself, that you could get 200,000 agents within the computer to think for themselves.

"So each of these computerized soldiers is assessing the environment around them, drawing on a repertoire of military moves that have been taught them through motion capture - determining how they will combat the enemy, step over the terrain, deal with obstacles in front of them through their own intelligence - and there's 200,000 of them doing that."

Basically, all the necessary information for decision-making was fed into this network of computers without determining for them whether they would win or lose.

But this attempt to ensure that they acted spontaneously almost sabotaged the the battleground sequences.

"For the first two years, the biggest problem we had was soldiers fleeing the field of battle," Taylor said."

>>Link<< (http://www.canada.com/montreal/montrealgazette/story.asp?id=7530006A-C103-4E13-9A55-F6EFCC111ACC)

-R

Pedro
12-15-2003, 06:53 PM
I'm pretty sure this was discussed here last year.

EnergyMan
12-15-2003, 07:36 PM
I know for sure it's on the TTT extended DVD, and it might be on the first extended dvd as well. They didn't actually flee the scene, they just did what they were told. They were told to just run in the same direction they were facing until they saw someone. The ones that fled, were facing away from the battle and were placed at distances where they couldn't hear or see far enough. (They had limited vision and hearing bound by spheres).

That article totally misinterprets what happened.

eliseu gouveia
12-15-2003, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by RobertoOrtiz
"For the first two years, the biggest problem we had was soldiers fleeing the field of battle," Taylor said." [/B]

LOL

But of course!! That only shows they´re smart ;) .

Virum
12-15-2003, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Pedro
I'm pretty sure this was discussed here last year.

Its on the TT extended disks. After that they made like texture maps that told them where to go if they ran to far in one direction.....Like blue meant start heading more to the right, and green to the left.

quid
12-15-2003, 08:49 PM
Can you imagine the fun it would be to write the behavior of those corwds? If it was me, I'd have a few of the characters do the moonwalk each time after they kill a bad guy. Oh and there would be lots of eye pocking too...:scream:

eliseu gouveia
12-15-2003, 09:25 PM
They BETTER have written into the code the standard comicbook gorilla´s victory pose where they roar and whack their chest repeatedly with their fists.:cool:

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.