Looks like a new cintiq is coming with a 13 inch HD display

http://cintiq13hd.wacom.com/

estimated price in EU about 900 €

jboris
03-19-2013, 12:18 PM
Looks like a new cintiq is coming with a 13 inch HD display

http://cintiq13hd.wacom.com/

estimated price in EU about 900 €

they really need to make a high-quality tablet. I'd really like a wacom without being tethered to a desk!

AJ
03-19-2013, 12:19 PM
That looks really nice and at a good price too. It also gets me excited about their proposed tablet.

patfour
03-19-2013, 01:24 PM
That is a thing of beauty, and I'm almost completely sold on buying one as soon as it's available. Only thing is I don't fully understand the "3-in-1 cable"; I get the HDMI and USB, but what is that power supply? From the product page (http://www.wacom.com/products/pen-displays/cintiq/cintiq-13hd) on Wacom's site:

Power Supply Input 100-240 VAC, 50-60 Hz

Power Supply Output 19 VDC 1.58 A (max)

Does that mean it needs a wall outlet? If there's no way to draw power from my laptop and use it on-the-go, then I'll give it a miss... especially if it has another god-forsaken breaker box like the 12WX.

SheepFactory
03-19-2013, 01:39 PM
Yea I am %100 sure it will require a wall outlet like every other cintiq. Other than that it is a thing of beauty though.

patfour
03-19-2013, 01:58 PM
Man, that is frustrating. It's been ~6 years since the 12WX came out, and devices from Lenovo (http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/06/lenovo-thinkvision-lt1423p-mobile-monitor/)and Yiynova (http://www.amazon.com/Yiynova-DP10HD-Digitizer-Display-Windows/dp/B008EYA9EG) can get power from USB; how is Wacom so far behind on this?

I can understand having a wall outlet option to prolong laptop battery life (but really, if an outlet's nearby I'd just plug in the laptop), but making it a necessity is a deal-breaker for me.

mustique
03-19-2013, 03:49 PM
Touch input and inbuilt battery would have been nice. (along with a single tunderbolt connection)

Lets see what their tabletPC brings to the table. I hope that one willl also have the option to be connected to other PCs/macs just like a cintiq. Cause performance won't be great on low power intel cpu's.

AJ
03-19-2013, 04:24 PM
Tough crowd...

techmage
03-19-2013, 04:44 PM
I will most certainly buy the touch version of that.

and ya thunderbolt would be nice

thunderbolt + touch and I'd be sold

I don't think they could make this without an extra power supply though unless they put a lower quality screen on it. All the usb powered LCD screens don't have as good picture quality as you can get when it has an ac adaptor

SheepFactory
03-19-2013, 04:44 PM
Hopefully they will have one for demoing at GDC expo so we can get some hands on impressions from people who try it.

gamedeveloper
03-19-2013, 05:39 PM
Detailed info video:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/19/wacom-cintiq-13hd-hands-on/

mustique
03-19-2013, 05:41 PM
... I don't think they could make this without an extra power supply though unless they put a lower quality screen on it. All the usb powered LCD screens don't have as good picture quality as you can get when it has an ac adaptor

On the wacom site the power draw of that cintiq is listed as 9 watts.
http://cintiq13hd.wacom.com/en (look at specifications - see more)

So an ordinary ultrabook battery could run it easily for about 15 hours.
Would have costed another 100 bucks which would have been worth the convenience.
Maybe they feared it would cannibalize future sails of their tabletPC.

Artbot
03-19-2013, 05:50 PM
Oooo! Look! The pen comes in a case!

SOLD!

Seriously, one inch bigger and the big improvement is no power brick and switch box? Big whoop. Haven't Wacom been paying attention at all? Why isn't this at least 15"?

EDIT: It appears there is still a power brick, though no photos of it have been published yet. They seem to be doing everything they can to hide it.

patfour
03-19-2013, 05:52 PM
I don't think they could make this without an extra power supply though unless they put a lower quality screen on it. All the usb powered LCD screens don't have as good picture quality as you can get when it has an ac adaptor
That's an interesting point I hadn't considered. I'd also forgotten Wacom's DTU-1031 is USB-powered, so it wasn't fair for me to call them "behind"--I just wish they'd make an option with the 1031's mobility and the 13HD's screen space, even if it had a lower quality panel.

Tough crowd...
Ha, guilty as charged. Thing is, I'm *this close* to wanting one. I'm happy with my 22HD, and I'd really like another Cintiq to travel with--I was hoping this would be it, but it's not if it needs an AC adapter.

Based on the product cycle between the 12WX and 13HD, maybe I should cross my fingers for 2019...

patfour
03-19-2013, 05:55 PM
the big improvement is no power brick and switch box?

Wacom's specifications page now lists that it does use an AC adapter :\

Edit: Wait, it says "USB 2.0 and AC Power adaptors"... does that mean there is an option to power through USB, or is that part referring to the data connection? If USB power is an option, I take back all my nay-saying.

Artbot
03-19-2013, 06:10 PM
That awful Endgadget video spends most of its 6 minutes on the amazing piece of plastic that is the new stand and the fact that Photoshop has masks. You can't even see where the wires go since they fall out of frame. Does one lead to a power brick on the floor or what? What a load of crap (the video, not necessarily the Wacom, though that's to be determined since this video tells us nothing).

fuss
03-19-2013, 06:51 PM
Tough crowd...

Tough crowd, really? Wacom have been sitting on their asses for years now while charging premium and innovating little.

Why would anyone want to buy this thing, anyway? For 900 EUR (it's almost 1.200 USD as of today!) you can get a fully fledged tablet pc with a comparable display size and pressure sensitive pen to boot.

P.S. - That Engadget review sucked indeed. 6 minutes of talking, not even a SINGLE brush stroke.

P.P.S. - 900 EUR for this, I dread to think how much they will charge for their tablet pc.

darthviper107
03-19-2013, 06:53 PM
Oooo! Look! The pen comes in a case!

SOLD!

Seriously, one inch bigger and the big improvement is no power brick and switch box? Big whoop. Haven't Wacom been paying attention at all? Why isn't this at least 15"?

EDIT: It appears there is still a power brick, though no photos of it have been published yet. They seem to be doing everything they can to hide it.

It's a good upgrade over the 12" but in these days for even these updates it's still overpriced.

John Keates
03-19-2013, 07:47 PM
I would wait to hear if it has the jittering problems of the 12wx before taking the plunge... The higher resolution would make it much more useful though. I wander how portable it realy is...

Cometsoft
03-19-2013, 08:04 PM
Tough crowd, really? Wacom have been sitting on their asses for years now while charging premium and innovating little.

Why would anyone want to buy this thing, anyway? For 900 EUR (it's almost 1.200 USD as of today!) you can get a fully fledged tablet pc with a comparable display size and pressure sensitive pen to boot.

P.S. - That Engadget review sucked indeed. 6 minutes of talking, not even a SINGLE brush stroke.

P.P.S. - 900 EUR for this, I dread to think how much they will charge for their tablet pc.

I didn't watch the video, but I would rather use the OS, cpu, fans, and hard drive from a desktop, than something on my lap. Especially with ZBrush. Not wild about it though, if it gets too hot, the cords are too heavy and it stutters. I shall wait and see.

CHRiTTeR
03-19-2013, 08:49 PM

ah, at least someone who shares my opinion

SheepFactory
03-19-2013, 09:00 PM
That awful Endgadget video spends most of its 6 minutes on the amazing piece of plastic that is the new stand and the fact that Photoshop has masks. You can't even see where the wires go since they fall out of frame. Does one lead to a power brick on the floor or what? What a load of crap (the video, not necessarily the Wacom, though that's to be determined since this video tells us nothing).

That was the worst demo video I have ever seen.

stew
03-19-2013, 09:12 PM
Looks intriguing. I wouldn't want this as a tablet PC though - typically my monitors and input devices outlive the rest of my hardware by many years (my mouse is 13 years old). I don't want to have to replace an expensive display/tablet just because I need a faster CPU.

AJ
03-19-2013, 09:22 PM
Tough crowd, really? Wacom have been sitting on their asses for years now while charging premium and innovating little.I was coming from the perspective that a new device has been unveiled and people are immediately complaining about everything that it isn't. Granted, that's human nature but I look at it as a device with the same resolution of the 24HD but on a smaller screen, lighter, with a much smaller footprint & half the cost.

P.P.S. - 900 EUR for this, I dread to think how much they will charge for their tablet pc.Well the only comparable product currently on the market (from what Wacom have stated will be their tablet) is the Modbook Pro (http://www.modbook.com/modbookpro) , of which the lowest specced/priced version comes in at $3499 USD.

I know the general consensus here is that Wacom charge too much for their products but I have yet to see a single competing product that offers the build quality and support that their devices have.

darthviper107
03-19-2013, 09:28 PM
Well, in this range there's various tablets that can do most of the same stuff--like the Surface Pro which is 1080p touch screen that's also a computer and has a Wacom digitizer, all for the same price. Only difference is the lower touch sensitivity and no tilt.

And later this year Lenovo is offering a wireless touch monitor that also has a Wacom digitizer that's half the cost.

ThE_JacO
03-19-2013, 11:59 PM
I was coming from the perspective that a new device has been unveiled and people are immediately complaining about everything that it isn't. Granted, that's human nature but I look at it as a device with the same resolution of the 24HD but on a smaller screen, lighter, with a much smaller footprint & half the cost.

Well the only comparable product currently on the market (from what Wacom have stated will be their tablet) is the Modbook Pro (http://www.modbook.com/modbookpro) , of which the lowest specced/priced version comes in at $3499 USD.

I know the general consensus here is that Wacom charge too much for their products but I have yet to see a single competing product that offers the build quality and support that their devices have.
I know what you're saying, and I agree in principle, but in this particular case they are, yet again, displaying a brute abuse of their monopoly and patents book (the one that expired apparently isn't going to crack their hold).

Yes, comparable offers have higher prices, but also much more to them, and lacking the market penetration and patents book Wacom has are forced into niche pricing.
A different, and more technically aligned, kind of comparison though shows that it's hugely overpriced.

At 500-600$ it would be interesting, but hitting four digits for something that barely compares to manufacturing costs of things with twice the amount of tech and pieces to them that are sold for less than 500$ makes it overpriced.

I'm sort of trepidant for their tablet offer, but this device, which is what I hope their tablet to be (with the addition of the PC hardware, of course) priced like that makes me fear for the pricing of that item will be an unrealistic 2k or more, when comparable offers (surface pro) sans the tilt (which I don't need) that Wacom themselves crippled by offering crappy drivers are half that price.

Either they want to milk the userbase early with a CPU less version of their tablet before selling that for a reasonable price and slicing the price of this by half in the future, or they will release their most interesting product in years next for an absurd price tag. Both ways, they hold to their old, despicable habits, but there's little you can do against artificial monopolies like theirs as a customer.

rock
03-20-2013, 12:11 AM
This 13HD has serious bezel. A small teacup can fit on it. If you look across Wacom product lines, each one is missing something. So when the true mobile tablet comes out in June, it will also be missing some features or have some limitations that the other products in the line have. Wacom do this because of no competition. They do this so that it will not canabalize their other products. All companies do this. Just look around your house and count how many power adapters you have. So instead of giving us what we need, they give us what we don't want.

patfour
03-20-2013, 12:54 AM
people are immediately complaining about everything that it isn't. Granted, that's human nature

If children whine about gifts they've been given for free, that's bratty. If consumers discuss why they won't spend $1,000 on something that doesn't meet their needs, that's good judgment.

ThE_JacO
03-20-2013, 01:04 AM
look around your house and count how many power adapters you have. So instead of giving us what we need, they give us what we don't want.
One by my bed, that comes out as a USB cable my kindle, tablet, smartphone, mp3player and several other things can use. That's it.

The only area with more than one is my living room and there are several that are different because my NAS, PS3 and so on all require vastly different voltage and draw different Amperages.

I also see scaling of features and rarely different intersections of features in all the electronics I have around.

My top of the line monitor with 12bit LUT doesn't lack the gaming features of quicksetting OSD options of the cheaper, gaming oriented ones.

My SOHO level NAS doesn't miss anything that the cheaper personal one bayers have, it only lacks the features found in the more expensive, enterprise level ones.

My expensive mechanical keyboard doesn't lack the meta key functions of the cheaper versions.

Smartphones, none of them, work the way you say all companies work. Tablets dont. Most laptops don't. My TV, hi-fi, consoles, appliances, small footprint server, workstation and other items don't.

I really don't see your point, sorry.

Steve-S
03-20-2013, 04:52 AM
USB 2???? :banghead:

ThE_JacO
03-20-2013, 05:23 AM
USB 2???? :banghead:
What would you need USB3 on it for?
It's not a hub, the usb is for the input device side of things, you hardly need more than a handful of kBps of bandwidth.

AJ
03-20-2013, 10:17 AM
I know what you're saying, and I agree in principle, but in this particular case they are, yet again, displaying a brute abuse of their monopoly and patents book (the one that expired apparently isn't going to crack their hold).I admit that as there are no viable competing products (in my experience) for Wacom, my opinion of the value of their devices may well be skewed. I also don't know to what effect their patents have crippled competition or artificially inflated their hold on the market.

That said, I do know that in the grand scheme of the electronic devices people mention by way of price comparison , pressure sensitive graphic tablets/screens aimed at professionals are targeting a minuscule demographic.

A different, and more technically aligned, kind of comparison though shows that it's hugely overpriced.

At 500-600$ it would be interesting, but hitting four digits for something that barely compares to manufacturing costs of things with twice the amount of tech and pieces to them that are sold for less than 500$ makes it overpriced.The tech that you're comparing is produced in vast quantities for a much, much larger consumer base. Take a cross-section of people on the street who own a tablet device and then compare that to those who own a graphics tablet (or even know what one is) and the difference will be staggering. I realise that you and others are implying that this would be down to Wacom holding the market share via patents...etc. but you also have to factor in demand.

I'm sort of trepidant for their tablet offer, but this device, which is what I hope their tablet to be (with the addition of the PC hardware, of course) priced like that makes me fear for the pricing of that item will be an unrealistic 2k or moreI am expecting a machine capable of running Photoshop, hopefully Zbrush or similar. I would be hard pushed to find a standard laptop for >$2k that could offer that power. I could be wrong in this assumption but it feels as if people want a device comparable to say a $300 Android tablet but with the capabilities of a Cintiq. If that were the case then what you would have is a fantastic pressure sensitive screen crippled by a device that is incapable of utilizing that technology at any functional level.

Either they want to milk the userbase early with a CPU less version of their tablet before selling that for a reasonable price and slicing the price of this by half in the future, or they will release their most interesting product in years next for an absurd price tag. Both ways, they hold to their old, despicable habits, but there's little you can do against artificial monopolies like theirs as a customer.I can't argue with this, not because I think you're right (which I usually do!) but because this enters the vague territory that Wacom are running their business as a calculated, moustache twirling set of dastardly villains - which is a stance consumers take all too often. The reason I can't argue against it is that all will happen is people will tell me how naive I am if I don't think large corporations are evil...etc. and I don't have the energy to enter into that den of ferrets. :)

Dillster
03-20-2013, 12:38 PM
This makes it a tough choice between the new Cintiq and the Surface Pro. The power brick is dissapointing and the cable as thick as a babys arm seems overkill. Even the cheap Yiynova I bought a while back manages with a single slim USB lead.
If the Surface Pro gets pressure sensitivity fixed for photoshop and ZBrush soon, that's probably where the funds I have available for upgrading will go.

techmage
03-20-2013, 05:44 PM
The price doesn't bother me too much....

I mean apple charges a 33% premium over any given windows pc.

To get a device thats well manufactured, will outlast the competition, is made with top quality components, has really good drivers, and carries the reputation of having those things, you should expect to pay around 33% more.

Where I would have a problem is if, for some reason, the thing broke in 2 years. But I still have an intuos 2 that is going strong without any issue, and drivers still work well on every OS that has come out since. Thats like 10 years of great user experience out of one pen tablet. I would be inclined to buy wacom even if there is a 33% premium just because I know the thing will last me 10 years.

Has anyone other tablet company gained the reputation of making a product that lasts 10 years?

SheepFactory
03-20-2013, 05:51 PM
I just want to know if it actually draws power from the USB or if it has a brick like the 13". That shitty engadget demo goes out of it's way to not show any info people might actually be interested in about the Cintiq.

patfour
03-20-2013, 10:26 PM
I've been giving some more thought to that cable; here's the exact wording on the site:

Wacom 3-in-1 cable with video (HDMI), USB 2.0 and AC Power adaptors
It'd be great if that meant the cable has:
--- HDMI for video
--- Power adapters for USB and AC

...but I guess it's more likely to mean:
--- HDMI for video
--- USB for data
--- AC Power adapter for power supply

If the machine works without a power brick, Wacom ought to be promoting that feature. Assuming the display does need an adapter and outlet, it seems disingenuous not to make that clear while advertising the "lightweight, compact design" that will "reduce cable clutter."

Jaspar
03-21-2013, 12:07 PM
If you look in the comments below the Endgadget hands-on, there are updates about the power. It apparently doesn't have a power brick, just a mains plug. Am unclear where the transformer is housed in that case, so it would be nice to have clearer details of the situation.

evanfotis
03-21-2013, 01:04 PM
The convenient new 3-in-1 cable reduces cable clutter and makes setup to any Mac or PC a snap.
Cables included: Wacom 3-in-1
cable (USB, HDMI, power)
power adapter

http://wacom.eu.server743-han.de-nserver.de/uploads/images/cintiq13/cintiq13_3in1_mini.jpg

http://eu.shop.wacom.eu/products/cintiq/cintiq-13hd//541?c=70177

It definitely has a power adapter. Now its size is another issue. Hopefully it could be a small one like some external HDD have.

strangerthings
03-21-2013, 01:27 PM
I just want to know if it actually draws power from the USB or if it has a brick like the 13". That shitty engadget demo goes out of it's way to not show any info people might actually be interested in about the Cintiq.

It's definitely a brick - but not sure if it's a small brick or a Wall one.
100 to 240 VAC, 50/60Hz19 VDC, 1.58 A (max)
Max. Power Consumption: 9.0 W, 1 W or less when asleep 0.5 W or less when off

What's more worrying is it's OSX 10.6.8 only or later!? Why it's only a monitor with a pointing device! Not that it concerns me.

The Other thing is the lead shows a Proprietary connector it seems for the power at the end of the 3 way lead! Means having to rely on wacom to supply a brick if one blows.

Unboxing… but not shown the brick (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sAspqvVGYg)

http://i1.wp.com/9to5mac.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/wacom_cintiq_13hd_7.jpg?fit=1000%2C1000

I do think it's insane the way they have connected the thing. Still better than the 12wx.

LuckyBug
03-21-2013, 01:45 PM
For that money cintiq display should be more like dreamcolor, but instead it is low end display that is overpriced, so no thanks I would pay maybe 1/4 of the current price and not a dime more.

strangerthings
03-21-2013, 03:00 PM
For that money cintiq display should be more like dreamcolor, but instead it is low end display that is overpriced, so no thanks I would pay maybe 1/4 of the current price and not a dime more.

Well it's not low end... it's a 13" 1920x1080 IPS screen. You can only work with panels that are made, and given that the the smallest s-ips panels are 17" and I am not even sure they are made any more. All 19"+

So you want a 13" 2,048 level of sensitivity, with angle detection with a 1080p res monitor for £250... Hey guess what. So do I!!

{rolls eyes so far back I can see my own brain}

LuckyBug
03-21-2013, 03:26 PM
Is is very nice specification about 2,048 levels of sensitivity, with angle detection, but I'm not talking about that and I could live without that, the display should be better.
For example dell u2410 has 96% adobe rgb coverage and it's not professional he has some problems and wacom cintiq has much lower coverage 75% adober rgb, is it high end I dont think so.
Therefore no I don't wanna pay overpriced toy.

strangerthings
03-21-2013, 03:53 PM
Is is very nice specification about 2,048 levels of sensitivity, with angle detection, but I'm not talking about that and I could live without that, the display should be better.
For example dell u2410 has 96% adobe rgb coverage and it's not professional he has some problems and wacom cintiq has much lower coverage 75% adober rgb, is it high end I dont think so.
Therefore no I don't wanna pay overpriced toy.

So you could live without the Pressure sensitivity and angle detection?!!? Then why on earth would you want ANYTHING like this?!?! It's not just a monitor or dumb touchscreen. If you think this is a over priced toy you clearly don't know what it is. Or have any idea how market forces work.

What's the point of talking about a 24" Dell against a 13" - This is the BEST panel THAT exists that they could use. For the record the 24HD does have 92% Gamaut - and that $3,500...

And if you really think that colour gamut makes that much of a difference, perhaps you should ditch your toy Dell and get an EIZO ColorEdge CG232W-BK - 22.5" and about 6,000 Dollars.

LuckyBug
03-21-2013, 03:58 PM
You can read my point but you are just ignorant, enjoy in that little crap, it is your money after all not mine :)

strangerthings
03-21-2013, 05:00 PM
In what way am I ignorant? Nothing you have said is correct in any way. Give me one magical device that does what you want... 13" - 1080p - sIPS - pen enabled that costs anywhere near what this does?

I genuinely have not read so much rubbish ever on CCTalk as your last few posts, especially coming from someone that appears be as skilled and talented as you!?

:banghead:

AJ
03-21-2013, 05:13 PM
Guys, I don't think it's that important.

Artbot
03-21-2013, 05:15 PM
Unboxing… but not shown the brick (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sAspqvVGYg)

My first thought was, Wow, people are still making those retarded unboxing videos? Then I realized it's just some fake unboxing done by some reseller or someone. The cords are just jumbled in the box like that? Please. Then it leaps right to the working setup while showing even less than the awful endgadget video.

Looks like all indications point to it still having a power brick, which they have gone out of their way to not show anywhere. Some guy on another forum claimed to have seen it at CES or some show and said it had a brick, so take that for what it's worth. It's easy to believe since that lead of the cord is too short to reach a wall plug or box. It would definitely need a longer cord to attach to that, and with the new, thinner screen, it all just points to a power brick.

patfour
03-22-2013, 02:36 PM
which they have gone out of their way to not show anywhere.
Agreed, and as a marketing decision I think this is bad form. I could understand if they made the brick known-but-downplayed, but it seems more like they're trying to keep consumers completely unaware. To me that's not just misleading, but short-sighted as well; it makes the product look cooler now at the cost of disappointment later on.

Again, I hope I'll be proven wrong and have to eat my words... but if the 13HD has the mobility I'm looking for, it doesn't make sense for Wacom not to say so.

CHRiTTeR
03-22-2013, 11:59 PM
I dont think 'hiding the brick' is a big surprise. Every commercial for some electronic equipment does this afaik. Its to be expected.

rock
03-23-2013, 12:27 PM
Hope I am wrong, but I have a feeling about the mobile Wacom tablet: 8GB, no SD card, HD Gorilla 2 screen, 2048 pressure sensitivity, Android/iOS/Windows RT (not Windows 8), $1999.98. :)

strangerthings
03-23-2013, 01:20 PM
I know they are talking about doing a tablet themselves - but they do better with partnerships. They have zero experience in they rest of the hardware and bound to be v.v.expensive and shonky. Panasonic's 4K 20" tablet is the future for this kinda thing.

If they did your specs are wacko. iOS?!?!?! Would be win 8 full. RT is utterly utterly pointless. There is not design software.

Why no SD Card? It would be aimed at designers. Possibly even CF card if they went proper high end.

patfour
03-23-2013, 11:14 PM
I dont think 'hiding the brick' is a big surprise. Every commercial for some electronic equipment does this afaik. Its to be expected.

I see your point. For me though, expectations depend on the type of device being marketed:

1. Desktop computers/monitors: usually need a brick to operate, which is fine because it doesn't need to be carried around.
2. Laptops: need a brick to charge, but can function without being plugged in
3. Portable peripherals: expected to be powered by battery or USB cable

It seems like the 13HD probably belongs in the first category, but its promotion reads to me as if it fit in the 3rd.

As a counter example, I'm fine with Lacie's distinction between external hard drives for desktop and portable use; they list out system requirements and box contents in more detail than Wacom is doing with the 13HD.

SheepFactory
03-24-2013, 12:26 AM
Hope I am wrong, but I have a feeling about the mobile Wacom tablet: 8GB, no SD card, HD Gorilla 2 screen, 2048 pressure sensitivity, Android/iOS/Windows RT (not Windows 8), $1999.98. :)

That would be a useless tablet since none of those OS's run the softwares you would want a pro tablet to run.

fablefox
03-24-2013, 10:41 AM
That would be a useless tablet since none of those OS's run the softwares you would want a pro tablet to run.

I think that was his main point for the joke :-) Hence the 'no' in the bracket.

Dillster
03-24-2013, 11:09 AM

I think so too. Wacom hide the brick in the current Cintiq 12WX adverts.

rock
03-25-2013, 04:41 AM
I think that was his main point for the joke :-) Hence the 'no' in the bracket.

Yep. I was just joking because Wacom always have some limitations for their expensive product because of their monopoly, like this unnecessary brick, that they would give us the "pro" mobile version that runs mobile software that requires us to login using VNC or Remote Login to our main computer and use our tablet like the 13HD. Joking aside, I think we are at the point where we should not be required to be glued to a computer, with a thick brick, just to sculpt or texture or paint, that we can do it on the bus, on the train or on the toilet.

arrastrao
03-25-2013, 08:14 PM
I do not speak English, sorry. Use google translator
Today I saw the power supply of the Cintiq 13HD, measures approximately 13cm x 5cm x 3cm

hvanderwegen
03-25-2013, 09:56 PM
For those still interested in a good (less laggy than a wacom!) drawing experience, and not willing or unable to hand out that much money, I suggest the Yiynova MSP19U:

http://blog.drawn.ca/post/38741581411/the-yiynova-msp19u-cintiq-alternative-swings-for-the

19", and only ~$500.

I may be getting one of these myself, but unfortunately I have not yet found a retailer here in Vancouver that carries those.

AJ
03-26-2013, 07:18 AM
For those still interested in a good (less laggy than a wacom!) drawing experienceI don't really want to get sucked into this but I have 3 different Wacom tablets, including a Cintiq and the one criticism I could never level at any of them is lag...?

damesqlo
04-05-2013, 01:20 PM
Hello guys, who want to see the power brick?

http://www.gizmodo.jp/upload_files2/130318cintiq18.jpg
http://www.gizmodo.jp/upload_files2/130305_cintiq_068.jpg

More pics here:
http://www.gizmodo.jp/2013/03/cintiq_13hd.html
http://www.lunaticjoker.com/2013/03/cintiq-13hd-review/
http://white-screen.jp/?p=24682

I like it BUT! is so OVERPRICED!

Compared to a Surface Pro or any other new device that cames with SSD, i5, RAM, full Windows, and touch screen + wacom stylus (even now they have problems with photoshop and zbrush to make pressure sens work) Wacom as always is really overpriced, this is "just" a green flat board with a 13.3" ips screen... come on Wacom, you can do it better.

oh i forgot to say... and isnt touch screen :(

strangerthings
04-05-2013, 01:33 PM
Hello guys, who want to see the power brick?

I like it BUT! is so OVERPRICED!

Compared to a Surface Pro or any other new device that cames with SSD, i5, RAM, full Windows, and touch screen + wacom stylus (even now they have problems with photoshop and zbrush to make pressure sens work) Wacom as always is really overpriced, this is "just" a green flat board with a 13.3" ips screen... come on Wacom, you can do it better.

Well done - your your links Found this pic - the 13 HD vs the 12

Way smaller brick and no break out box...BUT does have a propeitory Power Brick / connector ! I am sure they didn't need to do that... How quickly could you get a replacement!

Wacom have said they are making a Tablet of some sort coming out this summer so will have see - who knows it might make an appearance at NAB.

http://www.gizmodo.jp/upload_files2/130305_cintiq_065_2.jpg

Artbot
04-05-2013, 05:06 PM
Great pic. This is even less impressive when compared side-by-side. When you overlay the active screen area of the 13hd onto the 12, it's almost the exact same height and maybe an inch wider. That is just pathetic. While the reduced cord clutter is nice, it's still not minimal enough to be truly portable. For that price it really should have been so much more than this slightly iterative version.

Skamierski
04-05-2013, 05:52 PM
fan boys and hipsters are going to buy it anyway ;)

Jaspar
04-08-2013, 12:56 PM
fan boys and hipsters are going to buy it anyway ;)
I wouldn't count myself as either, but I'm going to buy one.

There's no doubt, it's way overpriced for what it is, but there are just no viable alternatives. Wacom do make quality pieces of kit, and I don't think this is going to be an exception. The size will suit me fine, and it should be a pretty good quality screen. It may not support the full Adobe colour range, but it's not too bad. The reduced weight, higher resolution and more convenient cabling make it much more viable than the 12.

naminami
04-25-2013, 06:44 AM
Can I buy it off of Amazon US and have it work okay in the UK (ac adapter compatible)?

Jaspar
04-26-2013, 01:52 PM
Unlikely. The power supply is part of the plug, so you'd need the UK pins snap-in, which is very unlikely to be provided with a US model. Also, don't forget you'd need to pay import duty and VAT! It should be available from Wacom's UK store on the 30th, so you're best off waiting...

AJ
04-26-2013, 02:14 PM
Can I buy it off of Amazon US and have it work okay in the UK (ac adapter compatible)?As Jaspar says, I would wait until it's officially released over here. You could no doubt put a US>UK adapter onto the plug but you'll get badly stung for postage and import duty on it and I'm 99% sure the warranty wouldn't be valid.

The current US exchange rate puts the $1000 at around £650, so for an extra £100 you could get the UK version http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-wacom-cintiq-13hd-interactive-pen-display/p1536805

patfour
04-26-2013, 03:26 PM
Thanks for posting those pictures damesqlo, very cool to see it "in the wild" as opposed to promotional imagery. While I'd still rather not be anchored to an outlet, it is nice to see the 13HD doesn't need a big breaker box like the 12WX.

This is even less impressive when compared side-by-side. When you overlay the active screen area of the 13hd onto the 12, it's almost the exact same height and maybe an inch wider. That is just pathetic.
Wacom made it clear the update from 12WX to 13HD would have the screen going from 12" (16x10) to 13" (16x9), so wasn't the size difference already expected without the side-by-side pic?

For something truly portable, I'm curious to see what kind of tablet computer Wacom announces this summer... but since I'm already satisfied with my laptop's computing power, I'll likely go with Lenovo's Thinkvision 1423p once it's released (unless it has any weaknesses yet to be revealed).

strangerthings
04-26-2013, 03:28 PM
Can I buy it off of Amazon US and have it work okay in the UK (ac adapter compatible)?

Also the warranty probably won't be covered probably - It region based.

having sai that, I bought a 12" Cintiq ( which I thought was a bit unusable for what I do with only 1280 x 800 ) in the USA for $999 but was at a time when it was £1=$2 and used it for a couple of years and sold it for £600!! And Yes I just bought it back thought customs and didn't declare it. Cos I am that naughty.

strangerthings
04-26-2013, 03:38 PM
Great pic. This is even less impressive when compared side-by-side. When you overlay the active screen area of the 13hd onto the 12, it's almost the exact same height and maybe an inch wider. That is just pathetic. While the reduced cord clutter is nice, it's still not minimal enough to be truly portable. For that price it really should have been so much more than this slightly iterative version.

Don't really get what you are saying. It's 12" > 13" did you want it to be 15" or something, better yet 24".... Oh hold on....

The point is it has much better resolution.... the 1280x800 was unusable and blocky as when using a lot of app - even PS's icons were hard to make out... oh and the screen angle/brightness etc was shocking.

This is looking way beter with IPS, 1920x1080 and no break out box...

I am ebaying my intous4 and 5 and goign to get one.... Just as an aside who likes the intous 5 - I like the feel but the buttons are shocking. They need lights and more feel.

naminami
04-26-2013, 04:09 PM
Unlikely. The power supply is part of the plug, so you'd need the UK pins snap-in, which is very unlikely to be provided with a US model. Also, don't forget you'd need to pay import duty and VAT! It should be available from Wacom's UK store on the 30th, so you're best off waiting...

Ok, thanks. Figures waiting is still what's best.

AJ> I think I'll wait a bit for it to appear on Amazon. Hopefully the US and UK prices are more or less the same.

seychellian
06-05-2013, 09:17 PM
Some questions/comments...

- Have been waiting for a unit this size for some time and it looks great.
- Removal of converter box and tidying up of leads is a positive move.
- Why does it need a separate USB cable when it has HDMI and more importantly why doesnt Wacom supply a thunderbolt cable with a SINGLE lead for its core user group Mac owners??
- The stand looks cheap and as though its made of flimsy plastic and isn't pivotable. Is there any way that it can be used in conjunction with CintiQ 22" stand (see attached images)?
- Non-USB power is a huge disappointment.
- Non-inclusion of battery pack and wireless (even as an extra) is a huge disappointment.

Would keen to hear some replies to the above.

http://static.trustedreviews.com/94/74cdde/4bb7_orh400w600/IMG-0912s.jpg

http://static.trustedreviews.com/94/c599c8/db70/IMG-0914s.jpg

strangerthings
06-06-2013, 10:23 AM
Why does it need a separate USB cable when it has HDMI and more importantly why doesnt Wacom supply a thunderbolt cable with a SINGLE lead for its core user group Mac owners??

HDMI doesn't carry USB data. MHL though USB does carry Video, but it's not very good and limits the bandwidth. Thunderbolt would be a great option. To be honest I think Wacom are incredible penny pinchers and will always use the cheapest option possible. They take years to redesign kit and when it comes out, there is always dozens of threads about why it's just not quite good enough.
- The stand looks cheap and as though its made of flimsy plastic and isn't pivotable. Is there any way that it can be used in conjunction with CintiQ 22" stand (see attached images)?

Nope not without some serious customisation. The stand is pretty good actually.

Non-USB power is a huge disappointment.

Spec says 19 VDC 1.58 A (max) - way beyond the 5V 900MA (5amp - charging) USB spec.

Non-inclusion of battery pack and wireless (even as an extra) is a huge disappointment.

Again the cost to implement would have pushed the price higher. Agree and the Wire port design is terrible - who ever thought that was a good idea should be fired. Something like this is screaming out for a magport at the very least.

There is of course this mythical Wacom Tablet coming this summer. But Would have to be Windows Pro ( not the RT crappola ) to be any use. Even android would be pointless.

seychellian
06-06-2013, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the comprehensive response.

What is the chance that Wacom bring out a swivel stand for this model at a later date? It is such a handy accessory. Alternatively what is the chance they'll sell an apple specific cable which combines the USB and HDMI into a single thunderbolt lead? I have precious USB resources on the back of my Thuderbolt display that I am in no mood to share.

I am right on the cusp of buying this thing and if i knew at least one of my concerns could be addressed down the track I my be persuaded to make the purchase.

Alternatively, what do we know about the tablet that is touted for release this summer? Is it a compact 12-14"? What new does it bring to the table? Should I wait?

So many questions!

pipdixel
06-06-2013, 02:23 PM
Looks great, but isn't it about 300 bucks overpriced? or am I wrong.

strangerthings
06-06-2013, 02:28 PM
Looks great, but isn't it about 300 bucks overpriced? or am I wrong.

Entirely up to you isn't it. I'd only buy one if it increase my productivity and meant I had more free time... We've talked about the 'competitor' devices and well... they are complete rubbish unfortunately.... but then again so was the Wacom 12" - pointless thing.

pipdixel
06-06-2013, 02:47 PM
I guess you're right. I have no issue dropping 1200 bucks on a plugin if I can use it on a job and double my money back, but for this, I guess you have to weight productivity. Good perspective. Currently no one wants to pay me to use Zbrush or draw , so maybe not for me right now haha

Artbot
06-06-2013, 04:18 PM
To be honest I think Wacom are incredible penny pinchers and will always use the cheapest option possible.

I think this is only part of it. This is a tool for a very specialized market, so limiting their potential customers to some exotic new connection standard is not a good idea. And heaven forbid they should tailor the connection to Mac owners. :banghead:

I'd only buy one if it increase my productivity and meant I had more free time...

Seriously, can we put this myth to rest? Industry and corporations have been saying this for the past hundred years, and no one has more leisure time. What they have is time to do more work, which is now mandated by the fact that the guy down the street can also do more work, and you have to compete with him.

AJ
06-06-2013, 05:40 PM
Seriously, can we put this myth to rest? Industry and corporations have been saying this for the past hundred years, and no one has more leisure time. What they have is time to do more work, which is now mandated by the fact that the guy down the street can also do more work, and you have to compete with him.If you're managing your own time then you absolutely can have more leisure time. If you're working for a corporation that pays you to work a set number of hours in the day then yes, the chances are you will fill that time with more work.

I think it's a bit of a disservice to focus only on speed as an improvement, personally I find the whole experience much more satisfying. I enjoy using the Cintiq more than I do a standard graphics tablet and much, much more than I ever did using a mouse. Part of that is due to an increase in speed but that's really a by-product of it making retouching/Zbrushing (for me) a freer, more creative process.

I realise I am biased - I own and use a Cintiq and have found it to be a great investment but there are plenty of others who have tried them and don't get along with them at all. As you say, Wacom's products cater to a niche market and the negative voices are just as prominent as the positive, which I think is only a good thing.

Artbot
06-06-2013, 08:45 PM
Don't get me wrong - I loved working on a Cintiq 21" when I used to and it did increase my productivity. Plus, it was just plain more fun to draw and paint on than a Intuos.

My point is, you have a set amount of hours to work, and no new tool has allowed people to work less. All it means is that more work can be produced in the same amount of time. I challenge you to show me one incident where this wasn't the case.

AJ
06-07-2013, 08:10 AM
I challenge you to show me one incident where this wasn't the case.
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view4/2239283/homer-bird-o.gif

:D

Artbot
06-07-2013, 03:46 PM
Well played, sir! :beer:

seychellian
06-07-2013, 06:49 PM
HDMI doesn't carry USB data. MHL though USB does carry Video, but it's not very good and limits the bandwidth. Thunderbolt would be a great option. To be honest I think Wacom are incredible penny pinchers and will always use the cheapest option possible. They take years to redesign kit and when it comes out, there is always dozens of threads about why it's just not quite good enough.

Nope not without some serious customisation. The stand is pretty good actually.

Spec says 19 VDC 1.58 A (max) - way beyond the 5V 900MA (5amp - charging) USB spec.

Again the cost to implement would have pushed the price higher. Agree and the Wire port design is terrible - who ever thought that was a good idea should be fired. Something like this is screaming out for a magport at the very least.

There is of course this mythical Wacom Tablet coming this summer. But Would have to be Windows Pro ( not the RT crappola ) to be any use. Even android would be pointless.

Thanks for your thorough response. I would be interested to know which of the following is a possibility to happen with regard to this product:

- Is Wacom or a third party likely to release a swivel stand that accommodates this unit at some date in the future?

- Is Wacom or a third party likely to release a thunderbolt cable (not an adapter) for this unit this unit at some stage in the future?

- Based on their product release history will Wacom be launching a unit similar to this in the short term foreseeable future (12-18months) that may address some of my concerns?

- Is there a comparable alternative product from another company that is worth considering?

- Does this unit support finger gestures and multi-touch with the hand?

Thanks for sharing your ample knowledge about Wacom with us http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon7.gif