PDA

View Full Version : Lets bring back the gameart contests!

CGmonkey
12-15-2003, 04:40 PM
I miss the little gameart contests we had here before. Ever since CGTalk made them in to official challenges, some of the "spark" died. One of the reason being is that the "theme" not always was suited for gameart.

I vote for bringing back the contests!

For you who don't know what I'm talking about basicly some time ago we in Game Art forum arranged small inofficial contests and the winner of respective contest had the honour to choose next contest's topic/theme. There were always alot of entries in these contests and it was fun.
Then the mighty CGTalk came and took over the contest. It's cool to get a prize and all but it's just ain't the same thing nowadays.

So whatcha say? We could always abort the contests when CGTalk is having one of the challenges.

Beaneh
12-15-2003, 04:56 PM
I really agree, so where's the poll???

kotter
12-15-2003, 05:11 PM
I love game art competitions, though I've never actually participated :P

But it's really inspiering to follow ;)

You got my vote!

CGmonkey
12-15-2003, 05:19 PM
Well polls are lame, mkay! (I forgot it ;P )

But lets just see what the people say.. Great to have supporters! :D

J.K.Makowka
12-15-2003, 05:41 PM
The one they do regulary on www.cgchat.com is nice.
Maybe just participate in that one?

kotter
12-15-2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by J.K.Makowka

The more the merrier ;)

CGmonkey
12-15-2003, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by J.K.Makowka

It isn't the same thing. CGTalk also got game art challenges we can participate in. Besides, I want it here on CGTalk since I'm a resident here and not on CGChat! :)

Kotter - Word!

Prs-Phil
12-15-2003, 06:59 PM
yeah, great idea, I also missed them. :)

@J.K Ma...

cgmonkey is right. I basically live here to ;) and its always better to have more challenges then you can participate in the one you really like.

mindrot
12-15-2003, 09:05 PM
Yeah that would be cool.

Unfortunately the last "official" one left a bad taste in my mouth and for many others :(

CgChat (realtimecg.com) has some awesome comps. Thinking of going there to enter some.

Anyway, it would be great to see more here....

dur23
12-15-2003, 11:50 PM
Im always down....;)

Adder
12-16-2003, 01:34 AM
Im up for it i really enjoyed entering the comps and would love to c them back :-)

rob-beddall
12-16-2003, 09:49 AM
hey!!

comps sound good to me.
bring 'em back

cheers!!

Dhin
12-16-2003, 10:43 AM
I'm all for bringing them back. Unoffical stuff is just that unoffical so really when CGTlak started doing the Game Art Challenges the "mini" unofficial contests didn't need to stop, they just did because the official stuff stole their thunder.

Personally, I'll compete in any comp that looks interesting and challenging to me, regaurdless of prizes or lack there of.

CGmonkey
12-16-2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Dhin
I'm all for bringing them back. Unoffical stuff is just that unoffical so really when CGTlak started doing the Game Art Challenges the "mini" unofficial contests didn't need to stop, they just did because the official stuff stole their thunder.

The problem was that we had to do it either way.. Either we had unofficial contests here or CGTalk made them in to official challenges..

Prs-Phil has kindly offered his help so we're going to start one up real soon.
The question is what do you guys want for theme or topic?

wanzai
12-16-2003, 12:54 PM
Feeling kinda sorry for missing our inofficial contests, since I was one of those who had approached the mods back then. Actually all I was asking from Tito was a sub-forum to make the handling easier.

So.. yeah, I'd like to see it coming back too, although I won't have time to participate till the coming spring.

Neil
12-16-2003, 02:04 PM
In addition to the contests not being accomodating to gamers,
when's the last time a game model was plugged on the front page?!

There have been some amazing game models in here, and I don't think the front page pluggers know what to look for.

erik2003
12-16-2003, 02:10 PM
Bring back the contests!

Ivars
12-16-2003, 02:21 PM
yeah! I never had a chance to participate in those challenges before, so Id be happy to join in now!

CGmonkey
12-16-2003, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Neil
In addition to the contests not being accomodating to gamers,
when's the last time a game model was plugged on the front page?!

There have been some amazing game models in here, and I don't think the front page pluggers know what to look for.

The reason is pretty simple actually - They only plug stuff from the Finished Gallery forum. This is a wip forum :) No one seems to get that though. I direct as many good models as possible to the finished gallery.. I think HyPers orange monster was the last to be plugged :)

Anyway guys, let me here what you want for themes/topics!!

Kalel06
12-16-2003, 03:04 PM
I definately will join if we bring back the mini challenges. I always followed it but never joined them (but was very inspired all the time by the entries), this time I'll participate.

Is one person going to pick the subject?? I think we should all be able to vote on the first topic and then the winner picks up from then on to (keep it like the last time).

Neil
12-16-2003, 03:25 PM
I know that. And i've seen models on here in the WIP linked to the piece in gallery. Sorry i can't come up with any links at the moment, don't have the time to go hunting.

baaah888
12-16-2003, 03:36 PM
I really want the comps back i participated in 2 of the official one's. I realy loved doing them, but they didnt really feel like comps more like just working to someone elses briefs.

Also the 4000 tri count was relatively high something in the range or 2500 would have been better for game art.

The voteing kind of annoyed me, as it was basically pointless as 3 people usually had 5000views to their thread before the voteing so it was more or less just between them 3, and checking back and seeing that your model had about 21pts from 6 or 7 votes after all the time put in was a bit discourageing when the 3 top ones had about 140votes each. (not that i was that bothered, just it would be nice to know what more people thought.)

And as for themes. The one thing i never saw was something that every aspireing character model would have to do.

The old comps were always design the lead character. or design the boss. or design a game icon.

The New ones should be, design a menial character like a civilian, or something like design a basic trooper with 3 interchangeable heads. (basically troops that would be repeated and on screen in vast numbers)

The reason i say this is because ive been looking at my portfolio and i have plenty of individuals and heros but i have no basic troopers or civilians. and from other portfolios ive been looking at alot of future artists are in the same position.

Dargon
12-16-2003, 04:03 PM
I'm in.

Supervlieg
12-16-2003, 05:33 PM
Youve got my vote.

mindrot
12-16-2003, 08:20 PM
Bring it on already!!!!

wanzai
12-16-2003, 08:47 PM
Shouldn't the last winner choose the new subject? Who was it anyway?

DreiGrasheir
12-16-2003, 09:21 PM
cgmokey- i dont think we see nearly enough really good environments... how about a small game level? with the slew of 'present day' games (GTA, Matrix, etc) why dont we try a back alley/street scene of sorts?

Warhawk
12-16-2003, 10:05 PM
Bring it on . I will be more than happy to participate in competition . I'm in .

CGmonkey
12-16-2003, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by DreiGrasheir
cgmokey- i dont think we see nearly enough really good environments... how about a small game level? with the slew of 'present day' games (GTA, Matrix, etc) why dont we try a back alley/street scene of sorts?

Yeah you're right.. I think most of the people here want to model characters though. Perhaps sometime we can create a model with proper environment.

I've mailed the last contest winner to see if he's up for creating the guidlines!

It'll be fun to have them back!! :D

DreiGrasheir
12-16-2003, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by CgMonkey
I think most of the people here want to model characters though.

life isnt about what the artist wants to do. we are slaves. what better time to learn that than now, right? heh.. j/k. ill be up for any contest you guys have, as long as i have the time.

bar2sek
12-17-2003, 04:49 AM
Sounds like a great idea! But does the 'game art' forum only mean Tex/Mod kinda stuff? I'd like to do some game style low poly animations if that's cool. If not, just kick my ass over to the animation forum and let them have their way with me.

Neil
12-17-2003, 05:04 AM
Originally posted by DreiGrasheir

Yeah, but making environments has everyhting to do with making it efficient and interesting. How do you prove your realtime-ness of it with a still or animation?
It's all pre-rendered by the time it gets thrown up to vote on. If there was a way we could go through and play a level once it was designed, then that would make more sense... but again, how do you standardize it so that people aren't using engines we cant' use or view.

Dargon
12-17-2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Neil
Yeah, but making environments has everyhting to do with making it efficient and interesting. How do you prove your realtime-ness of it with a still or animation?
It's all pre-rendered by the time it gets thrown up to vote on. If there was a way we could go through and play a level once it was designed, then that would make more sense... but again, how do you standardize it so that people aren't using engines we cant' use or view.

We could put in a few guidelines like a plan-view that the contestants have to follow, or scale, and numbers of textures, polys, and alpha maps. All wires have to be shown, as well as textures, and only playblast views, no renders. Easy peasy.

TRyanD
12-17-2003, 11:23 AM
Id love to see some good ones done up hehe.

It would be nice to have a certain game in mind for making things though, maybee have a poll with everyones fav games atm there to see which ones should be used, then have diffrent things that can be made if possible, weapons, vehicles, characters or level art.

For instance us ut2k3/4 and set a theme, space marines, aleins, both heh, Vampires, punks whatever.etc etc weapon vehicles chars level art. Then after teh contest all ove the art could be stuck together as a little mod or something if people wanted to do the work to get it working.

Ive been hooked on XMP for a while now, and would love to have a chance to mess with making new chars or vehicles for that, i started messing with making new models for it already anyway hehe.

Im sure you guys had a good thing going already though, im down when its time :)

CGmonkey
12-17-2003, 12:15 PM
TRyanD - That's a good idea! :)

Hmm I've spoken with the last contest winner but he has crunchtime at work so he can't make the guidelines / topic :(

So I guess we have to make it up for him!

Neil
12-17-2003, 01:47 PM
If you do go with the character idea, then I would like to see a character contest and make it so that you can't give it just 2 arms and 2 legs and walk up-right. Be creative. We've gotten to the point where we can pump out a human/human-creature (zombie, orc, etc) rather quickly and not think about it. And the wave of FPS games keep coming and the aliens from different races are always humans again, just bigger and have an alien 'face'.
Think about how to make a character that you can animate it moving around too, example:
http://www.angelfire.com/games3/scstrategy/zerg.gif

(still the coolest, i know those are technically arms... but still different than normal. That's why this is still just suggestion)

Buck
12-17-2003, 02:07 PM
I like the challengens, mostly because of all the inspiration i get from it :)

innervision961
12-17-2003, 02:24 PM
Hey here is an idea, shoot it down if it sucks, but i'll let it loose anyway :). We could take an old nes/snes/genesis game and remake any part of it we want. For instance, we compile a list of classic games that haven't been revamped yet, poll/vote on the game, then the artist decides what he/she wants to re-create, it could be the main character, vehicle, enemy, boss etc. from the game it doesn't matter. But i'm sure whatever you guys come up with will be sweet.

CGmonkey
12-17-2003, 02:55 PM
Neil - That's a LOVELY idea! :D

innervision961 - you're idea would've rocked if it wasn't for the fact that judging the entries would've been really hard since everybody made different things and didn't stick with one theme :)

Kalel06
12-17-2003, 03:00 PM
I like the NES remake idea. Then again i also like Neils' make your own alien idea.

I feel the alien creation will spark up more creativity though in the sense that one has to make an original. That would create some awesome entries. Can we start a vote on that?

innervision961
12-17-2003, 03:11 PM
Neil - That's a LOVELY idea! :D

innervision961 - you're idea would've rocked if it wasn't for the fact that judging the entries would've been really hard since everybody made different things and didn't stick with one theme :)
oh, eh hehe i didn't even think about the voting aspect of it lol, i totally understand though. I like Neil's idea a lot lets do it!

Dargon
12-17-2003, 04:32 PM
I agree with Neil's idea as well, but I say keep it more open than "Alien", it should just be no traditional limbs, and nothing we've seen before. That way we could do fantasy creatures, daemons and the like.

Neil
12-17-2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Dargon
I agree with Neil's idea as well, but I say keep it more open than "Alien", it should just be no traditional limbs, and nothing we've seen before. That way we could do fantasy creatures, daemons and the like.

Yes, i agree. Hehe, nice to see the agreement so far.

I just said alien (did i?) as an example of something that doesn't have 2 limbs and 2 eyes. Think swamp creatures, beasts (like the creatures in the fighting pit in Episode II), deformed forest/desert/snow monsters...etc.

If i see one more of these I will scream!
http://www.photomosaic.com/rt/examples/alien.jpg

I never understood how we got on that preconceived idea of aliens. So let me get this straight, our universe is HUGE and what do you know, on every other planet, all creatures STILL have 2 arms, 2 legs, hands, 2 eyes, and a head on the top of their torso??? Please. Why would that be? What would a monster look like if there isn't even gravity on their planet or if i didn't even have to breath to stay alive.
This is my point of people not being creative.

Neil
12-17-2003, 04:57 PM
dargon: "Traditional limbs" is a better term. :)

Also, just one more thought.
What if it doesn't move?.....

What if it just hides itself at waits for prey to come to it. Or what if it uses decoys to lure other prey in. The animal world is so facinating with examples of this.
If your character is best shown in a before/after pose, then do 2 renders. That sorta thing. Like how butterflies looks like leafs one moment, then they close their wings and they change.

I don't have any very good references off hand, but that's why i'm throwing it up to you guys. I have no clue what to expect either.
As appose to "make a soldier" and i know i will be seeing 50 soldiers just varying in camo and guns.

CGmonkey
12-17-2003, 05:23 PM
Neil - I say lets go with your idea. I really like it! :) Do you want to write down the guidelines or should I scribble something together?

Here's the last contest..
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54921&highlight=contest

Dargon
12-17-2003, 05:26 PM
I'd say to add in the 2 "states" as a must for the creature - a resting, or hidden state, and an attack state. It would be really cool to see how people could play with that challenge. You could use morph targets, or just find a pose with bones that all the pieces line up, or make new bones to help the morph, or even use texture blending to do the change! It could be really cool!

CGmonkey
12-17-2003, 05:28 PM
Yeah but it'll be a pretty challenging contest :)

It'll be interesting indeed!

Xaint
12-17-2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by innervision961
oh, eh hehe i didn't even think about the voting aspect of it lol, i totally understand though. I like Neil's idea a lot lets do it!

It could work, if we'd run bi-monthly contests with multipile categories (eg. modelling+texturing, level design, animation).

wanzai
12-17-2003, 06:47 PM
Who ever is going to "host" the revived contests: Please don't forget about the tradition in the rules!
I hope you know what I mean! ;)

Neil
12-17-2003, 06:53 PM
hmm... it sounds like you guys wanna start this now. From a students POV, i know that break is starting and you guys got nothign to do. But from fulltime workers POV (me) it means lots of traveling and massive amounts of work pushed on you during holidays.
So I couldnt' really even start until Jan. 5. (i'm sure others are in this boat too)

Unless you just wanna make this one last longer?

I read through the rules quickly and they seemed appropriate. I would like to specific triangles as the poly count (leaves it to no confusion)

As of now there is the 5 or so of you interested. Chime in if others are interested and when they wanna start.

I can think it through more seriously after work today.

Buck
12-17-2003, 07:25 PM
i'm ready to go, as Neil said the holidays start at friday (atleast for me) so im ready to start a challange any day now :)

CGmonkey
12-17-2003, 08:04 PM
Yeah I thought about that Neil. It would've been better to start after the holidays.

seantree
12-18-2003, 01:02 AM
i'm also interested. i can start anytime so i'll be following this thread to keep up to speed. Let's get it rollin'

DreiGrasheir
12-18-2003, 01:50 AM
i like innervision961's idea a lot. why dont we do that, and to judge it, you need to supply as many pictures of the original 2d character as you can find (actually from the game, not some anime artist wannabe's take on them). As an added bous (since im sick of doing biped people, myself), it cannot be a human style creature as Neil suggested.

Renderman_XSI
12-18-2003, 08:46 AM
Im in, if the first contest is to design and model a main character for your ideal game. Ideally the genre should be kept open to get more people in the contest. but the number of triangles should be set to a standard high enough to meet any genre, 4K max?.

start the contest ASAP!

CGmonkey
12-18-2003, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Renderman_XSI
Im in, if the first contest is to design and model a main character for your ideal game. Ideally the genre should be kept open to get more people in the contest. but the number of triangles should be set to a standard high enough to meet any genre, 4K max?.

start the contest ASAP!

Yeah.. Perhaps it's better to have a soft start to get everyones attention.

DreiGrasheir
12-18-2003, 10:14 AM
Im in, if the first contest is to design and model a main character for your ideal game.

hasnt that been what everyone has pretty much been doing all along, though?

Dargon
12-18-2003, 10:18 AM

start the contest ASAP!

That was what the penultimate "official" challenge was. I don't want to see the same stuff.

In my opinion, the tighter we make the guidelines, the more interesting people's response will be. See my signature.

Neil
12-18-2003, 02:25 PM

start the contest ASAP!

Well i think the point is to make this a 'gaming' contest. If you set the poly count high, then it's just another contest. And you get more photrealistic work.

Any chance on getting a sticky on this?

Renderman_XSI
12-18-2003, 03:55 PM
a soft start would be nice :D

but a 4k budget isnt high, its typical for FPS. like I said it depends on the engine and genre. But having the max at 4K would cover most of the possible game genre.

I guess we can create a poll what people want for this first contest(this would only be fair to everyone who is interested in the contest). another idea i want to work on is to create a game level(trees,washitsu,fishes,etc the whole 9 yard).

Poopinmymouth
12-18-2003, 05:26 PM
havent posted here in a while, but I have alot of personal opinion on this subject. Why is it that everyone feels the need to seperate the online community into so many factions that I have to bookmark 8 forums just to keep up with the online game art? Cgchat has a great established competition already with heavy participation, it has its own forum, great judges, an extremely active moderator, its own site for hosting past entries and winners, as well as prizes. If you start contests over here, you will have half the participation as if you just start participating in the CGchat comp. using the excuse that you only like to come to cgtalk is lame. If you want really good 2D work consistently, you go to conceptart, if you want really good game art from young talented artists, you go to polycount, when you want a contest, why not go to cgchat? Its really not hard, and doesnt require much more effort, but the pay off is when someone wants to watch a competition, or even compete, and even rarer, actually finish, they can see it all, in one place. Instead of having lackluster poorly attended contests spread out over 8 different forums. Im sure you all have great replies for this, and Im sure im gonna have fun reading them, but seriously think about and mull over what I said, and lets see if we can make the online cg community more cohesive.

CGmonkey
12-18-2003, 06:04 PM
Poopinmymouth - Why can't we have contests? If you want to go to cgchat for the contests who stops you? ;) And I hope you already got cgtalk bookmarked since we got the biggest challenges here.. So I don't really see your point :)

Dargon
12-18-2003, 06:20 PM
Have to agree with CGMonkey, Poopinmymouth! CGTalk challenges have just been bigger, and this one has great potential, too!

I've been over at CGChat a couple of times, wasn't the last challenge they had the same as the current challenge? This one is to create a beast and rider, and the last one was to create a bunch of guys including a beast and rider...

A question to CGMonkey - will this one just be a sticky in the WIP section, or will it make it to the challenges section? I think we'll get more people interested if it makes it into that section...

Poopinmymouth
12-18-2003, 06:24 PM
oh, I do go to cgchat, and im in the current contest. Cgmonkey, my post was directed at members like you. In your post you use We as if You are cgtalk, and I am not a part of it. your post count doesnt make you any more of a member than mine. If we counted actuall postings of artwork, then I think I would probably come out on top. But that isnt the point, the point of an online community is to share, and see what is out there, and if you split it up, it makes it harder for those who dont have 3 hours a day to check all the online sites. I work at a game studio all day long, and dont have time to have 1740 posts, because Im working, either on artwork for my job, or my own artwork. I was merely pointing out that It would be beneficial for the online community as a whole to consolidate. I am not bashing one board or promoting another, just pointing out that there is already an established place for game art contests to use. There is no reason to segregate, unless people are worried about not having a huge post count if they have to go to another forum.

edit# gargon and monkey: if cgtalk comps are so big why is it you are having to ressurect them? I am specifically talking about game art comps, as that is what this entire thread is about, not the high poly stuff. I realize cgtalk has large participation in that. But you are talking about creating a whole new one, this is not a debate about which current one is larger/better. Rather than creating another faction to be hip and trendy, why not get into the spirit of online communities and see which would be best for helping other out.

Renderman_XSI
12-18-2003, 06:58 PM
I get your point, but it isnt realistic. Everyone has different taste in CG. I dont see why we(who goto this site more often) cant start a game art contest?.

In fact, it would only help to have a contest here also. for example i personally dont like the theme at CGchat ,so i didnt enter. Now if we start one here and the theme is more appealing to me..for sure i'll enter. In other words, it just opens up more options for game artist.

Now if we all goto CGchat for our gaming contest, and half the people dont like the theme they gotta wait for another month for a new contest(or whatever the duration is).

Options are good :D

Poopinmymouth
12-18-2003, 07:05 PM
those are really good points renderman. I hadnt really thought of that. In its current incarnation, it seems like it would be competing with the other comps, which is what i was saying wouldnt be very helpful, but if the contests were made as a complement or an alternative for those who arent feeling the jive of other comps, that would be pretty cool.

for the record tho, i never said anyone "cant have" a competition here. the CGtalk community can do whatever they want, but I was just trying to point out that there is already a good place to do that, and if it aint broke, dont fix it.

and also for the record, I consider myself part of the polycount community, but i come to cgtalk daily to see the game art posts, I go to concept art daily to moderate the 3d forum, and i check out cgchat when im in the competitions. It is not to say I do not like the other sites, I just call polycount my home. there should be less fighting between forums and more work posted, where ever that may be.

CGmonkey
12-18-2003, 07:07 PM
Poopinmymouth - I find your post provocative. You're indicating that you're better than us who don't post our artwork as much as you do and have high postcount? I'm a student, I have more time on my hands than most on this board. You're a professional artist, I respect you for that and you're very talented, I'm only but a poor 3d hobbyist who wished he had 1/3 of your talented, and therefor I don't want to post my artwork because I know that no one will post c&c.

I want the contest here only for the reason you don't want it here; I don't want to visit many different forums just to check stuff. So shoot me for being selfish.

Renderman_XSI - hehe good point ;D

Poopinmymouth
12-18-2003, 07:21 PM
At first i was going to say no thats not what I was insinuating, but after examining the intent of my post, yes that is exactly what I was indicating. When you fill up your time with posting comments even if everyone is a helpful critique for someone else, you are stealing time from your artwork. I was a poor 3d student less than a year ago, (now im a poor professional, hahaha) and i found it tempting to spend hours on the boards reading and posting, but found that my time was better spent working on my artwork. If you want to come across as someone who seriously wants into the industry, be it gaming or film, or effects, you do not want to come acrross as someone who doesnt manage their time well.
I was not born with some innate talent, I worked hard, and long to get where I am now, so you wont get sympathy for me on that point.

When you want groceries, do you complain that autozone doesnt have them? When you want a tire, does it make you made you cant just drive to 7-11? There are different places for different things. Its one thing to know where your going for what, but if every board has the exact same stuff, it leads to poor participation in everything. Versus having each board have a specific purpose. Just my dollar and seventy five cents.

Renderman_XSI
12-18-2003, 07:24 PM
Poopinmymouth - I find your post provocative. You're indicating that you're better than us who don't post our artwork as much as you do and have high postcount? I'm a student, I have more time on my hands than most on this board. You're a professional artist, I respect you for that and you're very talented, I'm only but a poor 3d hobbyist who wished he had 1/3 of your talented, and therefor I don't want to post my artwork because I know that no one will post c&c.

I want the contest here only for the reason you don't want it here; I don't want to visit many different forums just to check stuff. So shoot me for being selfish.

Renderman_XSI - hehe good point ;D

Would it be possible to create a poll now before we start the contest. I dont see how this would hurt anyone.

my vote is for a main character model or level :)

CGmonkey
12-18-2003, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Poopinmymouth
At first i was going to say no thats not what I was insinuating, but after examining the intent of my post, yes that is exactly what I was indicating. When you fill up your time with posting comments even if everyone is a helpful critique for someone else, you are stealing time from your artwork. I was a poor 3d student less than a year ago, (now im a poor professional, hahaha) and i found it tempting to spend hours on the boards reading and posting, but found that my time was better spent working on my artwork. If you want to come across as someone who seriously wants into the industry, be it gaming or film, or effects, you do not want to come acrross as someone who doesnt manage their time well.
I was not born with some innate talent, I worked hard, and long to get where I am now, so you wont get sympathy for me on that point.

I consider Leigh one of very talented textureartists on this board yet she got pretty much hundred times more posts than anyone on this board. I post in average 3 - 4 posts everyday. That's not stealing time from 3d. I don't want to work with 3d either so I don't know why I should do it. And I didn't go for your sympathy and no, you're not better than us. :) Cheers mate!

CGmonkey
12-18-2003, 07:56 PM
Would it be possible to create a poll now before we start the contest. I dont see how this would hurt anyone.

my vote is for a main character model or level :)

Yeah we're going to make a poll after new year I think or right now.. Don't know! :)

DreiGrasheir
12-18-2003, 07:59 PM
poopimnmymouth- i for one know my art would still be back at the lowest stages if i didn't post work on online forums. outside opinion and critiques are what make you work better, because after staring at the same project for hours, you cant see anything wrong with it anymore. Sure on good old CGTalk ill get a post with views and the hundreds, and if im lucky two or three actual helpful responses, but those help nonetheless. In the rare case that i get a post from an industry professional, such as yourself, it generally helps me much more than any of my former teachers and classmates because your company im sure has much higher standards than any school would.

i agree with renderman that options are good. what you were proposing was prettymuch like forcing mcdonalds, burger king, taco bell, wendys, and a dozen other resturaunts into one. choice goes down, and your options are limited, but if i dont like whats on the menu, i'm not buying, you know? I personally dont care for the current cgtalk contest either, nor the site itself... considering (though i thought it not possible) i get even fewer responses on there than CGTalk.

as for the type of contrst, a poll i think is definitley in order.

Poopinmymouth
12-18-2003, 08:23 PM
I think that the spirit of my post is being miscontrued. I was presenting an opinion, as I stated in my original post. Offering a suggesting, if you will. If the members of this board want to start a contest, who am I to try to stop them?

Cgmonkey, im going to reserve my comments about the artist you brough up, to myself, for fear of retribution, but lets just say i disagree.

I dont think im a better person than you, just a more dedicated artist. 8-) but as you said, you are not interested in working in this field.

Drei. I am all for posting, especially your work, that is what these boards are for. I dont know why you thought I said posting is bad. And yes you make a good point with your analogy of fast food restaurants.

CGmonkey
12-18-2003, 08:41 PM
I dont think im a better person than you, just a more dedicated artist. 8-) but as you said, you are not interested in working in this field.

Just because I think my art isn't for public display doesn't mean I'm less dedicated than you are. But yes, you are more dedicated than me :P

But as far as the poll, we have 4 ideas right now?

non-humanoid creature, can't have 2 arms or 2 legs.

model a character for your ideal game.

bring and old NES character to 3d.

make an environment.

caustic
12-19-2003, 03:21 AM
Poopinmymouth:

I really don't understand why cgtalk having a competition bothers you..if its just because you don't have time to check every CG site then thats really not good enough, the online community is that, 'a community', its not about just you.

So you don't like more than one site with comps, well I personally like loads, Bobo the seal has been known to do various comps on various sites, I did the same when I had the time.

I feel its helps spread CG wider instead of making it a fanboy, leetfreak, 'this is our site' community. It helps opens it up to the general public, the more the merrier.

CG is for everyone, some like cgtalk, some like polycount, some like cgchat, some like sumea some like all the above at once.

Its not your decision to stop a comp, if you don't want to enter fine don't enter but if others do then keep quiet it doesn't concern you.

Cgmonkey, im going to reserve my comments about the artist you brough up, to myself, for fear of retribution, but lets just say i disagree.

by saying you dont want to comment your already commenting?! You may as well have crapped on her work already.

What a self centered, egotistical pile of dribble, just because you moan the loudest and prance around with your nose in the air doesn't mean you have the right or the talent to back up that statement. A real artist doesn't need to cut others down to feel they are worthy, grow up.

Sorry guys, I know thats probably what hes after, flame bait, but I really hate people thinking they are superior.

Have fun with the comp, I have alot of commitments at work so I unfortunately won't be entering, I will be keeping an eye on how everyone goes though. :P

Poop: flame me back all you want, I won't reply, its really not worth my time.

Neil
12-19-2003, 04:39 AM
Poop: by your logic we should organize BBC, CNN, MSNBC, and every other news source into 1 website.
Because i'm wasting my time searching through all their sites just to read the same news :cry

kotter
12-19-2003, 08:47 AM
I vote for bringin NES to 3d...

CGmonkey
12-19-2003, 10:38 AM
Okey I had a discussion with poop on IRC. Let just leave it. We all missunderstood eachother :) Lets concentrate on the task at hand..

Dargon
12-19-2003, 11:02 AM
Just because I think my art isn't for public display doesn't mean I'm less dedicated than you are. But yes, you are more dedicated than me :P

But as far as the poll, we have 4 ideas right now?

non-humanoid creature, can't have 2 arms or 2 legs.

model a character for your ideal game.

bring and old NES character to 3d.

make an environment.

Slight change, IMO.

non-human creature, not the type of limbs found on humans..

model the final end boss for you ideal game. (we already had game icons, which is essentially model a character for your ideal game)

bring an old-school (pre-1990) game character to 3d. (from any platform, as long as it hasn't been done before)

model a specific environment (like an industrial wasteland, or a funhouse, or some such thing, not just an environment. It's too vague to draw contestants)

Let's get this banged out, then post the poll.

Are there any mods out there? Can we get a sticky for this? Or even better, game art challenge forum back in the international challenges page???

CGmonkey
12-19-2003, 11:15 AM
Dargon - Superb mate! I apology for my spelling and gramma back there.. Didn't quite sound as good as I thought O_o

Anyway.. I think that's enough choices. I'll post a poll ASAP.

Poopinmymouth
12-19-2003, 02:05 PM
well looks like my suggestion is disagreed with. It is too bad that most people are not literate enough to see that it was an opinion, stated so from the beginning, and not me saying that you cant have a competition. CgMonkey, thanks for helping curb the trolls.

Bringing an old school platformer character up to date would get my vote, but What about actually having to create it as a sprite? Kind of like using the 3d model to generate a few different poses, but then you would get full leeway to work on the sprite in photoshop and what not. that way any 2D game concepting people could get int on it, and just paint theirs. Instead of a poly limit, there could be a pixel resolution limit. Just a thought.

edit* I want to appologize for discussing anything other than this thread in my post. I should have left myself, and any comments about other artists out, because that had nothing to do with any of it.

Prs-Phil
12-19-2003, 03:17 PM
yeah I would be tempted to do that, quite a change to the normal lowpoly stuff :) but I dont think alot of ppl could handel that task.

I dont give a shit about your rows here, so could we just get on with the art. :D

@cgmonkey

Ive sent you a PM so we can get things rolling a bit faster, now I dont have to do to much work.

Renderman_XSI
12-19-2003, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Dargon

model a specific environment (like an industrial wasteland, or a funhouse, or some such thing, not just an environment. It's too vague to draw contestants)

I like this also. maybe model a washitsu(traditional japanese house) with the paper thin walls, the ones you see in the samurai films..lol.

I also like model a final boss more! This has my vote. Try PMing a mod to get a stricky on this matter.

Lets get this thing going ASAP!the sooner the better :D

Neil
12-19-2003, 07:14 PM
CgMonkey, thanks for helping curb the trolls.

Excuse me? Who are the trolls?

bentllama
12-21-2003, 11:32 AM
well guys... you got a MOD down with this too...

it will be fun to get some constructive communtiy building here in the game art section again...

once we have the final thread/topic for it I will make the thread sticky for all to see...and will plug it on the frontpage as well

let me know what else I can do to help...

CGmonkey
12-21-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by bentllama
well guys... you got a MOD down with this too...

it will be fun to get some constructive communtiy building here in the game art section again...

once we have the final thread/topic for it I will make the thread sticky for all to see...and will plug it on the frontpage as well

let me know what else I can do to help...

Great!! Nice to see you're down with the flow! ;) hehe

wanzai
12-22-2003, 11:51 AM
Maybe a subforum would be practical? Please?

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.