PDA

View Full Version : Animation Demo Reel

grury
12-15-2003, 11:56 AM
Hi all,
for the past couple of months I've been working on some bits and pieces for my animation reel, now I feel that I finally came to an end and would be very keen to know what you all think of it, or what/where can be improved.

I would like to thank all the generous people out there, that are willing to share they wonderful models and rigs, and also all the feed back that got on cgtalk, it really helps to improve ones work, cheers lads and lasses.

Animation Reel (http://www.bunchdesign.com/grury/reel.html)

Cheers

Grury

mattmos
12-15-2003, 01:02 PM
Hey Gru,
I'm really impressed with the amount of work you've put into your reel over the past few months, I think there must be 7 or 8 new shots in there since an early version I saw. Don't know if you're still looking for crits, but a few comments:
The recent stuff with the ikjoe rigs is really nicely animated, especially the double bounce walk, but you could do with positioning the camera a bit closer in a lot of places, otherwise we miss the subtleties. The lip synch on the pulp fiction dude seems slightly off, maybe the curves of the mouth shapes are to smooth, and the 'm' shape on 'me' doesn't look right.
I'd take the bear at the end out, it doesn't really add much to your reel.
The animation on the characters with the detatched upper heads is really nice.
Great stuff, keep it coming:thumbsup:

grury
12-15-2003, 01:26 PM
Thanks mattmos,
yep its been much of an improvement since my old reel, it was lacking most of the basic stuff, likely I had some free time recently and managed to do a fair amount of personal work.
I agree on the close up camera, specially on the slip clip, gotta render the thing again.

Cheers mate!

Iotrez
12-17-2003, 01:27 PM
Some really nice animation. I like the animations done with the skeletons.

Maybe when the guy is kicked by his reflection, he could fall a bit quicker.

Volker
12-17-2003, 05:28 PM
Hey Gru, good look'n stuff here. Couple comments...

In the first two clips of walking, there seems to be a little weight issue. It seems like the charaters aren't forward enough when their weight is placed on their leading foot. Usually, when weight is released in a character's body, his center is usually over that leading foot. Right now he's inbetween his two feet. Hope you can understand that, let me know if I should elaborate more. Also in that first clip "now I will show you..." his posing is a little boring. Maybe push his pose a little more in the dramatic direction. There is some knee popping in the next "slip" clip, and again with the weight thing. In the lifting exercise, before he picks up the weight, he picks up his feet to shift his weight, but his feet and body are moving and the exact same time. Offset that a bit, and add some overlap. I think some of the lifting could me slowed down a bit to convey more weight, but that's a personal preference. The fall looks good though. The thing that struck me in the next waking clip, was his upperbody movment. After every step, it seems like he's throwing his head back quite forcfully, and it looks like he's doing it on purpose, not as a result of the walk style. I'm going to skip some of the clips cause I don't have all day.... The floating head I think has issues. At this point, I think he's hurting your reel more than helping it. I'm seeing a lot of problem areas with the lip synching, and I think some of the acting choices with the head motion could be more deliberate. The timing seems to be a bit wishywashy. Some of the next clips with the long necked bird don't seem to really be adding anything to the reel. Most of the time he's just standing there, and maybe his head will nod. My personal rule of thumb concerning reels is that if it doesn't add something new, or really show my abilities, then don't add it, it's just fluff. In the sneek cycle, his hands are pretty still. Maybe bring them in closer to his body when his weight shifts? You could really embelish the anim if you added more subtly in the hands. The little green man is a bit wishywashy as well. His movments aren't defined enough. He seems to be floating to and from all his poses. Try to pick just a couple strong poses, and stay in those, instead of a different pose every beat. After the red man gets up and starts limping away, the limp seems a little poppy. I think you could smooth it out just a little bit. He just seems to limp too quickly, when he takes his steps. It's a little too extreme on the quick-slow. The quick is just too quick. Actually...as I look again, maybe there just isn't enough ease out, from the limp. As the little green guy runs toward the screen, there seems to be a slight pause or two before he gets to the wall. I could see it in the side view also. Well, that's all I've got the time for, hope it helps, and I hope it doesn't come across as harsh. You're doing a great job, keep it up. Remember, it's the small stuff that makes the difference. Let me know if some of this doesn't make any sense...:applause:

~Zach

grury
12-18-2003, 03:24 PM
oooohhhh! Thanks a lot guys and thanks a lot Zach for spending all that time to analyse and write down all those issues, very much apreciated..sure will look at all those once i get back from my xmas vacation in 3 weeks time...

cheers and merry xmas

GameFace
12-18-2003, 04:06 PM
:bounce: Nice reel, the deisgn of it was pretty damn good. What I like about it was the different variety of animation you showed in it. You hit alot of areas of animation which is damn good. Your weight shifting is really good especially in the one with the character trying to push the heavy box.. The two things i would comment on is yoru regular walk. It to me doesn't feel like a flowing walk yet. and your torso animation in a convosations i think it may be a lil slow at time and your smoothign through your holds. Som of them i think you just need to hit the extreem hard. over shoot a lil bit then have a small dropp off rate.. yours is ddoing lil bit too smooth.. but thats just what i think. It looks good. I myself am working on my thesis right now. I am a senior at the School of visual arts. Later next semester I will be working on my thesis. Good luck on it.. I would like to talk to you more. this is m my first time on cg talk. Have a nice day.

Heres a quick render on my thesis in progress what you think

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.