PDA

View Full Version : New System. Photoshop & Maya

nervouselk
12-15-2003, 11:49 AM
Ah ok, hope someone here can help. I am looking to make my current machine faster or if not upgrade to a new machine. I have a P3 500 with 512mb (should be more like 896mb but its not recognising each block as 256 just 128) and an Ati radeon allinwonder card. Currently when drawing in photoshop at 300 + dpi I am experiencing a lot of waiting for the brush to update on the screen which is hindering my work flow. I dont think this is a memory issue as there is no swapping to the hard disk, I also get this problem when the resolution is reduced but to a lesser degree. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of how to get around this problem. Is it possible that it is to do with the graphics card or is the only culprit the processor? I would like to sort the problem on this machine so I dont have to shell out 1000's for a top end PC just yet.

GregHess
12-15-2003, 12:46 PM
Sounds like you'll need to upgrade your system.

You don't need to invest thousands though...a nice nforce2, athlon 2700+ XP system would easily be under 500 USD (maybe even under 400 USD) and would easily increase speed expodentially.

When you start getting into the larger resolutions in photoshop, processor power definitely comes into effect in a MAJOR way.

Considering a 2.0 ghz chip costs less then 60 USD...500 megahertz is a bit behind the times.

Quick test in Photoshop.

Open one of your files. Get out the smudge tool. Wipe it all over your file as quickly as possible.

If the computer sits there and takes forever to update the smudge tool...its time to upgrade.

http://www.wam.umd.edu/~greghess/smudge.jpg

nervouselk
12-15-2003, 01:15 PM
Thanks, so I am gussing from that reply that getting a faster graphics card a lone will not do anything? looks like I may need to upgrade then.

GregHess
12-15-2003, 01:28 PM
Graphic card performance in 2D has been pretty much even across the board for a few years now. Matrox still owns a slight edge, but the negatives of their boards far outweigh any of the slightly benefits.

Photoshop performance is primarily effected by CPU speed. Secondary and Teritary effects are Ram speed/amount and Harddrive speed.

In rare cases photoshop can be limited by a video card, but that would only be the case in a much older system.

nervouselk
12-15-2003, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the information. I think I may look at just updating the motherboard and CPU then. Perhaps to a P4 something... would this spec run a document in photoshop at around 300 DPI 21x29 cm without any/much slowdown? It is hard for me to guess. I currently use a Xeon 2.8ghz 1gb at work which doesnt have too many problems at this resolution. Would like the performance to be similar but don't really want to invest that much money in a system just yet. But i can not put up with the updating of the brush between brush strokes at the moment.

GregHess
12-15-2003, 02:30 PM
A 2700+ XP on an nforce2 system with a decent amount of memory should handle that resolution just fine.

I have a few test systems here, I'll see if I can get a 11x17@300dpi image to test with.

(I'm on a 2700+ XP nforce2 system right now).

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.