PDA

View Full Version : finally....an affordable matchmover!!

Zendorf
12-15-2003, 08:37 AM
After the fiasco that happened with Icarus, someone has finally had the good sense to release match moving software that is on par with Boujou/Matchmover that the rest of us can afford...only $349us..

From Matt Merkovich, lead 3-D tracker for Asylum Visual Effects on Master and Commander: Far Side of the World, starring Russell Crowe: From Matt Merkovich, lead 3-D tracker for Asylum Visual Effects on Master and Commander: Far Side of the World, starring Russell Crowe:
"I used SynthEyes to track dozens upon dozens of shots for Master and Commander and it never once failed to produce perfect results. In fact, shortly after beginning to use an early beta version of it, I dropped all other tracking software and ended up doing all my tracking in Master and Commander using those early beta versions of SynthEyes. And it has only gotten better since then! SynthEyes is the software to use if your tracking needs range from simple to the very most complex of shots. It easily is the best camera match mover and object tracker out there."

Joe Ken, Asylum Visual Effects: "I'm really impressed with the program. The more I use it, the quicker I get. I'm amazed at the shots that you can track with SynthEyes that would be impossible with boujou or other trackers, and how straight forward it is."

Steffen Hacker, Hackermovies.com: Since we only work with Matchmover 2.5 licenses at the Filmakademie I nearly gave up a shot which was shot with a very wide 12mm-optic on a XL1s with P+S-Mini35-Adapter, because it always produced poor results and I thought because of distortion or other things it might not be trackable. But your amazing software proved me wrong! With autotrack SynthEyes produced a better track after 2 mins than Matchmover ever did"

http://www.ssontech.com/index.html

btw ...I am not affiliated with the company, just a happy beta tester :)

robinson
12-15-2003, 11:40 AM
thank's for the link Zendorf :beer:

It was about time for a cheap matchmoveing software.:cry:

yoni-cohen
12-16-2003, 07:50 AM
as a scenegenie fan (best semiautomatic tracker I've used) I can't help but say it looks like a stand alone version with automatic tracking.

good work

rich novak
12-16-2003, 07:15 PM
i have a hard time understanding what this thing does. i see it was used in some films and on tv, but what does it really do? it sounds like a mocap alternative, but i think i'm wrong.

can someone develop a short, simple case study example for the like of me?

thanks!

ren

davemcd
12-17-2003, 01:42 AM
I was a beta tester on this piece of software, and i gotta say it is pretty damn good. Its easily comparable to a lot of other high price 3d tracking sofware. Dont let the small price make you think its a cheap piece of software. I used it on several fairly tricky tracks and they worked very well.

One track was a continuos piece of helicopter footage (quite shaky) that went for about a minute.

I think everyone who needs some tracking software should buy it before it gets bought out by a bigger company and sold for much more (it could happen)

DaveMcD

lragno
12-18-2003, 02:35 PM
I've downloaded the demo and have been trying to use it for various shots.

Here are a couple comments. Maybe the beta testers, or anyone else who has played around with SynthEyes, could give me some ideas.

1. I found the documentation to be lacking. The tutorials do not cover enough of the software's functions. Does anyone have, or can author, a couple of tutorials?

2. Could anyone describe a good workflow using this software?

3. I'm really considering purchasing SynthEyes over SceneGenie. What are the pros and cons of this?

thanks - in advance

allseeingi
12-19-2003, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by rich novak
i have a hard time understanding what this thing does. i see it was used in some films and on tv, but what does it really do? it sounds like a mocap alternative, but i think i'm wrong.

can someone develop a short, simple case study example for the like of me?

thanks!

ren

OK, you decide that you want to integrate a piece of 3d rendered imagery into a live-action shot, think Stargate SG-1 where they have the actors with a CG spaceship behind them for example. But the camera itslef is moving around all over the place and you want to make the spaceship appear to be in a fixed position, hovering above the ground. Well, there's two ways of doing this. You can either import the footage into the background of your 3d program and manually animate the 3d camera (or the spaceship) by eye, frame by frame (24-30 frames a second...ouch) so that it looks like it's in the same position all the time. As you can guess this is time consuming and boring. So the other method is to use a tracker like this which analyses the footage and automatically determines which way the camera is moving and rotating (Usually by tracking particular pixels). The end result is a motion description file that can be applied to the 3d camera, exactly replicationg the motion of the live-action camera. So all you have to do insert the spaceship in the correct position on the first frame, render away and low and behold when you apply the render on top of the live-action footage the position of the spaceship is static in the shot.

I'm sure you can appreciate how many shots in films and tv this technique can be applied to.

I hope I've explained this clearly. Does that clarify?

- allseeingi

davemcd
12-19-2003, 04:43 AM
Originally posted by lragno
I've downloaded the demo and have been trying to use it for various shots.

Here are a couple comments. Maybe the beta testers, or anyone else who has played around with SynthEyes, could give me some ideas.

1. I found the documentation to be lacking. The tutorials do not cover enough of the software's functions. Does anyone have, or can author, a couple of tutorials?

2. Could anyone describe a good workflow using this software?

3. I'm really considering purchasing SynthEyes over SceneGenie. What are the pros and cons of this?

thanks - in advance

The documentation could be a little better and if you've not done much tracking before it can take a while to learn how to do it well. This is the same for every tracking software... unfortunately its a bit of a dark art that requires persistance.

Have you gone through and done the tutorials on the site? If not i recommend that you do to get a good grounding. As with any other tracking software the difference between the tutorial footage and your own shots are always a world apart... tutorial footage invariably works perfectly in the package it was meant for and is usually an automated process.... interestingly enough i've tried different tutorial footage in other packages and never get the same results with the automated solutions.

Anyway my workflow with syntheyes tends to go like this...

1.Import footage
2.try an automated track to see how well it does
3.find out where the errors and problems are
4.try either a supervised track or combine automated and supervised. In this case usually trying to put my supervsed trackers in trouble areas.
5. keep trying to refine the track and figure out where errors are and why they occur.... mostly its due to bad trackers, not enough trackers at a given time etc... basically you have to use your brain etc look at the graph tools etc and try to identify how where and why things dont work and then fix them.

I've used the scene genie demo and it seemed pretty nice. Though Syntheyes seems to do exactly the same type of things for a lot less $.... plus its a standalone app which scene genie isnt.

DaveMcD

Whelkn
12-19-2003, 07:09 AM
I just bought it and all I can say is WOW!!!! coming from using Icarus this is a breath of fresh air. Much better work flow and more tools to help you get that perfect track---this is cool!!!

Jeremy

lragno
12-19-2003, 04:17 PM
davemcd, thanks for the reply.

you're right about having experience in order to truly understand how to use a matchmover utility such as SynthEyes.

Since I virtually have none, I was wondering if anyone has any links to some good info or tips, tricks, tutorials, etc. on how to use matchmoving software.

I'm seriously considering purchasing SynthEyes but I dont want to just buy it and have just sit on my PC, though it seems (from all the posts) that it kicks ass. :thumbsup:

davemcd
12-23-2003, 04:44 AM
Irango.... I havent seen any tutes apart from the ones that ship with each piece of software. Basically all i can suggest is to go through the existing tutes that Russ has made. Then try to use it on similar footage that you've made yourself, or even got from other tracking software demo's ;). Russ has been pretty helpful with my queries whilst beta testing. He had mentioned possibly setting up a forum on his site to discuss the software. Hopefully this will happend and will help answer peoples questions about the software.

If you're not having much luck with your own footage try to shot somethign simple to begin with. You might benefit from either making or buying some tracking points (little red stickers work well) and just track that to begin with. The handy hints i can give you for starting out are:

dont move too jerkily if you can help it
make sure you're actually moving not just doing a tripod shot (though there are ways in the tutes to get 3d from this data using multi shots)
try to get a reasonable amount of perspective change happening
try not to have other objects moving in the shot
dont try to do too long a shot to begin with.... 10 seconds is more than ample....

other than that try to give it a go.... and make sure you do read the manual and tutes... it is full of a wealth of info... lots of it doesnt make sense till you start to get a feel for the software though. Its pretty rewarding to get a succesful track and then integrate some 3d into it

DaveMcD

Mechis
12-23-2003, 08:15 AM
I was looking at SynthEyes and the program looks pretty interesting. I have a question though- one of the uses for the program is listed as "Matte paintings (ah, so that's what sunset on Mars looks like)". How is it useful for matte paintings?

It seems like the program is useful for taking live action video, determining how the camera moves and exporting that info to a 3d program. Where do matte paintings fit in and how would the program work with them?

Thanks!

yoni-cohen
12-26-2003, 05:54 PM
you can use rotoscoping or matte footage to mask the auto tracking feature.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.