PDA

View Full Version : Character: Attempt at a Head

Aluuk
12-15-2003, 12:25 AM
So this was my first time trying something like this. It is my first time trying to make a realistic head model, and first time trying to texture a head. I am kinda disappointed in the results, but then I must have been silly to think I could make a photoreal head my first time out the gate. The hair, shirt, and background are from a photo, the rest of it is 3d. I used Maya and photoshop. Hopefully I will get some great crits and comments that will help me take this and future work to the next level.

Thanks for your time

Aluuk

PS: If you squint, it almost looks real :p so atleast I have that much going for me.

http://www.sora-ent.com/jeffers/3d/face1/final5.jpg

leigh
12-15-2003, 12:39 AM
The biggest problem with your model is that it is perfectly symmetrical. No head (or body) in reality is symmetrical. Making it asymetrical for a start would improve it drastically.

That aside, the photo textures kinda ruin it since the head has no apparent shading properties of its own, and you haven't set up your own nice lighting for it. You mentioned that the hair, etc is a photo but to me it looks like the entire head comes from a photo (the face has the same photo grain and pixellation in it) that you've mirrored. You should never leave lighting in a photo if you use that photo as a texture. The lighting on the face photo makes the entire render look strange.

However, I think you should focus on your modelling skills and try and improve those before you even think about tackling shading and texturing.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.