PDA

View Full Version : The VFX of Battlestar Galactica on CGNetworks

Leonard
12-14-2003, 11:58 PM
Hi all,

We're pleased to bring you another exclusive production coverage, this time on the visual effects work that Zoic Studios produced for the remake of Battlestar Galactica.

>> The VFX of Battlestar Galactica << (http://www.cgnetworks.com/story_custom.php?story_id=1838)

http://www.cgnetworks.com/stories/2003_12/battlestar/header03.jpg

Leo

JDex
12-15-2003, 12:52 AM
Great read there Leo... now for the big question, is the series going to be picked up. I'd love to see it through as well as give Zoic the opportunity to really step it up and make BG something to really remember.

eliseu gouveia
12-15-2003, 02:34 AM
A great read.
Itīs SO unfortunate that such an amazing talent pool was wasted on such a baby neck-breaking of a mini.

anobrin
12-15-2003, 11:38 PM
the space battles were very well Done:thumbsup:

Its too bad the acting was horrible
and they mutilated the original premis
for the sake of gratuitous "sexual tension"
:cry:

GARBAGE!!!!!:rolleyes:

richcz3
12-16-2003, 01:14 AM
I just saw the the complete showing last nite. It wasn't as bad as I was expecting. There was enough story and style there to make it worth sitting through.

On the cast side, I think Edward James Olmos acting was probably the best and the remaining cast spiraled down in quality after that. Those passion scenes were a real bit of ham acting. Like someone decided to throw an adult theme for the sake of keepin the male audience focused. Hmmm my memories of the old shows premise was hoakie at best with cardboard acting.

richcz3

facial
12-16-2003, 01:41 AM
Really cool stuff. Thax.
:beer:

chadtheartist
12-16-2003, 02:10 AM
The only thing I didn't like about the effects in the show was the zoom that they used during the space shots. I don't understand it myself, but for some reason it made the 3D models appear small, and fake. Without that zoom though, like during the rest of the space scenes, everything looked fine.

But I liked the show over all. Not being a fan of the old series probably had a lot do to with my decision though. Oh, and Starbuck was probably the worst actress in the show. Really poor performance.

swampthing
12-16-2003, 02:40 AM
The fact that starbuck was an "actress" was enough wrong with the show for me not to watch it since the original was a favorite of mine as a kid. Dirk Benedict probably had seizures.

Too bad too since some of those shots look good.

RobertoOrtiz
12-16-2003, 03:19 AM
The only thing I know is that the guys at Zoic they should clear the mantle, becuase they WILL win the Emmy for VFX.

-R

oxyg3n
12-16-2003, 03:27 AM
INteresting read. I vagely remember the show as a little kid. I am tempted to look into the mini series now.

Tychoides
12-16-2003, 03:33 AM
Originally posted by RobertoOrtiz
The only thing I know is that the guys at Zoic they should clear the mantle, becuase they WILL win the Emmy for VFX.

-R

didn't zoic win an emmy already for the shots on the Firefly pilot ? the shots were somewhat similar in concept. :thumbsup:

Phennim
12-16-2003, 10:44 AM
I wonder if Cylons care about a scenic view, or if they need properly lit rooms.
Or is it just that those windows on space ships are the accepted norm these days?

Modron
12-16-2003, 11:41 AM
Judging from the pic, it can't resemble the old one too closely. Maybe they should call it 'BootleStar Galorctica' or something. :shrug:

erik2003
12-16-2003, 02:08 PM
Major Phuckup alert.

stephen2002
12-16-2003, 02:17 PM
I thought the mini-series was good. I must say that SciFi BETTER turn it into an actual series; I was really getting into it and then it just ends with a cliffhanger. The VFS was also good although there were quite a few spots were the movements of the ships seemed to disregard inertia and made them look like they had no mass.

Good article!

3dvideo
12-16-2003, 02:54 PM
I'd love to see the lightwave models released for the rest of us to play with :)

d

http://www.view3d.tv

CourtJester
12-16-2003, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Phennim
I wonder if Cylons care about a scenic view, or if they need properly lit rooms.
Or is it just that those windows on space ships are the accepted norm these days?

It gives a sense of scale. Otherwise how do you know for sure how big those mysterious nurnies are?

Zarathustra
12-17-2003, 06:48 PM
The whip-zooms made the miniseries great for drinking games. If you did a shot of tequila for every one of them, you'd probably not make it to the end.
:beer:

Projectkmo
12-17-2003, 08:03 PM
Does anyone know....?!?!?!

Are they thinking of making More episodes? It was left open...like they might.

I sure hope they do. I grew up with BSG and BuckRodgers etc.... and I was pleased with this re-make.... I'd love to see more.

If they can spend money on Tremmors.......then they should be able to spend some on a Quality show like BSG

DOOM!!

Mojo Rizen
12-17-2003, 08:50 PM
Viewing the original to this one, the new version is quite a bit darker. A sign of the times, but in a good way.

The Galactica was built more like a war ship with bulkheads etc. Some of the detail in the battle scenes like the retro firing to move a Viper, or sitting and just waiting looking for the Cylons was nice. You donít have to fly all the time in space, and they figured it out.

For a miniseries I found in enjoyable. Itís not perfect, but what is.

If it came out as a series I would consider watching it. A bit of time to grow and help things develop may do it some good.

gabe28
12-18-2003, 05:33 AM
Seems to me that making it a series could be done fairly cheaply since most of the models and sets are already done.

I hope they do make it a series. The mini was much better than I expected and I'm hard to please when it comes to scifi on TV.

insseuv
12-18-2003, 08:39 AM
yipiiii, i'm a fan of Galactica !! :applause:

zappenduster
12-21-2003, 09:28 AM
didnt galactica get green light for a series in mid 2004 or so these days ?

these whole spacescene made me think back to good old spacecenter babylon 5 even the spacestation for the weapons looked like a advanced babylon station with all that rings =)

GCKoerner
12-21-2003, 11:47 PM
Hey there!

My name's Gabriel C. Koerner, I was one of the visual effects modelers on the new 'Battlestar Galactica'.

I liked it, and I'm not biased from working on it. I can readily admit something I've worked on it crap, and boy have I worked on some steaming piles. I've been a science fiction nut all of my life, and having loved Ron Moore's DS9 writing (he was the best character writer in all of modern Star Trek), I was totally sold on the script.

I really wanted to love Enterprise, much like I really wanted to love Voyager, but my love for Star Trek is receding into the past. BSG will be my genre show of choice now, despite the fact that I'll probably be working on the series, too. :)

Anyhow, my contributions to the show were, top to bottom in importance: The Viper MK2 LightWave model & textures, the digital hanger bay extension model & textures, the Viper launch tube model & textures, a super hi-res model & textures of the Viper MK7 Canopy and nose (designed to replace bad blue screen plates of the prop, seen during the first fighter attack), Gemon Liner 1701, and a little transport for the fleet.

Didn't do Colonial One, Jose Perez did that. Too bad, woulda loved to, its the best wholly original design in the whole show.

Anyhow, if anybody has questions, or wants renders posted, or whatnot, that's cool. Due to the fact that they're studio property, I can't disclose models or anything like that.

Anyhow, would love to answer anybody's questions.

Zarathustra
12-22-2003, 12:15 AM
Yeah, some more renders would be cool. The Viper on your site looks great.

Mojo Rizen
12-22-2003, 02:26 PM
A high-rez Viper still, would be great. Iím always looking for fresh desk tops and would defiantly add a few from Battlestar. The Viper is one of my favourite Sci-Fi craft so post away, or leave a link. Any chance of posting/linking some renders from the show, or with some backgrounds?

I run 1152X870 screen resolution so anything that size or larger would be great.

If I get some time over lunch Iíll post some questions, it never hurts to pick someone else's brain. Until then I have to get back to work.

RobertoOrtiz
12-22-2003, 06:45 PM
Ok here is some candy

http://www.gabekoerner.com/fx/Gallery/viper_mk2_707_3.jpg
http://www.gabekoerner.com/fx/Gallery/viper_mk2_707_3.jpg
http://www.gabekoerner.com/fx/Gallery/viper_mk2_707_4.jpg

http://www.gabekoerner.com/fx/Gallery/viper_mk2_707_6.jpg

http://www.gabekoerner.com/fx/Gallery/viper_mk2_707_8.jpg

>>link<< (http://www.gabekoerner.com/fx/index.htm#)

-R

Zarathustra
12-22-2003, 07:17 PM
uh...yeah. That's what's on his site.:hmm:

In case anyone didn't know, you can just click that button labelled "web" under someone's post and it'll take you to their site. No site - no button.

enigma3d
12-31-2003, 03:26 AM
Hi there,

I just wanted to let everyone know that you are welcome to check out the art work that Enigma Studios did for the mini series.

Some of the images are not totally new as our Art director Eric Chu has been interviewed a few times and some of the images have been published.

However this little review gives everyone an overview of some of the concept drawings for the CG in the show that made it and some that did not, so enjoy!

To view go to www.enigma3d.com. Enter the site, select Gallary, select Art department and click Battlestar Galactica and select the Quicktime Icon.

Thanks
Mark Rasmussen,
DFX Supervisor/Founder
Enigma Studios Inc

Captain April
01-25-2004, 09:38 PM
Gabriel, since you asked, I would like to see a render of the bottom of the viper( or underside). Did you work on the Battlestar Galactica CGI model? If you have access please, please render some orthographic views of the new ship. Top, bottom, sides,front,back, both with the Pods retracted and in normal flight mode. :bowdown:

Ross Forster
01-26-2004, 01:50 AM
GCKoerner:buttrock:

Dude, I knew I recognised your name:lightbulb

...needless to say I remember you from a certain special that aired about 7 years ago, man thats a long time ago!

I did check to see what you were doing a few years back and saw that you had a stint at Foundation, which I expect for you was a dream come true...other than that I had no idea what you were doing now, but very cool to hear your working at Zoic.

I was just wondering whether you've had a visit from Denise Crosby about the new show already?;)

Well anyway...you've done some great work for BSG. Well done.

Ross

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.