PDA

View Full Version : FUSION: Z-Depth ?

michaelaaut
03-01-2013, 07:39 PM
Hello,

I use FUSION and I do have a simple 32bit.exr file which already includes the Z-Depth.
I only can see the Z-Channel if I click "Show Normalised Image" (right lower corner icon) of the viewport.

I know that this is only a preview and as soon as I uncheck the icon "Show Normalised Image" my Zdepth image is pure white.

I tried to add a color correction node to change the levels, but that has no impact at all.
Because of this, that my Zdepth is always one white solid image, I can not use it for Depth Blur or any other operation.

How can I change this ?
What do I have to do to make it work ?
What am I doing wrong ?
What do I forget ?
What do I not see here ?

Thank you so much for any little info.

pingking
03-02-2013, 07:54 PM
your z channel is probaly right. as you said you rendered an exr file, this means it can store float data, which means it can handle colors bigger than one (where 1 is fully white)
so your z channel seems to be not normalized (not pushed into values between 0 and 1) which is not bad, rather good.

you should use your z depth normaly with the depth channel to "z" and use the pick focal point
or hover your mouse over the picture and see what z value it shows in the lower bar. then set this as you focal point
maybe you have to play with focal scale value to find a good looking blur (lets say a okay looking blur)

if really need a normalized z channel, then you have to use the channel boolean to "shuffle" your z channel to rgb. after that you can use any color correction you like. just set the gain value to 1/highest depth number in you frame.
or you could use the auto gain tool let fusion automagically make the normalisation, this works also an the z channel (just check the checkbox)
but the auto gain tool will calculate the normalisation for every frame, so it will flicker and give different results in a animation

CGTalk Moderation
03-02-2013, 07:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.