PDA

View Full Version : a new system

SpankTheMonk
12-14-2003, 07:14 AM
I want to buy a system from a major manufactuer because I don't have the time or the experince to build my own sysytem right now....I have heard talk about dell and how their systems are unteakable....I was wondering about the other companies I was also thinking about ibm....

what I need is system with a topnotch video card for 3d creation....a really good processor for rendering and the top, I guess ddram memory.....but I only want to pay around 1500 and no more than 1800.....anybody have any suggestions.....I could always add a larger hard drive later(I would probably want a mini tower so there is plenty of room to upgrade..) and the monitor I already have a 21 inch that I could just hook up....

I appreaciate all the suggestions...

3Dfx_Sage
12-14-2003, 05:41 PM
http://www.alienware.com/workstations_dcc.aspx ??? I havn't really checked them out, but if their pro comps compare to their game comps then they will be overpriced but super performers

iC4
12-14-2003, 06:06 PM
well, I personally would NEVER buy such a system from alienware, 3dboxx etc.....they are way overpriced - of course they use nice hardware and they have tested their configurations.....but you are paying +1000$ just because of that.

if you don't know much of pc hardware, just write here what software you will use and we could suggest some hardware components - then go to the next pc shop, give him the specifications, pay maybe 20$ more and let him assemble the pc for you.

but well....thats just my mine ;)

3Dfx_Sage
12-14-2003, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by iC4-
well, I personally would NEVER buy such a system from alienware, 3dboxx etc.....they are way overpriced - of course they use nice hardware and they have tested their configurations.....but you are paying +1000$ just because of that. yeah, they are way overpriced. but, to some people, that much money is not an issue but having to mess with anything more than just paying for it and saying "thanks" is a big deal. I know lots of people who buy Macs because a)the macs will do what they want, b)they dont have to screw with them.

iC4
12-14-2003, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by 3Dfx_Sage
yeah, they are way overpriced. but, to some people, that much money is not an issue but having to mess with anything more than just paying for it and saying "thanks" is a big deal. I know lots of people who buy Macs because a)the macs will do what they want, b)they dont have to screw with them.

offcourse, when you are a big company and wanna add, lets say 100pcs to your offices than its nice because you do not need to worry about all. but if you are a single privat person how needs to look at every cent (at least I have to do this ^^) then I wouldn't recommend it.

and for 1500$ you don't get a nice 3dboxx or alienware system, but you will get a kick ass selfmade system. thats why I suggested this ;)

3Dfx_Sage
12-14-2003, 06:22 PM
yeah, but some private citizens dont really need to watch every cent. I know people that say to me "whats the absolute fastest computer that exists right now?" then "ok great, get me one," without even bothering to ask how much it will cost....

Dreamabyss
12-14-2003, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by iC4-
and for 1500$ you don't get a nice 3dboxx or alienware system, but you will get a kick ass selfmade system. thats why I suggested this ;)

Mind posting what your idea of a $1500
"kick-ass" selfmade system would consist of? No matter how I try to add up the costs (using pricewatch) I always come up with $1800 to $2000 price range for a mid to highend system.

Al

SpankTheMonk
12-15-2003, 07:05 AM
well specificly I am going to use painter and photoshop to color and create concept illustrations.......and when I get them....use maya and or 3d max to visuallize the drawings in 3d enviroment....
those are the main uses...

erazal
12-15-2003, 07:31 AM
Mind posting what your idea of a $1500 "kick-ass" selfmade system would consist of? No matter how I try to add up the costs (using pricewatch) I always come up with $1800 to $2000 price range for a mid to highend system.

Now that really depends on the specs your looking for right? I mean you can skimp on a few things and just get the really important parts (CPU, Motherboard, RAM, VideoCard) and spend less money on the rest, and you can get something along the lines of $1500

Also, that's an advantage you have by having a "self made" PC, you can search for parts that are cheaper in many places where retailers sell them for much more.

Right now i live in Toronto, Canada, and i can easily get a PC that's worth $1500 CAD by searching for parts. That's a lot less in USD, so i'm sure you can play around with the parts, and research where you can get parts for cheap.

On a plus side as well, at least you'll know what parts you have in your pc for sure. Nobody can screw you over that way.

gigantor
12-15-2003, 08:09 AM
If your going to buy an ALienWare ,which I suggest you do not.

Please go to this websight.. http://www.bewareofalienware.com/main.html

AlienWare is one of the most deceitful companies I have ever seen.

If you have to have an Alienware, make sure you cover your ass. Use American express, so if they give you any trouble (which they will) you can charge them back.

Honestly Id avoid Alienware like the plague.

iC4
12-15-2003, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Dreamabyss
Mind posting what your idea of a $1500
"kick-ass" selfmade system would consist of? No matter how I try to add up the costs (using pricewatch) I always come up with $1800 to $2000 price range for a mid to highend system.

Al

First I need to know which applications you will use. maya? 3dmax? compositing....etc.

GregHess
12-15-2003, 11:54 AM
If your looking for an already built system, I highly recommend boxx technologies.

http://www.boxxtech.com

Though of course their systems will cost more then a self-built system, you must remember your buying their support.

Which as many will tell you, is the best in the industry. They're the polar opposite of alienware in that regard.

For more information, do a search on this forum for boxx, or boxxtech.

iC4
12-15-2003, 03:09 PM
1 x Samsung SpinPoint P80 120GB
1 x AMD Athlon 64 3200+ boxed, 2.0GHz, 1024kB Cache
1 x Kingston ValueRAM DIMM Kit 1024MB PC3200 CL3-3-3
1 x Gigabyte GA-K8VT800 Pro, K8T800 (PC3200 DDR)
1 x LiteOn/JLMS LTD-163 Retail
1 x Chieftec Dragon DX-01WD (CS-601), Midi-Tower
1 x Antec SL350, 350W ATX
1 x PNY QuadroFX 1000, 128MB DDR, DVI, AGP

~1800$

my suggestion

take a a64 3000+ and it will cost you 1600 bucks.

maybe it's a bit cheaper.....I took the prices from austria.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.