PDA

View Full Version : LCD or CRT? Monitor help!!!!!

erazal
12-14-2003, 05:47 AM
Okay, i'm hoping to go with dual processors and i'm going all out on my new system. I've pretty much gotten the important parts out of the way.......EXCEPT for the monitor.

I have a couple of questions regarding monitors:

1. should i go LCD or CRT? I'm going to be doing heavy 3D animations and a little 2D animations as well. I've heard that LCD Monitors arent good to use and that CRT's are better in the digital media, but i'm not sure how valid that statement is. Seems a lot of people here use LCD monitors, and i'd really like to use it as well.

2. If i'm going to go LCD, which one would any of you suggest getting? I want to get at least a 19" monitor since i'm currently using a KDS 190i monitor which is extremely heavy and might break my Ikea JERKER desk.

3. What is the criteria for choosing the proper LCD monitor? I mean what should i be looking for in terms of specs? Dot pitch? color? i mean, what constitutes a GOOD QUALITY LCD monitor?

I'm hoping to go Dual monitors, and the keyword here is "hoping" since it's going to be expensive enough to get my Dual PC setup. I'll settle for only one LCD as long as it's an LCD and it's light enough to not kill my desk and thin enough to take less space on my desk.

Any help would be great!

singularity2006
12-14-2003, 07:18 AM
I use both and here is my opinion: lately, I've become too blind to tell the difference.

However, in the initial switch over, the CRT was superior in color and sharpness. But the LCD was also pretty dang close and omG, my eyes felt so much better @ the end of the day. But these days, the LCD's I've seen and the CRT's come out so nice anyway! wow! But I think the CRT still has higher quality images because of the technology it uses (photons vs. crystal cells (or something like that for an LCD)).

Eh, but what am I talking about? I'm blind now. -.-"

Go do a search for "LCD" in this forum and u'll find globs of this topic being beaten to death. Have fun! :beer:

oxyg3n
12-14-2003, 08:13 AM
I agree the topic has been beaten to death in another thead on this forum. YOu can read it here:

lcd, are they worth it?? (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=82434&highlight=lcd)

sevenfingers
12-14-2003, 08:19 AM
I have yet to see a sub $3900 CRT that is sharper than a consumer grade LCD... If run in their native resolution, they outperform the CRT's when it comes to sharpness.

You might experience ghosting though, since the refresh rates are quite low (low refresh rates doesn't cause flicker in the same way as on a CRT though...).

Colour wise, CRT's are still better... but again, I'm talking Barco screens or something when I say better.

Also, in 99 percent of the cases, there's no difference in resolution if you buy a 17 or a 19" LCD. SO I 'd rather buy two 17" or one 23".

You might also consider buying a small CRT used for calibrating color on your works... A setup used in the video business (well, at least in my school when I went there).

imashination
12-14-2003, 01:30 PM
You want:
A pixel response time <=20ms - If this is 25ms or higher then you will get ghosting on fast moving scenes. These may be listed as 2 numbers which should be added together, eg. "tr:15ms, tf:10ms" = 25ms

A contrast ratio of at least 400 - This will ensure that blacks are very pure rather than chacoal

Brightness of at least 250 - This makes your whites brighter thean white ;-)

A resolution you can use day to day, consider 1280 as the minimum.

DVI input - using an analogue signal on a flat screen would defeat the point. Note that only pro level cards such as qudro and firegl have dual dvi.

Good brands to aim for are NEC, Hitachi and Apple. There are more, but I am unqualified to make a statement.
Brands to avoid are Sony (surprisingly) and Medion

Remember, 19" lcd compares to 20"- 21" CRT

Jb5k1
12-14-2003, 04:16 PM
[i]
Brands to avoid are Sony (surprisingly) and Medion[/B]

that is surprising, any reason for the need to avoid sony?

imashination
12-14-2003, 04:28 PM
Their flat screens are premium priced (as always) but they don't offer anything better than unbranded screens other than fancy screen surrounds. Almost all of their screens have slower pixel responses (25-35ms) and poor contrast (<300). This is based my my trip to a large Sony centre a few months ago, so they may have something new.

3Dfx_Sage
12-14-2003, 05:14 PM
when compareing CRT and LCD sizes you need to remember that the stated size of a CRT is not how much you actually see. So, on a 19inch CRT you're getting more like 17inches. On a LCD the stated size is what you will actually see. So, a 17inch LCD is about the same as a 19inch LCD.

iC4
12-14-2003, 06:19 PM
I had a nice samsung 19" crt before I bought my fujitsu-siemens x19 (19" tft).

The samsung was a really nice monitor, I always loved it, but now I would NEVER go back to a crt monitor.

3Dfx_Sage
12-14-2003, 06:24 PM
yeah, I used to have an old Viewsonic Professional Series 17inch CRT (the top of the line Pro one too) but after 1 hour with my 19inch NEC LCD I will NEVER go back. For a while I had them side-by-side in dual monitor setup, but I just couldnt stand having that nasty thing next to my pretty CRT, it felt like it was polluting my eyes. So, I bought another LCD :P

ironbooker
12-14-2003, 06:32 PM
I Aslo have a dual Monitor Setup, in front of me Samsung LCD to the right Viewsonic CRT, to be honest i love the LCD better, its more bright and the images are more sharper than the Viewsonic CRT Monitor.
Saving for a LCD, to replace mi CRT.
PLus My eyes Like more the LCD =)

stephen2002
12-14-2003, 10:55 PM
LCD is the way to go unless you are doing presise color matching for print.

erazal
12-15-2003, 07:13 AM
Hmmm..... Well i'm mostly going to be doing 3D animations and possibly special effects. The only Print work i'll be doing is possibly, after coloring my comic book pages in photoshop, print them out, as well as having my business cards done and such.

So the LCD and CRT main difference really is color?

Also, serious print work? does that include my whole comic book thing i mentioned above, cuz i mean it's no big deal, i'll just use my current CRT for doing the coloring on my comics, but it would be nice to have a LCD that works for both.

Can someone explain the color difference a little more? I just want to understand how bad it is to do print work on the LCD. What major differences would the printout have specifically?

Hope someone can help. Thanks

ironbooker
12-15-2003, 01:51 PM
Well, erazal I am no Big Tech Guy, but I can give you some links for you to read and research about this so you can decide about wich is the best for you.

http://www.viewsonic.com/pdf/wp_lcd.pdf

and also in this page

http://www.viewsonic.com/support/whitepaper.htm

Hope this helps a little

stephen2002
12-15-2003, 02:14 PM
The print thing is only important if you are working in a situation that the monitors and printers are specifically calibrated so what you see on the monitor is exactly what you see on the page. A calibrated LCD dosn't usually represent colors quite as accuratly as a calibrated CRT but they are getting very very close.

I would say that most of the time doing print work on a good quality LCD will be sufficient, espeically if you take the time to print out a good test image and then adjust your monitor with that.

There are more differences between the LCD and CRT. Take a look at that other thread as it has been discussed there.

raz-0
12-16-2003, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by imashination
You want:
DVI input - using an analogue signal on a flat screen would defeat the point. Note that only pro level cards such as qudro and firegl have dual dvi.

Actually the latest top end gaming cards (9800XT and some of the 5900 ultras) have dual dvi now too.

erazal
12-16-2003, 02:35 AM
Actually, for my rig, i'm going to get one of the Quadro cards to do some serious 3d stuff so the LCD will benefit me as well.

mattcioffi
12-31-2003, 05:21 PM
I just had monitor buying experience. I went through a couple of the lengthy threads in this forum about this subject and they were very helpful -- so i figured i would post my own personal expierience. some stuff below may be really redundant. i hope my swing on it is beneficial: (monitors i tried out: samsung 192n & 191t+[both LCD], and the NEC-Mitsubishi dimaond Pro 2070sb-bk CRT)

i had no idea about the current short comings of LCD displays ( color depth, response time etc.) when i bought one a week ago. the first one i bought was from a store that had no restock fee so i figured i would try it. i seen LCDs in the store displaying games and videos and i thought they looked great. i was pchyed to get rid of my heavy CRT because i'm moving cross country soon.

the first monitor i got was an samsung 192n: i was suprised to get it home and find that there was no DVI (digital video input) -- i thought all newer LCDs have DVI --dooh! i used it for a bit and discovered first hand about the response time stuff. games and dvds looked alright but there was noticeable ghosting and smearing of fast moving high contrast edges- especially on greys. when using Maya these artifacts were unexceptable when previewing animations- spinning the viewport etc in my opinion.

i read a couple reviews praising the 191t so i figured i'd give that one a shot(i got the "191t plus"). there is alot to be said for this one. the quality was much better than the 192n color wise + crispness etc. the ergonomics as far as the casing are awesome. most everything looks crisp and great when surfing the web, doing word proc, and maybe using photoshop. it still has (though some what reduced from the 192n ) smearing and ghosting in fast moving images. the monitor is so nice that i was almost willing to deal with the smearing and use a second CRT to compensate. the kicker was how DVDs looked on it. it was appearent i was missing some of the color depth and fast moving stuff just gets mushy. i plan to do mostly modeling, animation and video work where i need to scrutinize the contrast, color and detail - i knew this monitor wasn't gonna do it for me.

at this point i was reading alot of reviews on monitors and i found the Diamond pro 2070sb 22"(it's predecessor actually). a local store had one so i got it. the quality of this monitor is uncompareable to any monitor i've seen when at 1280x1024 85hz refresh . i've been using a pro 21" trinitron for 6 years. it looks just about as crisp as an LCD and images, movies, games look amazing. i picked it up for $699. 3d games look outstandingly good on it. some cons: although it's pretty tightly packed for a 22" monitor -- it's freaking heavy -wieghs in at ~66lbs/ the geometry of the screen needs tweaking out of the box. (this is a cool feature of DVI LCDs no tweaking needed) has an awesome tweaking software that runs on your OS though/ during daylight i miss having the non reflective surface that the LCD monitors have.

and oh yeah it has this really cool superbright feature on it for games and movies -- one push of a button blasts up the brightness. also has a firewire + usb port built into the casing.

good luck

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.