PDA

View Full Version : Scene: Cottage in the Meadow

otacon
12-14-2003, 03:25 AM
This is a scene i've been working on for a while now, and have finally finished it up. I basically wanted to create a peaceful scene with a warm feeling to it. Comments would be greatly appreciated!:D
http://www.redrival.com/otacon/cottage1.jpg
if it doesnt show copy this and paste it into your address bar: http://www.redrival.com/otacon/cottage1.jpg

wgreenlee1
12-14-2003, 03:38 AM
the sunlight needs to be brighter
the grass/wheat needs to have variations in colour(in places where its lower-like troughs-it needs to be darker,in places on higher ground its always lighter
the tree looks a little stale but its ok
the camera needs a better perspective ratio...seems kinda flat

all these are just minor crits
this is a very intresting render....pretty good work:thumbsup:

Finkster
12-14-2003, 04:54 AM
Nice work mate. I really like what you're going for there, but it might work better if the shot was somewhat wider. You might get a better sense of scale and a feeling of isolation on the meadow. Instead of making the sun brighter, try adding some bloom to the bright areas of the house. Bloom can look really cheesy if overused, but a subtle touch can look really nice. It's also a quick technique and doesn't require any re-rendering. I like the grass, but it is a little too uniform. Maybe the occasional blade should be popping up from amongst the crowd. If you feel like going to the extra effort, try adding a few dynamics forces around the meadow. This could give the impression of the grass blowing in the breeze (the sky makes me think there is a storm coming)
Lovely sky there, how did you make it?

Hope you don't think I'm picking on it, it's just a nice work and has potential to be even better!

Great stuff.:thumbsup:

yakimushi
12-14-2003, 08:51 AM
Just a quick thought, those bricks look very very uniform, like the cottage was just built. Maybe rough those up a bit?

DrQuincy
12-14-2003, 09:43 AM
Very nice! Texturing and lighting is great. Modelling is good also but some bits look a little flat. The tree for example looks like it might even be just a plane with an opacity map. The corn(?) field bit look really good also. IMHO, what would look nice is if the corn was trodden into a path by the door area, that would look kewl.

otacon
12-14-2003, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the comments. As far as the camera goes, ive tried wider shots, and i just didnt like how it looked...but maybe i'll try it again....I agree that the bricks could use more variation, and i rushed that tree, so i dont really like it either...and it is modeled. The grass could use some work i guess...i was fairly happy with it, but i could work on more variation. It was made with sasquatch by the way. The sky is from a skybox ive had for quite a while, i forget exactly where i got it from. I had some stones leading up to the door, but the grass is too tall to see them, so i might lower the grass around that area. Thanks for the replies, they sure are helpful! :thumbsup:

boboroshi
12-14-2003, 05:49 PM
This looks great. The thing I would focus on to add a sense of it being lived in is foot wear. The wheat wouldn't grow right up to a door. So provide som kind of context around the house. Some kind of ground plane.

What app did you make this in?

otacon
12-14-2003, 10:43 PM
Good idea. Modeled and rendered in Lightwave!

boboroshi
12-14-2003, 11:04 PM
Does lightwave have anything similar to Maya's PaintFX or will it play nice with xFrog or something similar for tree generation?

otacon
12-14-2003, 11:49 PM
Im not sure what xFrog is, but for this tree i used a free plugin call treegrover. I used it for the branches, and i made the leaves myself.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.