PDA

View Full Version : >> My Avatar concept

SecretAgent
12-13-2003, 10:54 PM
--cANt, Beaneh

hey guys, here's the concept of my avatar you were asking about. This drawing is really old - I think I did it way back in 98' - and the marker rending isn't so good. Oh well.

http://www.207th-infantry.com/~mode7/Mode7_images/Roland/Roland_cncpt1.jpg

http://www.207th-infantry.com/~mode7/Mode7_images/Roland/Roland_cncpt2.jpg

Matt
12-14-2003, 10:00 AM
This reminds me a lot of the stylings of Eastman and Laird

JonasNoell
12-14-2003, 10:40 AM
Yeah looking cool! This ratguy has a lot of character ;)
You have a finished colored version as well?

Beaneh
12-14-2003, 12:22 PM
looking great, you should really try and color the whole version, and maybe make a model out of this? :P

SecretAgent
12-15-2003, 12:55 AM
>>Matt - yeah, I was definetly inspired by both Eastman and Laird. He was a character I played as in the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles RPG.

>>Beaneh, cANt - I really want to finish painting the Illustration (it's been a really long time since I did a full blown Illustration and I miss it.) I also want to model the character too - probably when I get a little more free time to do so.

Dhin
12-15-2003, 06:54 AM
Woh, I used to play TMNT, too. I didn't think any one even knew about that one. I played mainly After the Bomb stuff, but my char was a Weazel. I used to draw mine and all my frends chars for them, too.

Looks good, I agree with Beaneh you should model it.

SecretAgent
12-15-2003, 09:29 PM
--Dhin - yeah, I really love old pen and paper RPGs and still play them whenever I can gather a group of friends to do so ( I like Warhammer40k also ). It's been a long time since I played any though but, I really used to love Shadowrun, Rifts, TMNT, and 2nd ed. AD&D.

I do want to model this character but, I've got a company test to finish first (and then I want to modela realistic US Soldier which I've been delaying for far too long.) Sometime in the future though...

Anyways, if you have any old sketches of your old characters you should post them, I'd love to see em'.

Matt
12-15-2003, 10:09 PM
While we're on the subject of TMNT, in the first NES game, did anyone here actually ever beat the underwater level? (after the dam) You had to go around, I think disarming bombs, and you had to wait for these electric fences to shut off, to get through. I don't remember ever beating it.

Dhin
12-16-2003, 07:34 AM
Eric22 - ya, I'd still play them too, but all my friend that played are about 6000 miles away, and I don't know anyone around that does the pen and paper style playing, except for a few white wolf fans I've met. In fact my nic Dhin was one of my TMNT characters.

Rifts and Shadowrun, rocked. Did you ever try Paranoia? It was a sci-fi futuristic Orwellian 1984 type game. And with a good GM it was pretty cool, (get a bad one and it was boring as hell though.)

Unfortunately most of my old drawings are on the character sheets, so who know where they might be. The rest are somewhere in my parents storage unit (again 6000 miles away,) and I don't think my dad would know where to begin looking.

SecretAgent
12-16-2003, 05:06 PM
>>Dhin - I know the feeling, all my friends are across the country so I haven't played any rpgs in a real long time. I've heard of Paranoia but, never played it (I'll have to look it up now). I think next place I move I'm gonna try and look up a group of gamers, I really wanna get back into that stuff (it used to be so much fun, even if it was really dorky, heh.)

I still have almost all of the character sheets I used to play, including my first ever character from when I played Basic D&D (I was in 3rd grade I think!) adn I never got rid of my books, I still love to flip through them.

>>Matt - ha! yeah, that first TMNT game was hard as hell. I did manage to get past the waterdam/bomb level. From what I remember, you came up on the other side of the city and had access to the turtle van. Unfortunately things got really difficult and after playing for so long I would always quit there, heh. Oh well, I should go back and try and beat that game....I wonder if it's still that hard?

bentllama
12-27-2003, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by Matt
This reminds me a lot of the stylings of Eastman and Laird

yeah. I just had flashbacks to high school when I used to play palladiums TMNT RPG's...

oh I miss my mutant elephant with dual ingram 9mm and a ripped flannel shirt.

:)

SecretAgent
12-28-2003, 10:51 PM
heh, I'm glad to hear that a lot of you out there used to play traditional RPGs too. I really want to get back into that stuff one day...

bentllama
12-28-2003, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Eric22
heh, I'm glad to hear that a lot of you out there used to play traditional RPGs too. I really want to get back into that stuff one day...

i was just in the store and omfg they have come out with so many additional books...RIFTS was cool when there was only a few books, and now there are many many more... damn...

Dhin
12-29-2003, 10:26 AM
Hey maybe we should start a RPG group. Only real problems are that it couldn't be really trun based, and dice rolls would be hard. But I'm sure some thing could be set up. . . or not.

bentllama
12-29-2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Dhin
Hey maybe we should start a RPG group. Only real problems are that it couldn't be really trun based, and dice rolls would be hard. But I'm sure some thing could be set up. . . or not.

would be fun to roll for characters and create concept art for them...

cris castro
12-29-2003, 06:36 PM
i got aftermath, space opera ,call of cthulhu

LordDubu
12-29-2003, 11:51 PM
Woooo HOOOOO!!!

Former Pladium Nerds Unite!!!

I was a TMNT gamer too back in the days when Paladium was the only D20 system :)

'Course I was uber nerd enough to have pretty much the entire Paladium library...

I used to have mountains of TMNT character concept art too, anyone I GM'd for got an original d.Forrest concept sketch of thier character...

ahhhh the good old days.

SecretAgent
12-30-2003, 05:40 PM
The thing I most liked about Palladium games is how they were all based off the same rules system - you could easily use certain aspects of the different titles together. The games had great themes to them also.

Personally, I always liked Shadowrun over Rifts (I still liked Rifts) because I felt that Shadowrun had a lot more story development to it, the world was really fleshed out w/a strong historical background.

Palladium games is located right here in Michigan w/me! I always thought that was really cool to know when I used to be big into Rifts, Heros Unlimited, and TMNT.

LordDubu
12-30-2003, 06:07 PM
Well, more than TMNT I played palladium's Robotech games... ahhhh...

of course now... the anime-elite who oddly call themselve's otaku*, would round you up and burn you at the stake for playing a game based on Carl Macek translations....

*note: for you kiddies who think it's cool to be a self-labeled otaku... the conotations in Japanese are quite derogatory. You might as well just call yourself "non-bathing-socially-inept-completely-unappealing-to-the-opposite-sex-game-anime-nerd-dork-idiot" since it has pretty much the same gag reflex to a native japanese speaker.

SecretAgent
12-30-2003, 10:29 PM
Ah! I completely forgot about Robotech, yeah that was another awsome title they made into an RPG.

(I actually think the Robotech storyline is way better than Macross was - and I used to be pretty big into anime, before it became really mainstream over here.)

Dhin
12-30-2003, 10:41 PM
Ya, robotech was cool. That's actually the first RP I played. My first char was killed by Zentrody (Never could spell that one right) in the first roll of the battle. After that I was completly hooked. A couple weeks later we started playing Heros Unlimited, after that TMNT, Rifts, and countless others. Good times. I always loves the art in the palladium books. I just couldn't get enough, Damn I want to start playing again.

LordDubu
12-30-2003, 10:52 PM
Eric, suppose i should say so in the other threads, but your low poly texture stuff is great... really dig your HumV

SecretAgent
01-02-2004, 03:57 AM
Thanks a lot Lord! I still need some work w/my character stuff but, each piece I do, I learn a lot.

LordDubu
01-02-2004, 04:30 AM
yah, every piece is a learning experience for me as well... i suppose that's true for everyone, but just more true for us at the moment than it might be for some of the old hat types around here.

bentllama
01-02-2004, 06:23 AM
Eric22... nice work... what font did you use for the RED HORIZONS' logo?

SecretAgent
01-02-2004, 07:25 AM
Thanks bentllama! I think the font name is "Base02" or something like that.

By the way, how is work going on Halo 2 (you do work for Bungie right?)? I gotta say that is really cool you have a job at a top notch company like that. Can you share some of your experience there with us? Pleaseeeeee.....heh.

bentllama
01-02-2004, 08:18 AM
thanks for the font name.

as for bungie...yeah it is fun...alot of hard work. while i do not have the time to type out a good description I will include an article on it on my personal website someday...

www.bentllama.com

I will have it up soon... [kinda why I asked for the font ;)]

SecretAgent
01-02-2004, 07:58 PM
I totally understand your probably real busy - I bet thats a nice feeling though, Bungie seems like such a great company.

Anyways, I look forward to reading that article eventually. Thanks.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.