PDA

View Full Version : Camera Flashlights in Crowd

JayCox
02-25-2013, 04:21 PM
Hey guys :)

For an archi viz project, I currently have to set up a "live" catwalk show with camera flashes all over the place.

For this i thought an xpresso setup would be easiest, turning the lights on and off. I want them to flash for 3 frames each.

Now at first I thought I might just simply connect a random node with the lights enable to turn them on and off... But then I realised this does not ensure the lights to be on for 3 frames and then go off and then randomly go on again, but could with enough bad luck keep one light on for the entire time for example.

So lacking more time to experiment I simply created a Setup like this:

Time (Frame) --> Math: Modulo by 25 --> Compare (< 3) --> Light(Enable)

Like this I switch on the Light for 3 seconds and turn it off for 22. So far it's a yay... BUT
Now I have like 30 flash lights that should not all go off at the same time but offset.

Ok so we just add a Math:Add between Time(Frame) and Math Modulo and change it a bit.

Ok Now we got 2 different... then I played around with the modulo number making some go quicker some go faster... But this is a hell of lot of click-ity-clackin' 'n tappin'...

So my question:

How can I make a setup as I planned at the beginning? Laid out in text, it would be something like:

Generate Number between 1 and 0
If 1 --> enable light
If 1 --> make 0 after 3 frames
repeat...

Thank you for your help!

Greetz,
JayCox

tcastudios
02-25-2013, 06:52 PM
For that kind of effect (crowds in arenas typically)
I simply use TP emitting lights with no speed
and , in your case, particle life of 3 frames.
Simple and fast.

Cheers
Lennart

JayCox
02-25-2013, 07:06 PM
Now that is genius! Thank you! Gonna do that the next time I have to do this !

But would there be anyway to set up a little cup of expresso for this type of thing?

Greetz,
JayCox

CGTalk Moderation
02-25-2013, 07:06 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.