PDA

View Full Version : SGI Onix.. what to do with it?

milosp
12-13-2003, 08:51 PM
Hi,
I see here laying aroung a big black box with the label SGI Onix... what's this? hey...Don't laugh!
I could search for it on the net but I want the answer from someone who works with it? I was told that it "eats little children" and makes a lot of noise and that it cant work without clima, so thats why it's just gathering dust. What 3d software can run on it? MAX? (please say yes)

thanks

MadMax
12-14-2003, 02:35 AM
NO

Mostly useless now. Use it as a doorstop.

Jb5k1
12-14-2003, 03:55 AM
I went to sgi.com i think thats the address, and I clicked on workstations. What can be run on these systems, and are they strictly linux/unix systems?

MadMax
12-14-2003, 04:17 AM
There was a reason I said use it as a doorstop. No windows.

Jb5k1
12-14-2003, 04:44 AM
I'm going to dual boot my comp I've found some suse and mandrake iso's on the net

mandrake was cool, but I was running it through vmware, cause i wasn't sure how to dual boot at the time.

DaJuice
12-14-2003, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by milosp
Hi,
I see here laying aroung a big black box with the label SGI Onix... what's this? hey...Don't laugh!
I could search for it on the net but I want the answer from someone who works with it? I was told that it "eats little children" and makes a lot of noise and that it cant work without clima, so thats why it's just gathering dust. What 3d software can run on it? MAX? (please say yes)

thanks

Yes it's old, but it's not exactly a hunk of garbage. No, it will not run 3dmax because the machine runs IRIX (a nice OS), no Windows here. That's assuming of course that the machine will even boot. You didn't provide much info, like who owns it, is the machine in working condition, does it have a monitor/keyboard/mouse, etc.
To do 3d work on the machine you should ideally have IRIX 6.5 on it, because the newer 3d apps will not run on older versions like 6.4, or 6.3. As far as major 3d softs currently available for the platform, there is Houdini, Maya, Blender, and maybe XSI (didn't they discontinue their IRIX support?). Houdini has Apprentice, which is the free learning version. Then there's Maya. Unfortunatly you're out of luck unless you wanna buy Maya on IRIX, because Alias didn't see fit to make Maya PLE available to sgi users. Last, there is Blender, which is free. :)
Anyways, I really doubt you'd wanna do any cg on this beast. These things are supposed to be very noisy, run very hot, and as you can imagine just looking at it, consume a lot of electricity. So it's worth is pretty limited unless you're a fan of sgi gear.

MCronin
12-14-2003, 12:18 PM
Turn it into a mini-bar/refrigerator.

milosp
12-14-2003, 02:15 PM
It has 3 processors and 3 graphic cards, and everything else... it works, but it's too noisy and we dont have clima. Also its running on Irix 6.5.

I have AMD1700 with Ti4200... how is Onyx compared to my machine in running maya... is it worth going to SGI?
Really, what can I do with it, i have it in my school, nobody works on it, and maybe I could get a room with it... but what can I do with it?

DaJuice
12-14-2003, 03:56 PM
lol Michael.
milosp: cool, type hinv into a shell so you can see what speed the processors are, how much memory, and which graphics board is in there. I'm no expert but I think there is the older RealityEngine, and then there is InfiniteReality graphics. If it has InfiniteReality2 gfx, then you have a pretty nice machine right there. Should be very usable for moderate, maybe even heavy 3d work. Does it have a cd-rom drive or an internet connection? If you have some way to get data onto the machine I'd say give Houdini Apprentice a try...
http://www.vislab.usyd.edu.au/sidefx/cd1_6.1.208/hfs-6.1.208-irix.tar.gz

Go on, all the cool kids are using it. :cool:

3Dfx_Sage
12-14-2003, 05:18 PM
hey I'll pay for the shipping on it if you want to send it to me... :) I collect old hardware... yeah, I know, I'm wierd....

milosp
12-14-2003, 07:58 PM
now it's disconected, but I wes told that there are 3 processors on 200 something, and it has realityengine 2, but only 4G disc (some high voltage SCSI)...
I think I leave somebody else to experiment with it, I'll stick to max on my AMD

Thanks guys

MCronin
12-15-2003, 03:10 AM
The computer is almost worthless if it's the Onyx I think it is. If it's all black with a purple stripe , it's probably got 3 R4400's at 200 Mhz in it. It's a slow machine by today's standards, your desktop should whip it pretty good. It's geometry throughput should be around 3 million triangles per second. It's total processing power is like the equivalent of a cluster of 10 PSOnes. Someone paid something like 150-200,000 dollars for that machine just a few years ago. It was state of the art in 96. Quite sad how fast technology moves.

Maybe worthless is harsh, you might find a collector or enthusiast willing to pay a decent hunk of change for it. EBAY!

If you want to play with an SGI, you can get Octanes on Ebay very cheap. I bought one and so did Juice. they're still useful for light modeling work.

Pin_pal
12-15-2003, 03:56 AM
I used to work on an Onyx. Great machine for the time. I'd keep it. It's like a little piece of 3D history. Or I'll come pick it up :D

Thalaxis
12-15-2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by MadMax
There was a reason I said use it as a doorstop. No windows.

Well, they do have other uses... for example, some people have
turned theirs into refrigerators :)

dmeyer
12-15-2003, 08:42 PM
Use it as a space heater. :D

Marc Andreoli
12-15-2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Thalaxis
Well, they do have other uses... for example, some people have
turned theirs into refrigerators :)

The Silicon Graphics Refrigerator Project (http://home.planet.nl/~mourits/koelkast/)
:beer:

beaker
12-16-2003, 02:07 AM
I had an onyx up till a couple years ago when I sold off the pieces on ebay for around 2k (paid alot more than that in 1998 when I bought it).

Here is a good SGI onyx website. Lots of nice pictures and info on all the parts and pieces. If you have any questions that the page doesn't answer, try emailing the guy that runs the site (Simon). He has collected alot of info from the non existant info that SGI has put out there(so they could charge people lots of money to fix them).

http://www.gisparks.tas.gov.au/sgi/

They are still good for servers. They come with a SE and DF scsi with bays for up to 7 drives internally(I'm guessing you have a deskside, not a full size rack). Only thing is the amount of power they suck up is pretty huge and they can heat a room(I never had to turn on the heat at my apartment when I had that thing running in the middle of winter :) )

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.