PDA

View Full Version : Low Poly Character: Sheriff

DreiGrasheir
12-13-2003, 07:54 AM
here's another lowpoly victim character. same model as the other one, but tweaked. the texture on the model is 512x512, but you can see the full 1024 here. Full Res Texture (http://www.3dgstudios.com/images/sherrifTexFull.jpg)
created in: alias maya, photoshop
800 polygons
one 512x512 texture
model time: ~8 hours
texture time: ~10 hours

http://www.3dgstudios.com/images/sheriffDisplay.jpg

http://www.3dgstudios.com/images/sherrifTex.jpg

Supervlieg
12-13-2003, 05:43 PM
Its a good start, but you should tweak some things.

>>The contrast in the face texture is too high. Make it less contrasty

>>His upperlegs should be thinner.

>>He needs more shape in the back of his head.

>>If it is a secondary character you might wanna optimize him more.

Basically you need the same tweaks I mentioned you should do to the model you posted earlier.

BlackZ
12-13-2003, 08:57 PM
has a nice cartoony style. I like him :D

DreiGrasheir
12-15-2003, 04:55 AM
ugh.. see, the cartoony style is what im trying to avoid, but i dont know how to take that face and make it realistic. thats really the reason i posted this, but no one ever critiques the texture.

bar2sek
12-15-2003, 05:14 AM
He looks very Half-Life 1-ish, which isn't bad for low poly at all, but I would perhaps re-visit his crotch area, looks a lot like you bent a cylinder to make both his legs and left the crotch as-is. A little tweaking with the current verts should make that a lot more natural, and less polygonal looking. But texture look cool man.

DreiGrasheir
12-18-2003, 01:44 AM
update: upped the contrast on the skin, thinned out the legs, and made the shoes smaller. any more texture crits (or model ones) you have would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

http://www.3dgstudios.com/images/sheriff1.3.jpg

Buck
12-18-2003, 04:51 PM
i think he said less contrast in the face :)

i also think he should have more of a pink skin then a beige one.

DreiGrasheir
12-18-2003, 08:08 PM
well i didnt so much up the contrast as i did bring the greyscale map down. what you were seeing on the old one was values of about 10-30% grey in the light areas, and the dark areas of about 60-80% grey. there was too much 'grey area' (pun intended) between these values that werent being used, and therefore high contrast was visible making the dark parts seem not right. I lowered the light protions down to about 20-50% grey, in effect using a much more solid range instead of just highs and lows. that is less contrast, so i apologize... my comment was incorrect.

rob-beddall
12-18-2003, 08:59 PM
hey!!

why not try using a photo for the face if you are going for "real" style? you could always mod it in photoshop to get it to look the way you want. (make it look older etc)

as for the model. apart from what everyone else has already said i think he looks like he is wearing 70's glam rock platform shoes.

i would try making them a little thinner.

cheers!!

DreiGrasheir
12-18-2003, 10:51 PM
rob- photos aren'treally used in games when it comes to texturing, with some sports games and occasionally environments being the exception. I've found if im going for a realistic character, i will take front and sid pictures of myself or freinds, *unwrap* it, and use it as reference, but thats it. games seldom use characters based on real people, especially if the creature doesn't exist in this world :D the whole idea of this is to improve my texture skills so i can paint realistically, and qualify myself to get a job.

erik2003
12-18-2003, 11:08 PM
I think that your last comment might have been true two years ago but the real people and photos thing is really catching on. Lots of textures are collaged from photos nowadays. Even the faces.

DreiGrasheir
12-18-2003, 11:53 PM
erik- really? the reason i dont like to use them, is simply that putting a texture on a model tends to flush out a lot of the variations in colors. especially the wrinkles on his shirt and pants... though im sure with all the movie games out ltely it's used qute often. any examples of non-movie or sports games you can think of where they use pictures for the faces?

rob-beddall
12-19-2003, 01:05 PM
hey!!

i didn't mean use a photo straight off.
use it for reference. mod it so that it fits into the game environment. paint on top of it if you like. but starting from a photo means that it can't reallt go THAT wrong and it certainly wont look cartoony.

cheers!!

Poopinmymouth
12-19-2003, 02:21 PM
I think your headed in the right direction dreigrasheir. Learning to paint textures by hand is a valuable resource. Using photos for characters should only be used in times when you are trying to get a recognizeable likeness, or in times of severe crunch. the reason being, is that you as an artist want to be able to tackle any challenge your employer gives you, and if your only skills are photosourcing, what happens when it comes time to make a character that has no real world counterpart? Not only that, but I think well painted textures always have more life and vitality than a photo. right now my favorate part of your texture is the top of the hand. Its the most well realized portion. The rest looks way to dodge and burny. It really flattens out the texture and doesnt provide those great color variations that comes from painting with colors. It looks like you may have painted the ear with color, but the rest looks like doge and burn, not sure tho. Try tinting your highlight and shadow colors with complementary colors, that will help push the depth even further. the face looks like a good start, but Im not sure what you are trying to describe with those lines coming down from the chin. they are where the sternocliedomastoid should go, but travel in oposit direction, so im kind of confused.

DreiGrasheir
12-19-2003, 04:45 PM
rob- yeah, thats what i already use photos for. painting directly over reference is so much better than trying to eyeball it... and of course you can go and mod it later to turn into whatever creature you want.

erik- poop basically said what i had tried to get across about hand painted tex's being better looking, and also why i prefer them when it comes to a career standpoint. anyone can phot-chop some pics of somone's face.

poop- for skin i paint a d/b greyscale with luminocity blending option over a light flesh color, and then add another layer atop that with faint colors. I've been using very subtle purple and blue for the shadows, plus some red to add the skin color, but said colors dont work very well for highlights from my attempts. As for the things on the neck, they were supposed to be these veins that were protruding out of the neck of an old guy (whom i used for reference). Because of the weird way the neck's uv's map out, it ended looking horrible, so i was considering taking them out all together. I personally like the original face better, but people kept telling me it looked wrong... what do you think?

Poopinmymouth
12-19-2003, 05:33 PM
i guess the biggest thing lacking is volume, right now its painted pretty much with lines. Try rounding out the forms, so that it looks like a surface traveling from one direction to the other. Most noticeable is int lines under the eyes, and the lines going from the nose to the sides of the mouth.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.