PDA

View Full Version : ice - vertex world position

Roham
02-18-2013, 07:34 PM
Hi all,

How can we get vertex's world position if we have the vertex index?

Thanks,

ace63
02-18-2013, 07:48 PM
Use the select in Array node with the Pointposition as the input array

Roham
02-18-2013, 08:41 PM
Use the select in Array node with the Pointposition as the input array

Thanks Leo :wavey:

Another question:

How can I get data from one object and use those data to set data on other objects.

In my case I get this error:

context mismatch:
input context supported: per object or point of "cube.polymesh"
output context supported: per object or point of "sphere.polymesh"

ThE_JacO
02-18-2013, 09:32 PM
If the two objects are identical as far as mapping contexts go, IE: same topology in the case of geo, you can use the switch context node.
Otherwise you will have to establish the mapping differently, such as with a get closest location/point node (if they have different topologies, or even identical point counts and positions but differently ordered vertices).

I'm also moving this thread to the ICE subforum.

Roham
02-18-2013, 10:07 PM
If the two objects are identical as far as mapping contexts go, IE: same topology in the case of geo, you can use the switch context node.
Good to know this, thanks.

Otherwise you will have to establish the mapping differently, such as with a get closest location/point node.
Closet point node is good but what if we want to find a vertex world position on a sphere and move a cube to that position?

ThE_JacO
02-18-2013, 10:16 PM
So you have a specific vertex you want to consider?
Why not use a cluster to filter it then if you need human intervention (which you will to identify the specific vertex), so you can set the kine of an object to the filtered pointpositions for the other.

Not that I would do that in ICE to be honest, a cluster constrain would probably be better in most cases, unless you're just finding yourself exercises to familiarize with ICE basics such as contexts, types, and moving between them.

Roham
02-19-2013, 07:51 AM
unless you're just finding yourself exercises to familiarize with ICE basics such as contexts, types, and moving between them.
Yes, it's definitely the case. As an exercise I wanted to create a rivet like constraint by creating a transform matrix from 3 vertices.

CGTalk Moderation
02-19-2013, 07:51 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.