PDA

View Full Version : Mech: Battle

DMBadCat
12-13-2003, 04:40 AM
I'm new here... if I miss any rules or traditions or regulations, lemme know...

(this was made with blender)
http://www.dmbadcat.dyndns.org/bot14.jpg
A mechwarrior that was made and critiqued on www.elysiun.com
thanks to their support and suggestions, I was able to come this far.

I am 14, and kind of new to blender, but I hope that you guys like my work-

crimson13
12-13-2003, 08:30 AM
welcome to cgtalk, fellow Blenderer ;)
the design and modelling look great, but the materials could use quite some work in order to make a fantastic render (I know, I kinda hate textuing too); maybe give the raytraced blender a try for this baby to give him a real metal look and feel?

Frank Dodd
12-13-2003, 04:23 PM
A standard mech design but executed with great detail. I agree the texture could do with a rethink and also this character really could do with being set into a scene to show it off (like a desert with missile strikes raining down) and grab some attention.

The modelling has obviously had a lot of attention put into it and has turned out very nicely, Well done.

Gnome
12-13-2003, 07:33 PM
Ahh the trials of the bump-map. I suggest turning your settings down to make the bumps more subtle. Anything over a slight variation, wrinkle or disturbance, looks choppy and fake. For large bolts and rivets, there is no substiture for real geo.

Keep it up!

DMBadCat
12-13-2003, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by crimson13
maybe give the raytraced blender a try for this baby to give him a real metal look and feel? how would I come about a "ratraced" blender? they have one?

hmm, well thank you for your kind comments and critiques... maybe I do have more to put into my mech :D when I find time...:bounce:

crimson13
12-13-2003, 09:20 PM
how would I come about a "ratraced" blender? they have one? hehe, just follow this topic on elysiun ;)
http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18536
It's a new unofficial feature that one of the coders implemented. Seems to generate a lot of positive feedback. Currently supported are reflection and raytraced shadows and I must say: the results look great.

Plays_4_Pants
12-13-2003, 11:08 PM
Lesson learned - don't ever bump map screws

DMBadCat
12-14-2003, 12:34 AM
http://www.dmbadcat.dyndns.org/mechrefl.jpg

cool :)

I'll work on attaching millions of rivits when I get the chance :buttrock:

3Dfx_Sage
12-14-2003, 01:39 AM
geebus, you're only 14? why do I even try to learn this crap at my age. Fantastic job of making the standard mech idea into an anything-but-standard model. Great work.

DarkHydra
12-14-2003, 05:03 AM
Nice model, glad to see more Blender users posting here too. My suggestions have to do with the textures as well. Metal on these shouldn't be chome but a more dull looking material, perferably with battle damage.

DMBadCat
12-14-2003, 03:42 PM
I know, I just wanted to try a new feature right off the bat :drool:

it is really nice to have reflections in blender now:cool:
I will at some point in my life make an entire battle scene, maybe 30 minutes long... but that'll be when I find a LOT of time:hmm:

shaftoe
12-18-2003, 03:23 PM
I love Blender.
Good model..Fantastic to be done by a 14 yr old.
One Crit...the Girder Structure, between the 2 rocket launchers, seems to dissapper into some kind of smooth tank.

Keep up the good work.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.