PDA

View Full Version : character: underwater infantry

oracrest
12-13-2003, 03:17 AM
here is a WIP of a character/vehicle that I am currently working on for an independant game. For the last few months, I have been doing mostly ships, so it has been fun to work on this guy. I can't wait to start working on the texture for him. Comments and Crist are welcome. The concept art was done by Sammy Hall.

http://www.modelforge.com/fathom/heavyscout12.jpg

http://www.securevirtualpages.com/~sammyha/fathom/humans/lightscout/lightscoutfinal1.jpg

LoTekK
12-13-2003, 04:55 AM
That's incredible. I love the concept, and your model stays very true to the design. Could you show a wire? I'd love to see future progress on this. :)

Ogi
12-13-2003, 02:47 PM
damn thats cool :) And i agree thats a very interesting concept.
can see before me hundreds of underwater warriors to just crush their enemy :) Cant wait to se the textured one :D
Keep upp the good work :D

Mormegil
12-13-2003, 03:36 PM
wow ... thats a super model ... wonderfull

oracrest
12-13-2003, 04:27 PM
here is a wire of my progress so far.

http://www.modelforge.com/fathom/heavyscout13.jpg

spm
12-13-2003, 04:46 PM
should have a jet engine on the back instead of those feet...

DOOMNINJA
12-13-2003, 06:46 PM
Is this like a power armour suit, or an actuall bipedal vehicle?

Just saying, because if it was ment to be power armour, the extremities for the arms are to far back for where the torso and head are supposed to be. I would suggest bringing the arms forward and down a little bit, or better yet, just make the glass portion extend so its between the shoulders, where his head should be.

If its the other way around, and the pilot's arms are in the center section with the rest of his body manipulatiing the controlls, then It would make a bit more sence.

Great modeling so far though, thats for sure. Very close to the concept. Speaking of which, Sammy Hall is insane.

That is all.

-Doom

hanzo
12-13-2003, 09:12 PM
excellent stuff you got there, I love the model, and the work you have on site. your texturing painting ability is what I think will get you hired good work and keep it up... ;)

PS: will you use alpha on the glass or is there not a head under that cap?...

h0pesfall
12-13-2003, 10:51 PM
Very nice and clean mesh you got there buddy. I'm interested to see how you'll use smoothing groups.

SecretAgent
12-14-2003, 02:26 AM
I like this a lot Oracrest, both the concept and your model look great so far. I particularly love the flippers for his feet.

misterboogie
12-14-2003, 07:19 PM
I love it! This model has so much potential! Very good modeling skillz! Are you going to texture it?

oracrest
12-14-2003, 09:48 PM
wow, i dont think ive gotten this much positive feedback before, thanks guys. I guess i should thank sam the most for hooking me up with a killer concept to work from. I haven' changed too much with this update, just added the head inside the helmet. It's a little further in than in the concept, to try to make it feel as anatomically correct as possible. Let me know what you guys think. I usually dont add smoothing groups until the model is done, I don't know why, but i like to see all the geomoetry while im working on it. As soon as I get the model done, I plan to jump straight into texturing him.

http://www.modelforge.com/fathom/heavyscout20.jpg

h0pesfall
12-15-2003, 01:51 AM
Nice work. However the neck seems a bit long, you'd have to model the shoulders and part of the chest some I guess. BTW what's the polycount? It seems pretty poly efficient. Oh, and are you gonna add the same details on the head as in the concept?

oracrest
12-22-2003, 02:48 AM
I started on the texture. I hope you guys like how it is coming. Any comments or crits are very appreciated. I am still new to texturing, so if it looks like im doing something wrong, skipping a step, or something like that, please let me know. This is still a WIP

http://www.modelforge.com/fathom/heavyscout46.jpg

JDinges
12-22-2003, 04:29 AM
is he self illuminated?

lookin good.

Man
12-22-2003, 04:32 AM
really cool :)

twindragon
12-22-2003, 05:29 AM
I think the flipper feet things could be a different color....maybe its because I am so used to seeing scooba divers with black flippers...maybe make them grey like the mid section... I tend to want to balance color groups out...example the head at the moment is grey so The opposite end could be grey too or maybe the whole flipper doesn't have to be grey but something in it like that dark ochre detail could be grey. Good work BTW

oracrest
12-31-2003, 04:38 AM
worked on a little bit of the wearing. havent had much time to work on him because of the holidays, but i will now : )

http://www.modelforge.com/fathom/heavyscout50.jpg

SecretAgent
01-02-2004, 02:54 AM
it's great Ora (though I already told you that, heh)!

My only crit is that I think it could use some color variation in the shading. Try using deep blues and purples in that shading instead of just black (black tends flattens out the image). A little colour variation (even a very very subtle amount) will really make the character/image more pronounced and interesting.

(By they way, I forgot to mention that your avatar rocks! "My the way of the hero lead to the Tri-Force")

oracrest
01-06-2004, 07:43 AM
I went in and did a bunch of tweaks that hopefully will let this guy have a less cartoony look. Let me know what you think.

http://www.modelforge.com/fathom/heavyscout53.jpg

Akildee
01-06-2004, 01:53 PM
If you want your stuff to look less cartoony, right away you should bring down the overall saturation of the colors. You'll find that most things in real life have a very low saturation level if you took a plain photograph of it. After that, it just a matter of working the texture a little bit more and dirtying up his suit. I really like your model though. Is it your concept?

akil

cris castro
01-06-2004, 02:49 PM
pretty cool design, how do you do this wire render?

KazuyaMochu
01-06-2004, 03:58 PM
his arms seem a bit of place. like his shoulder would be to high...

the legs are ok, but a bit apart.

other than that, the model is great and the texture is coming along very well!

cheers

Kazuya Mochu

Beaneh
01-06-2004, 04:43 PM
I think it's looking great. I love the textures. (be sure to post flats when your done ;))
Kazuya Mochu, it's been a long time.. where have you been?

oracrest
01-06-2004, 10:56 PM
thanks for all of your feedback guys. Everyone's help on the post is one of my biggest resources, cause you tell it like it is!

cris - the wire render is really easy. once you have your UV's laid out (if not, automatic mapping will work too). Take a snapshot of your UV's, then bring that into photoshop, and reverse the black and white. save, and use that image as your texture. I like doing it this way because you dont have to see the wires behind the character which usually clutters everything and makes a big mess.

Akildee - this isnt my concept, it is a friend of mine, Sammy Hall, who did this one, pretty cool huh? I am just doing the model and texture.

As far as any crits about the correct anatomy of the character, this was an issue from early on, but we decided to go with the somewhat exagerated form. the head is small, too far forward from the shoulders, and a million other things, but we felt that in game it would be identifiable enough (if you have seen the starcraft designs, those have many of the same anatomy issues. hey if blizzard pulled it off, we hope we can too!)

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.