PDA

View Full Version : >>Level/Environment help???

SecretAgent
12-12-2003, 10:11 PM
Hi guys, I just got a test today to create a 2 story building (realistic) and also a sci-fi room interior and I need a little help.

I don't completely understand how textures are made for buildings and environments.

--When you create textures for an Environment, is everything supposed to be made tileable/repeatable or is it a mixture of mapping some objects seperately (windows and doors for instance)?

Please, I really need some help w/understanding the proper procedures and I know a lot of you guys have great knowledge and experience on this subject. Thanks in advance.

mtmckinley
12-12-2003, 10:35 PM
I would say it's a combination of both tilable maps as well as textures that are for specific sections. Also, textures that can be reused but in different positions for a varied look.

It all depends on the subject matter. A cavern environment can get away with a lot more than, say, a doctor's office when it comes to tiling and repurposing.

Dargon
12-12-2003, 11:29 PM
It's all about being clever with the restrictions you have.

I do a lot of environment stuff with my job, organic and man-made environs. The trick seems to be to use tileable textures with spot textures, but with a subtle point added.

If you are given, say 8 64X64s for a house in the countryside, you first figure out what would be the least amount of textures you could get away with for the tileable parts.

So for that example, I'd have a tileable for the shingles, the brick, and the siding, respectively. 3 down.

You could probably make a door texture that was a tile as well, either twice, (left and right the same) or 4 times. (mirrored across and vertically)

Do the same for a window texture - try to find a way to tile or reuse the texture, so that you get the maximum amount of pixels you can on the geometry.

You've easily used up 5, perhaps we could tack up one more for wood trim. With the last texture, put on all the details on it, but still try to keep to the tiling rule.

Doorknob? put it in the corner, and map the geometry in 4 parts. Mailbox? Each side will have the same texture, and the post will use the wood trim one. You could likely fit all the detail textures you need on one sheet.

SecretAgent
12-13-2003, 01:48 AM
Thanks guys, I think I'm starting to understand a little more - I only wish there was as much info about levels and environments as there was for characters in games.

spm
12-13-2003, 10:51 AM
ultimately a level is made by modules. the drawback is that it can get really repetitive if you dont pay good attention to it.

if youre about to make a ww2 scene for example the best way is to biuld a "lot" of houses, individually textured, and then distribute them like in call of duty. then you make props for the level in the same manner. walls, bricks lying around, logs, debree etc. everything using the same texture... which you dont think about when playing the game if the modules are distributed properly.

you also have to remember not to push a mesh through another just because its faster and not so tidious to work with. this is not a good thing for the gaming platform. it still has to calculate the polygons created by the intersection between the meshes. also it might create other errors graphic-wise at the intersection.

EDIT: for more information about any game related artistic information, check out www.gamasutra.com. there youll find top of the line articles and advice from the industrys best.

TheWriter
12-14-2003, 02:30 AM
Well, dont forget the whole shadowmap issue. Never underestimate shadows!

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.