PDA

View Full Version : help needed on eyes (blinking)

d0c
12-12-2003, 08:33 PM
i'm attemping to rig this character really simple face rig .. blend shapes , bone opening jaw .. but my problem is making him blink i'm not sure which method to use i want to try to use bones to make him blink but i'm not sure how to lay them out around the eyes.. ..

any ideas or tutorials u can refer me to would be great ..

i attached an image of my character

Picture Of Character (http://www3.sympatico.ca/vivet/dave2.jpg)

nottoshabi
12-13-2003, 12:42 AM
I sugest doing a closed eye blend shape.

:wavey:

d0c
12-13-2003, 12:46 AM
arent blendshapes linear movement? wouldnt that result in the eyelids going through the eyeball ..

he has really big eyes as u see in the picture ..

but i will give that one a try..

thx

GrafOrlok
12-13-2003, 06:14 AM
I always prefer the blend shape method, but this time I actually think putting two joints in the center of each eyeball would do the trick.

You could probably use a sculpt deformer to bulge the eyelid out when the blend shape is working, but It's a trickier method.

YankyBJeans
12-13-2003, 08:14 AM
I think I have a solution for you.

when you smooth bind your character (and I assume youre using a smooth bind), create a couple curves per eyelid by snapping the curve points to the mesh of the lid as you make it (drawing the curve from the corner of the lid to the opposite corner). then turn the curve into an influence object. this will allow you to then rotate the curve and have the lid follow. you will have to paint the weights for it but I have had excellent results with this method and it works way better than blendshapes, for me anyways.

I used 2 curves for my lid: one on the edge and one a couple edgeloops up so that i had control of both the edge of the eyelid and the middle of it. The middle curve can be pulled out to prevent the lid from intersecting the eyeball. Make sure you have "use components" turned on too if you want to make clusters out of the curve points for individual control in specific areas.

Yanky

d0c
12-13-2003, 03:30 PM
oh snap .. u know what .. i tried the bones method last time and i seemed to work very well .. but this idea about the curves seemes even better .. more controll witch is what i want.. and i can make clusters out of the points and use SDK .. damn! ..

thx man .. i'll keep you posted on how it turns out

yes its smoothbind i'm using ..

Originally posted by YankyBJeans
I think I have a solution for you.

when you smooth bind your character (and I assume youre using a smooth bind), create a couple curves per eyelid by snapping the curve points to the mesh of the lid as you make it (drawing the curve from the corner of the lid to the opposite corner). then turn the curve into an influence object. this will allow you to then rotate the curve and have the lid follow. you will have to paint the weights for it but I have had excellent results with this method and it works way better than blendshapes, for me anyways.

I used 2 curves for my lid: one on the edge and one a couple edgeloops up so that i had control of both the edge of the eyelid and the middle of it. The middle curve can be pulled out to prevent the lid from intersecting the eyeball. Make sure you have "use components" turned on too if you want to make clusters out of the curve points for individual control in specific areas.

Yanky :bounce: :bounce: :rolleyes:

Robken
12-18-2003, 10:44 AM
as far as I can see, the eye lids are just spheres cut in half right?

well if that's the case you can just create 2 locators for the pupils to respond to, and create a new attribute in that locator called "eyeclosed" or something. then just assign a driven key on 0 with the eyelids open, and a driven key on 10 with the eyelids closed.

that way you simply have a slider controlling the eyelids..

I wouldn't know about a bone solution though :s

fattkid
12-20-2003, 03:37 AM
Looks like you already got the situation under control, but FYI, there is an option for blendshapes called "inbetween", where you can use several blendshape targets in one blend shape. You could have eye Open target, Eye 1/3 closed target, Eye 2/3 closed target, and Eye shut target. Selecting them in order and then your model and creating a blend (with inbetween checked) will create a blendshape that will interpolate through all the shapes.

d0c
12-20-2003, 04:02 AM
Originally posted by fattkid
Looks like you already got the situation under control, but FYI, there is an option for blendshapes called "inbetween", where you can use several blendshape targets in one blend shape. You could have eye Open target, Eye 1/3 closed target, Eye 2/3 closed target, and Eye shut target. Selecting them in order and then your model and creating a blend (with inbetween checked) will create a blendshape that will interpolate through all the shapes.

i had no idea about that option .. i will look into it .. the other idea works great .. only one problem with it . ... that i'm not sure how to fix .. i want my low poly mesh to update my high res mesh so i can animate with the low res. .. i used an influence curve for my eye brow blendshapes (clusters, setdriven key) i used the connection editor to connect my outmesh of the low poly to the in mesh of the high res model .. but when i try to connect the influence curve of the low res to the influence curve of the high res . then it doesnt work the blendshapes stop working all together now .. everything fails.. i'm not sure if this is the best option .. i'm open to any other ideas ..

thx again ..

YankyBJeans
12-24-2003, 01:41 PM
im not much good at using the connection editor to connect stuff but should you have to have two influence curves?
if you connect one mesh to the other, wont the high one update when the low one does?

I used smooth proxy for mine and only the low mesh gets a skeleton and deformers and whatnot. perhaps you could use smooth proxy on your project? or make a test object with an influence curve, use smooth proxy and then check out how its connections are made and duplicate them for your project.

hope this helps some

Yanky

oh and great tip by fattkid on the blendshapes. i had forgotten about that option

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.