PDA

View Full Version : Still: The Old Sleeper

Finkster
12-12-2003, 09:29 PM
Hi there. Here's something I've just finished after working on and off for quite a while. Started as a character doodle and developed into a more complete piece. He's an old drinker who's run out of partners.
Comments are appreciated as always. Cheers.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/cmoloney/Projects/Gramps/Final/Sleepy.JPG

Made with Lightwave, Wings and lots of post work.

Biped
12-12-2003, 09:41 PM
Looks quite good ! good enviroment and texture job :beer:

MatrixNAN
12-12-2003, 09:47 PM
Wow I mean I was looking all over this image trying to find even a suggestion and the only thing I could come up with is some very faint and light caustics on the table and from the glass. Though you might not even want to do that. Beautiful work. Love it this defantly deserves to be on the front page.

Cheers,
Nate Nesler :beer: :applause: :bowdown:

Finkster
12-12-2003, 09:50 PM
Thanks for the quick comments!

Here's a crop I think I prefer:

http://members.lycos.co.uk/cmoloney/Projects/Gramps/Final/sleepy_crop.JPG

Cheers.

Ripper^^
12-12-2003, 09:52 PM
wow that's verry nice!!! grate job :drool:

MatrixNAN
12-12-2003, 10:44 PM
No I like it before you cropped it. I think it adds atmosphere and feeling when I see the coat in there.

Cheers,
Nate Nesler

Finkster
12-15-2003, 04:31 PM
Thanks Ripper!

Yep I think I'll stick with the first uncropped one.

Cheers.

nobrain
12-15-2003, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by MatrixNAN
very faint and light caustics on the table and from the glass. .

Caustics no, raytraced shadows yes, sorry to be techie about it but I don't see the implementation of caustics anywhere.

I-NetGraFX
12-15-2003, 10:37 PM
The smoke, the velvet, the .. I like this pic :applause:

I've tried something else ...
Now everything appears a bit older

http://inetgrafx.at/SLEEPY.jpg

Finkster
12-18-2003, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by I-NetGraFX
The smoke, the velvet, the .. I like this pic :applause:

I've tried something else ...
Now everything appears a bit older

Hey, man. I like the sepia tones, it looks really good. Of course I couldn't do that myself after having spent so long painting coloured textures! But the idea is great anyway,
Thanks

Nobrain : I think he was suggesting I make use of caustics, he wasn't pointing them out. Besides, I think caustics would be a bit of an overkill. The glasses aren't in much direct illumination anyway so it probably wouldn't happen. But you're right, there are ray-traced shadows.:D

Crocodilian
12-27-2003, 04:50 AM
the sunlight is _very_ intense and "Californian" in quality. Not sure if that's what you were going for explicitly -- the contrast of the bright day outside and the darkened pub.

Note the very sharp shadows from the writing on the glass. . .these suggests direct sunlight with very little cloud diffusing. . .not characteristic of Eire or Boston. . .much more Las Vegas or LA

You'd create a very different implicit "story" by dialing down outside light

hamilton3d
02-27-2004, 06:48 AM
absolutely love the image and especially love the idea behind the image!

an old drinker who's run out of partners.

something seems a bit off about the hands, or at least the fingers and the thing he is smoking.....cigar? cigarette? both seem a bit "fat" or ill proportioned....

the image is wonderful overall!

Freakychakra
02-27-2004, 05:00 PM
I like this picture, it has a lot of character.

Freakychakra

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.