PDA

View Full Version : USATODAY: PSX review

RobertoOrtiz
12-12-2003, 08:23 PM
Quote:
"Sony's PSX, touted as a crossover between a video game console and consumer electronics gadget, is trying to be too many things at once and falls far short of expectations, analysts say.

The PSX, seen by The Associated Press ahead of its launch Saturday in Japan, sounds like a good deal. It combines a DVD recorder, analog TV tuner, CD player with music file and digital photo album, and the PlayStation 2 game console in one sleek box.

The machine, planned for overseas sale next year, costs 99,800 yen ($920) for the 250-gigabyte hard disk version, which can record about 25 movies. The 160-gigabyte version costs 79,800 yen ($740).

But the deal begins to sounds less attractive if you are one of the nearly 63 million people in the world who already own a PlayStation 2.

If you've already bought PS2 or have never wanted to own one then a regular DVD recorder could be a better option. Standard DVD players tend to have better features than the PSX, but can be bought for around the same price. And there's plenty of competition including from Sony itself.

Unfortunately, Sony had to downgrade certain promised PSX features at the last minute. "

>>link<< (http://www.usatoday.com/tech/techreviews/products/2003-12-12-psx-debut_x.htm)

-R

barto9
12-12-2003, 11:08 PM
i would never spend that much money on a gaming system that you can get for around $170, and a dvd burner that you could get for your pc for around $200. every one that wants a ps2 probly already has one :rolleyes:

halo
12-13-2003, 12:10 PM
to be honest that is a pretty piss poor review....it doesnt even mention in any detail the Tivo like capability. Doesnt mention audio specs...memory stick support....?

Standard DVD players tend to have better features than the PSX Like? explain....?

Sounds like they just talked to some bloke in a pub. They dont like it for some reason. Sorry, im not going to rely on an american review to tell me what looks tasteful and what looks boring either, im capable of making that decision myself, having a brain and eyes and all.

Shame about the 2x DVD-R, and lack of MP3 support, thats a bit of a pain. Price wise its on par considering other hard drive based systems are around that price and offer a smaller hard drive. I'm hoping that Sony wont cripple this with their myopia surrounding their own proprietry formats.

WhiteRabbitObj
12-13-2003, 01:58 PM
Wasn't the original Playstation referred to as the PSX? I thought this thread was some sort of goof up review from 8 years ago when I clicked on it. Very odd.

NUKE-CG
12-13-2003, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by WhiteRabbit.obj
Wasn't the original Playstation referred to as the PSX? I thought this thread was some sort of goof up review from 8 years ago when I clicked on it. Very odd.

I was just thinking that exact thing.. talk about confusing.

heavyness
12-13-2003, 05:06 PM
the online comunity dubbed it the PSX. i think Sony called the PSX before i was released, buy never officially went with the name.

katakana
12-13-2003, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by halo

Sounds like they just talked to some bloke in a pub. They dont like it for some reason. Sorry, im not going to rely on an american review to tell me what looks tasteful and what looks boring either, im capable of making that decision myself, having a brain and eyes and all.

Always good to make your own desisions, but i will tell you that the reviews arn't too shinning over here either. I'm going to akihabara later today/tomarrow. I'll post my impressions after.

slaughters
12-13-2003, 10:39 PM
...Sorry, im not going to rely on an american review to tell me what looks tasteful and what looks boring ... *SIGH* I don't know why this jumped out at me. I guess I have just gotten tired of "America Bashing". Let's see how everyone would have reacted if the following had said:

"Sorry, I'm not going to rely on a *Japanese* review to tell me what looks tasteful..."

"Sorry, I'm not going to rely on a *Canadian* review to tell me what looks tasteful..."

"Sorry, I'm not going to rely on a *English* review to tell me what looks tasteful..."

etc...

But, because it was said about America, everyone just let the comment pass by.

halo
12-14-2003, 11:13 AM
probably because i personally i dont like the majority of american design or think it extends or reaches out beyond its continent very well, therefore i wont rely on its often myopic design opinions and ethos. I dont think its known for its quality, its integrity or asthetics, and im struggling to think of many things today that america designs that looks 1/2 decent. Thats why i made that comment. Yes its a stereotypical opinion, but it is founded on an interest in design rather than jumping on a bandwagon.

halo
12-14-2003, 11:19 AM
i also think a large % of japanese design is crap as well, however when they put their mind to it they can often deliver. The PS2 is horrible and a bad piece of design. A lot of Japanese design suffers from gratuitous use of LED's, normally the cheap stuff, but on occaision the far east can knock out a nice piece of design. But i dont often see such a shallow review go to the bother of trying to tackle a deep subject on such dodgy home ground.

Vushvush
12-14-2003, 04:52 PM
Don't look to USAToday for your videogame hardware reviews. Of course it'll be the most generic, simplistic, and innacurate review for those who don't know much about this stuff.

halo, are you for real? hahahaha

halo
12-14-2003, 06:08 PM
yep :D

slaughters
12-14-2003, 10:05 PM
Hmm...

Lackluster review by USAToday of a mediocre electronic device leads to cussing and swearing at American and Japaneese designs.

Intersting chip you have on your shoulder there halo.

halo
12-14-2003, 10:50 PM
no chip...just think that its a cheap shot...there is a lot of crap design, especially in mass consumer markets, but thats not the way to go about it, making a subjective comment and not even making a comparison or backing it up with examples of non boring design...the review raised the point of design, not me...to say that the design is boring from a market that struggles to make design statements translate or even exist outside its own continent seems a little ironic to me.

If it was a german site talking about poor engineering, or a japanese site talking about poor miniaturisation or...well i think you get the point now, surely?

Anyway as we've established, its a poor review.

How was it recieved amongst the home entertainment crowd (not the gaming crowd, where the point of the device seems a little lost) in japan?

BoydLake
12-15-2003, 08:48 PM
Ever since it was announced that Sony was adding all the crossover features it looked to me like they were using their Playstation product to try and hedge against the huge losses in their consumer electronics and Sony Music divisions. I've always thought that was a bad idea. It looks like the door for Xbox to swallow up even more of the market may be opening up. Could get interesting..... ;)

halo
12-15-2003, 10:33 PM
i think a lot of people have misaligned this product around a games station rather than seeing it from the home AV market for which its more intended. They havent spent time making an AV match the ps2, they have made it to match the PSX. Think of it like a Tivo, DVD player and recorder, mp3 station (although at the moment its only sonys flavour) with broadband access. It sits right in the middle between the xbox and more expensive hard drive equipped DVD-R's. The playstation side of it is a feature rather than its raison d'etre.

Expect more products like this in the future. Xbox 2 may move towards this, but it will probably be xbox3 and ps4 before all the planets are aligned to make this technology really take off. At the moment its just a step to engage the home AV market, rather than trying to sell a home AV to jonny game player or trying to sell a console + features to jonny AV buyer.

katakana
12-17-2003, 02:04 AM
Ok, I went to AsoBit City (http://www.laox.co.jp/laox/store.jsp?store_id=280) yesterday, although there were no playable units, there were nonplayables everywhere. Since I didnt get to play with it, Ill only comment on its apperance. Its a little bit bigger then a VCR and a little bit smaller then an Xbox which is a bad move since the inital japanese reaction to the xbox was about its size. Its pretty but it basicly just a silvery box. Over all I'd say its not as good looking as a ps2, but better looking then an Xbox.

Once there are playable units, I'll post more details.

katakana
12-31-2003, 08:50 AM
For anyone who cares heres some pics including internalshttp://liksang.com/news.php?artc=3244

chadtheartist
12-31-2003, 12:33 PM
probably because i personally i dont like the majority of american design or think it extends or reaches out beyond its continent very well, therefore i wont rely on its often myopic design opinions and ethos. I dont think its known for its quality, its integrity or asthetics, and im struggling to think of many things today that america designs that looks 1/2 decent. Thats why i made that comment. Yes its a stereotypical opinion, but it is founded on an interest in design rather than jumping on a bandwagon.

You do realize is a very, very broad statement you are making? You've lumped all of America's design as being bad, and I tend to disagree.

I will point out one company that is probably the forefront of design for electronics. Apple. Even if you don't like they're hardware, they make some great designed hardware.

But honestly, you can't really compare two different types of culture's anyway. I'm not saying Japanese design is bad, it's just different. Take a look at one of their magazines... any magazine, and you will see a hodgepodge of art, text, graphics and all sorts of stuff that follows no Western known layout or design. Is it bad design? Not in Japan. Is it bad design if a US company tried that? Yup.

You're entitled to your opinion, and I can see a bit were you are coming from. But to generalize an entire nation full of all sorts of designs just seems to be a bit ignorant.

Neil
12-31-2003, 12:39 PM
Guys/gals please just move on.
The thread is getting highjacked by some ignorant statements.

Let's bring it back on topic.

halo
12-31-2003, 04:15 PM
i havent heard anymore about this...anyone got any news?

(PS, just to nitpick....apples product designer is British, and he has complete product design control working with an extremely small team of just himself or 2-3 people)

halo
12-31-2003, 04:21 PM
found sony's PR here

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/200310/03-1007E/

but its very basic, no word on audio output or scart setups...

halo
12-31-2003, 04:28 PM
http://24hour.startribune.com/24hour/technology/story/1091710p-7627476c.html

another review...seemingly cribbed...again, not entirely accurate and seemingly biased on the negative without even comparison.

Just as a comparison, Panasonics, Pioneer's and other manufacturers make DVD recorders without EPG's with smaller hard drives that are either the same price or more expensive + they dont do music...seems that fact is escaping these reviewers...

halo
12-31-2003, 04:35 PM
the beeb has some more info

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3293599.stm

its not looking like it will play CD-R's :(

and no aerial passthru or any mention of DTS/5.1 support or scart details...

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.