PDA

View Full Version : Digital Painting: City at Night

mcurtin
12-12-2003, 06:23 PM
This is my first jump into photoshop painting. I'm focusing on light and mood. Think Blade Runner. It's still very much a work in progress, but I'm hoping to hear some opinions on how it's shaping up alltogether. Also any good tips on lighting, perspective, environmental effects, color theory ect. I'm going to post updates as often as I can.
Much appreciated!
- Michael
www.staff.uiuc.edu/~mcurtin/HTML
https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/mcurtin/shared/Clouds.jpg

amo_77
12-12-2003, 11:10 PM
mcurtin,

I like the style you're pursuing here. You've definitely captured a mood. I love the wet reflections on the left rooftop and the hazy atmosphere.

The building on the right troubles me a bit. First, the image in the billboard/screen seems at odds with the rest of the painting. I know an image there wouldn't necessarily fit the background, but I think it detracts from the overall feel. Maybe it's a bit too warm... or maybe it's too detailed vs. the broad strokes of the surroundings. Draws too much focus. The red sign is VERY red, but is offset by the red in the lamps on the other side, so I don't think it's as distracting.

The reflections in the building on the right are disorienting. You've changed the clarity, but I think you may want to alter the color tone of the reflections as well, to separate them from the rest of the sky.

Just some thoughts. I'm not much of a digital painter, but I thought I'd chime in.

Good luck!

Amo

Rei Ayanami
12-13-2003, 12:56 AM
The reason teh sign and billboard on the right look wrong is because the perspective is incorrect. You should be able to draw a straight line along the edges of all of them and they will meet at a single point, called the vanashing point. If you do this for your painting, they do not all go to the same point. If you re-draw them with a set vanishing point first, it should make the image look more 'right'.

The same is true of the clouds, the bottom of them should be much 'thinner' and less should be visable. this should help bring the image together, you can then use the vanishing point as a focus for the peice.

The Deej
12-31-2003, 05:02 AM
i like that idea

would you adjust the billboard side or the left side building?

i was wondering about the distortion on the billboard, being that you are so close to the billboard.

rbfeik
12-31-2003, 07:20 AM
1. the 'spotlights'? - BTW what are they? - appear to be over the roof so the light should show as ovals on the roof at least an oval hightlight

2 - the red text is it in front of the mirror? I think we see too much of the bottom of it and shouldn't it reflect some of the green color

3. the clouds are too stylised compared to the rest of the picture. which is fairly realistic.

if you haven't already you should check out the art of Charles Sheeler & Joseph Stella

mcurtin
12-31-2003, 04:46 PM
Heres an update on the image; the building on the right hand side is still an issue. I've fixed the perspective, but it only exhists as a excuse to create billboards, which is really fun. Any suggestions on a better solution?
Thanks,
Michael
https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/mcurtin/shared/Clouds2.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.