PDA

View Full Version : University

Stefanlp
02-11-2013, 07:24 PM
Hi my name is Stefan and I am a senior in high school and need to choose my field of study soon.
I want to work in the 3D industry, however I have heard that degrees in 3D design
are not really a must nor are they especially good.
I am aware that most of the professional members here come from other degrees and advice others to choose other degrees as their main ones.
My question is if I can choose a degree such as Psychology and still be able to work in the 3d industry, or must the degree be computer related?
And will countries such as the USA and Canada give me a work visa even though my field of study will differ from what i intend to work as?

leigh
02-11-2013, 08:04 PM
And will countries such as the USA and Canada give me a work visa even though my field of study will differ from what i intend to work as?

I'm not sure about Canada but with the US your degree must be related to the field you're seeking work in. However, that doesn't mean your degree has to be in 3D; you could have a degree in any visual art field or even computer science, and that would be fine, because they're related to the industry.

Stefanlp
02-11-2013, 08:32 PM
I'm not sure about Canada but with the US your degree must be related to the field you're seeking work in. However, that doesn't mean your degree has to be in 3D; you could have a degree in any visual art field or even computer science, and that would be fine, because they're related to the industry.

And what about improving my skills while at university,
did you guys use your free time time to do tutorials or did you go to a course?

DaPerPT
02-11-2013, 08:44 PM
You might as well do a 3D degree in a University. Or get programming, fine arts degree.
I don't think that, if you want to pursue a 3D career, going to a psychology degree and doing 3D tutorials in your spare time is your best option.

Stefanlp
02-11-2013, 11:41 PM
You might as well do a 3D degree in a University. Or get programming, fine arts degree.
I don't think that, if you want to pursue a 3D career, going to a psychology degree and doing 3D tutorials in your spare time is your best option.

Well yes but programming is hardly any way to improve my 3D skills,
so I am asking how can you hone your skills while going through a different subject at University.
I really have no idea what to choose or how that will help me.

DaPerPT
02-12-2013, 12:21 AM
Programming/Computer Science is certainly related to this industry in scripting, rigging and other technical aspects.

I am asking how can you hone your skills while going through a different subject at University.

Why do you need to go through a different subject at University? Why not study 3D? There is a ton of very successful 3D Degrees out there. In the end it all comes down to personal choice, some may choose to do fine arts/other degree and study 3D on their own, others completely overlook the Degree and take a course, and many are completely self taught. (There are more options, like one on one tutoring, etc...)

If you want to know about my path, I'm gonna take Computer Animation at Bournemouth, England, when I finish highschool. As well as continue my learning through the different websites out there (DTutors, Gnomon Workshops, Lynda, Eat3D, etc...) And I might do a course If I feel I need to. So it's a mix.

You can do what you want, or at least in the limits of choices you have. Just do what you think is better. There are success stories in all options, but if 3D is what you want, if it's your passion, you'll eventually get there.

CGTalk Moderation
02-12-2013, 12:21 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.