PDA

View Full Version : Building Texture Input

Inchoatos
12-12-2003, 06:40 PM
Hey everyone.

I was wondering, what is the basic way buildings are usually textured? I know that if the building is UV mapped and painted by hand, it will look much better than if you were to use a repeating texture, say, bricks. Although the repeating texture is much faster. So I'm asking for a bit of input, any ideas or experiences will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

spm
12-12-2003, 08:08 PM
patience and effort always pay off. that all i can say. tiled texture or not, the ammount of effort youll put in to it will shine through... so use whatever method you find the most convinient and be patient. if it looks good it doesnt matter how you did it.

SecretAgent
12-12-2003, 11:16 PM
Inchoatos, I'm in the same position as you, I'm not entirely understanding how buildings/environments get textured. If you don't mind, I'll post a couple of my questions here as well.

--For instance, when creating walls, should they be split up so different repeatable textures can be used on different areas of the wall?

--Is it ok to map some things on a building seperately such as window arches (that have like a curve of bricks)? And use big repeatable textures for say the whole wall of the building (the outside bricks)?

Dargon
12-13-2003, 12:38 AM
It depends on the platform, the amount of angles it gets viewed in, and the technology that you are utilizing.

In a game like Dead or Alive 3, I imagine big textures, like 1024X1024 or higher were just painted, then cut up to smaller images, and pasted on the geometry.

In a game like GTA3, the environment is so expansive, and there are so many characters, and cars needed to be loaded, that one building would likely have only 6 textures, probably 5 of which would be ones used elsewhere in the level, leaving only 1 64X64 to make that building seem like a hardressers instead of a gun shop.

Depending on the technology, you might also have alpha blending, in which case you could have a large cement wall, with dirt layers or ivy blended in over top to hide the tiling, and give a better character. More and more games are utilizing this technique. I can't speak for sure, but it looks like Prince of Persia uses it. It's a great way to get small textures to work over a large space.

spm
12-13-2003, 11:42 AM
also remember:

UV borders, shader borders and hard edges cuts/divides tri-strips. not good if the platform sucks as much as playstation 2 for example.

Inchoatos
12-15-2003, 06:41 PM
Alright, thnx for the comments.

to give you an idea about what im doing, ill explain the game. its an rpg, we have the engine done, and now were working on the buildings. they will be made up of old stones, wood, and metal (iron and such).

im going to need to use 512*512 sheets, my limit on sheets if i do unwrap technique i'd imagine is about five, the coder told me i could do as many as i'd like but i think i'll try to keep it around 3 for buildings if that is necessary.

so, another thing, i could use a repeating texture for large parts, such as a wall, and then unwrap for things i'd like to detail? thats what you had in mind right eric? so anyway, more input would be awsome :D

cheers

Dargon
12-15-2003, 06:55 PM
Try to think of it as unwrapping the whole object, but you don't need to keep within the 1x1 tiling area.

SecretAgent
12-15-2003, 09:23 PM
Inchoatos - yeah that's exactly what I had in mind - use repeatable textures on larger areas (like walls) and unwrap certain objects w/their own textures.

I'm working on a building right now and that's how I'm approaching it, the windows, doors, signs, lights and stuff like that I'm unwrapping (as if they could also be repeated elsewhere in a level) and I'm making repeatable textures for things like the walls and ground planes. Hopefully I can break up the repetetive textures by adding the mapped objects around the building to help disquise some of the repeating maps.

Inchoatos
12-16-2003, 02:50 AM
ah yes, thats what i thought eric

@ eric22
yea, i was thinking of doing that. and i will probly do it for the floor, but that is probly all i will use if for. i just did a lot of unwrapping work and i almost have all of the exterior and its all unwrapped, not repeating. i like the control it allows me with unwrapping so i can paint ware on the walls near the ground and such, if you'd like we could email and give input on the tex's.

@ Dargon
yea i can see it that way, i just think there is much more control over manually unwrapping all of the planes.

SecretAgent
12-16-2003, 05:12 PM
yeah, I'd love to see how your building is turning out. I'm gonna eventually post mine up here when I have the time. Right now I'm busy working on it and another interior which are both due Jan 6th but, I'll post em' up here when they're done and see if I did things correctly or not.

nathan 3d
12-16-2003, 06:05 PM
I was working on a rpg style game a while back and I had to figure this out too. It was my job to model the main city. I had to do every building with just one texture map. I used one 512x512 sheet for the smaller ones, and one 1024x1024 for the larger ones.

basicly I would get the model 100% done, then unwrap the UVW cords, get them all set for texturing then paint them at a res of 1024x1024 and shrink them down. You get alot more detail this way.

Also, make a bunch of seamless textures first. like a bunch at a resolution of 256x256 or 128x128 and then set them as patterns in photoshop. This way it is easy to paint the textures where you need them.

I actualy got good results from the single 256x256 textures. email me if you would like to see some renders. I'm not at home right now so can't upload any.

good luck!

PS: I have alot of nice textures for this type of work. I can send a couple over if you like.

*edit* I found some of my images uploaded. they are from the wip sectin but still givs you an idea.

http://www.nathanmarmon.com/misc/house01.jpg

http://www.nathanmarmon.com/misc/house01-texture.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.