PDA

View Full Version : MD. H Berlin, opinions?

Sheepshooter
02-10-2013, 11:08 PM
Hi.
i once posted on the american sub forum here, but the US with its tuition is, unfortunately, out of reach. (i would love to say 'for now' but i guess its just no where near)

anyhow, next destination is europe, especially Germany.
i know some german, can get around and planning on improving it there, getting couple of months before i start study, so language is not (that much) of an issue.

to the point.
any of you guys know MD. H in Berlin? (http://www.mediadesign.de/index.php?id=205) a private college for arts, with a courses in Animation and VFX, which is exactly what im looking for (VFX).
the price is alright, ive been to berlin a lot of times, i have many people i know there, so its perfect study environment.

although i want to study in Filmakadmie Baden-Würtemberg, in Ludwigsburg, i kind of lied (?) that off for now, coz i know getting in is very hard, and without strong and impressive portfolio and background its sort of redundant.

right now things are coming together to lave for germany anyhow to improve my German.

so, long story short.
any opinions on the MD. H college in Berlin and its Animation and VFX degree?
any other options in berlin?
and do you think its a good idea to start there for a year, or couple of intensive courses, and continue with better background to the Filmakademie B-W? will it make the difference?

any other opinion, suggestion, advice or whatnot is more than welcome!
Thank you very much!
Dan.

scrimski
02-11-2013, 07:48 AM
This guy
http://vimeo.com/57148705
studies there.
I'd rather try to get into a job or an internship in a professional environment than spending than spending money on a private school(by all means stay away from SAE Berlin) and then try Ludwigsburg(or HFF Potsdam).

Sheepshooter
02-11-2013, 09:25 AM
thanks for the reply!

though spending money is something i willing (though not wanting) to do.
here the education for Animation and VFX in particular is poor.

though not industry-wise like the US, or language easy like any other English speaking nation, the fees are fairly acceptable, private might be more expensive, but for me is relatively cheap, money-per-quality speaking, considering there is nothing in my home country and anything else is pretty much the same price.

just checking to see what kind of said quality i need to expect and what are my possibilities.

any info about Scholarships for private schools? im in contact with the DAAD and the embassy but things are crawling slow here.

again, thank you very much!

scrimski
02-11-2013, 10:16 AM
If money is not an issue, get a flat in Berlin, maybe a 3 day job and try to get an internship at one of the local shops.
http://english.crew-united.com/ ->companies->facilities->post production

Another idea: try to get in touch with alumnis of that particular school, via facebook or LinkedIn
http://www.google.de/search?client=opera&q=linkedin+mediadesign+hochschule&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest

Sheepshooter
02-11-2013, 07:02 PM
well its not that MUCH of an issue, i saved enough for one year rent, living and study (not counting in the flights, insurance and all the other boring stuff)

taken tuition fees out of the equation will leave me with pretty much a whole more year of rent and living covered (800 Euros/month as far as i know, with addition couple of hundreds)

BUT, will you recommend this instead of formal education? a degree, or some form of education is pretty much a must for a foreigner, isnt it?

i have some good works to show, i had a basic animation course over here, and pretty much everything else is tutorials and self taught. its pretty much a hobby right now, as far as formal or professional work.

thank you again! means a lot!

scrimski
02-12-2013, 05:17 AM
taken tuition fees out of the equation will leave me with pretty much a whole more year of rent and living covered (800 Euros/month as far as i know, with addition couple of hundreds)Doable, but pretty low. Prices have gone up a bit over the last years, especially for flats/rooms.

BUT, will you recommend this instead of formal education? a degree, or some form of education is pretty much a must for a foreigner, isnt it?Don't have a degree and I'm fine with that. Like I said, get an internship(usually paid) or a junior position for some time and apply then for studies.
I don't like private schools too much, the ones I checked looked rather like a rip off but that was back in 1999 so things may have changed.

CGTalk Moderation
02-12-2013, 05:17 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.