PDA

View Full Version : Best Vid Card for the Mac & dual monitors?

studiomiguel
01-21-2002, 04:29 PM
I'm getting ready to upgrade my video card on my Dual G4. Currently I am running and ATI Rage 32 AGP card and am getting tired of it dragging on hi poly models. I have two issued that I need to resolve.
#1} What is the top end card on the mac right now? Regardless of cost.
#2} I want set up a dual monitor pipeline but don't really know the best way to accomplish this. I would prefer upgrading to a really good PCI card and then using my AGP card I currently have as the second monitor driver. But I am concered about being able to get enough performance out of a PCI card.
Suggestions from the mac community would be welcome and any info regarding AGP vs PCI.
Thanks all.
Caio
Michael

Rabid pitbull
01-22-2002, 03:16 PM
Here is the problem. There is not much after market availble to the Mac. You may find good results with ati's 8500 agp due out soon, but you will never find a good pci card.... they arent being made. I dont think any geforce cards are being made for the mac after market(stinks don't it!).

Ati is also producing a pci card with dual monitor support called the 7000, but from what i have read it is no faster than the "Mac edition Radeon" which is over a year old.....

These are just a few of the reasons i am really considering a pc.

studiomiguel
01-23-2002, 09:58 PM
Is it that we don't have many Mac users here, or many of you just hesitant to submit your opinions. I would be glad to hear input from other individuals who suffer the Mac platform...

Rabid pitbull
01-24-2002, 12:18 PM
because these are the hard facts. Macs are nice machines, and simple to maintain. But with only 5% of the market vendors don't spend to much time on them.

Sorry to dissapoint you, but that is that. Iam a mac user, and have been looking for ways to upgrade my machine for a long time. There are no easy answers, in fact the only real way to get better performance is to buy a new machine from Apple..... I think they like it that way too.

:(

studiomiguel
01-26-2002, 04:26 AM
I made my way to Newteks user forums which proved to be a marvelously inciteful way of getting very specific answers. Yes, you are correct RPb but the choices that are available are some pretty good ones.
Unfortunately for me, my AGP slot is only 2x and so I won't benefit from the best new cards on the market for the mac.

potempkin
01-27-2002, 12:19 AM
I CAN assure you that we Mac users ARE out there ;) ....we're just quite 'cause we're busy fuming about the fact that we've got no one making graphics cards for us.

'Pitbull pretty much summed it up: there just aren't enough 3rd party companies developing cards for the mac :(

Well, actually, lesse....we've got......oh yeah, ONE -- ATI. Damn. There used to be more. 3DFX, xMicro, and perhaps a few others, but all in all...they've all either diappeared or been bought by other companies.

Now if I recall correctly, I remember reading reports (this is gonna blow your mind) of people purchasing *PC* nVidia cards (ASUS GeForce 3 to be exact), and flashing the ROM of the card with a Mac OS version of the GeForce 3 ROM...

.......and it WORKED!!!!

There's a lot of warning behind this such as potentially frying your new GeForce card, and it seems that there might be some legality about obtaining a Mac version of the GeForce ROM....but still...

I might be able to dig through my bookmarks to find some URLs on all of this if people are interested.

But about the larger problem...

AFAIK, no companies are building cards from the nVidia spec. PCs have got a BILLION friggin' companies doing this!!! While I'm not usually the type to jump to this conclusion, I got a conspiracy theory: no one's making nVidia cards for the Mac because Apple's already offering it on the G4s. Perhaps there was an agreement between Apple and nVidia that nVidia wouldn't license the spec to any other developers excpet Apple (does Apple even MAKE their cards?!).

Regardless of what it is, this all BLOWS!! Apple's trying to tout the G4 as a great content creation platform (to a great part it IS), but then you look around and we've got no nVidia GeForce DCC card for us (c'mon ELSA, eVGA, ASUS, etc.!!!), we've got no Wildcats (c'mon 3DLabs!!!), no FireGL (c'mon ATI!!!).

I had theoized months back in a post on MacCentral that with Maya being ported over to Mac, that great things were in store for graphics cards for the Mac, but thus far, I've been proven VERY wrong -- much to everybody's dismay.

It seems to me that the graphics cards market is perhaps THE most important one for there to be 3rd part competition on for the PPC platform, yet right now, Apple seems to have this closed off. It seems to me that other companies would be interested in developing cards for the Mac OS, but they're being held back by something

Maybe we should start a petition?

Wintermute
01-27-2002, 07:39 AM
I think you pretty much nailed it potempkin!

I'm running LW 7 (OSX version) on a G3 400!!!! :D

I don't even have the luxury of agp in this machine!!

despite all its drawbacks, it is my primary computer and will remain so for the forseeable future. My upgrade plans focus mostly on obtaining a Radeon PCI, while retaining the current Rage 128 for a dual monitor setup.

I'd like to save about a hundred bucks on the issue if I can find a straight answer to one question:

Will a PC version of the radeon (pci 32mb) work in my mac?? Identicaly configured cards mac/pc have about a $100 price disparity.

This question can probably be applied to the GeForce cards for miguel (swap radeon pci for GeForce...

If you think the G3 is crazy...I still use a PM 7100/80!!!! (240MHz G3 upgrade)

potempkin
01-27-2002, 04:30 PM
wintermute --

I'd wager that if you flashed the ROM on the Radeon, that it MIGHT work, BUT (!!!!!):

nVidia's got that whole "unified driver" thing down, and that could be the reason why the "flash-my-ROM-baby!" thing works as well as it does
if you a-lookin' to save $100, then I wouldn't risk flashing the ROM on the Radeon, only to have it fry your card and then you'd be down a lot more than $100 ;)

I think your 7100/(240 G3) just might blow the panties off my 7300/180!! :D

...damn I'm a po' mo-fo :(

word.

Chewey
01-27-2002, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Wintermute
I think you pretty much nailed it potempkin!

I'm running LW 7 (OSX version) on a G3 400!!!! :D

I don't even have the luxury of agp in this machine!!

despite all its drawbacks, it is my primary computer and will remain so for the forseeable future. My upgrade plans focus mostly on obtaining a Radeon PCI, while retaining the current Rage 128 for a dual monitor setup.

I'd like to save about a hundred bucks on the issue if I can find a straight answer to one question:

Will a PC version of the radeon (pci 32mb) work in my mac?? Identicaly configured cards mac/pc have about a $100 price disparity.

This question can probably be applied to the GeForce cards for miguel (swap radeon pci for GeForce...

If you think the G3 is crazy...I still use a PM 7100/80!!!! (240MHz G3 upgrade)

I have Lightwave 7b osx running on a similar setup on a G3 Beige DT with a upgraded 450mhz cpu with only 285 megs ram and the stock ATI card with only 6 megs of vram. No where near as cool as my intel windows version of Lightwave 7b but it is surprising how decently it works even with the mickey mouse ati stock graphics card. I switched to the intel version a few years ago when it became apparent that apple was getting no decent grahics card support. ATI still hasn't gotten their act together after all this time. And the mac is just not quite there yet for 3D work compared to other platforms.

potempkin
01-27-2002, 04:59 PM
here's two links if you're interested:

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/Graphics/flashing_pc_geforce3.html
http://www.cybercoment.com/macgeforce.htm

I think that's all I've got, but you should be able to find even more stuff from the links inside of those pages.

If anyone does this, it'd be interesting to hear what your results were.

cheers!

phatgroovn
01-31-2002, 07:04 PM
Check ebay for Mac graphics cards....there is a thirving market for system pulls and second monitor pci cards. I have a system pull GeForce 2 dual-head card with 64 meg ram. It does pretty well - although it is noticably slower than the Gloria III in my Maya box.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.