PDA

View Full Version : Square making 3 new movies?

neonhomer
12-12-2003, 03:24 PM
Colombia Pictures has agreed to jointly finance three movies with game maker Square's U.S. subsidiary. The companies will share production costs evenly, though Square will likely still need to issues several billion yen in securities to finance its part of the costs. Square plans to use technology and expertise garnered in the production of its current Final Fantasy film project to reduce production time and cost for the next three films.http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=3060

Sounds interesting... but i thought Square Studios was cut off from the main company, did the animatrix short, and died. :shrug:

PhilOsirus
12-12-2003, 04:44 PM
They did die. This is probably the US division of Square-Enix, which is the same as the former US division of Squaresoft. They are used to make the contact with Columbia Pictures. But this news reminds me of some very old news, and since I can't view the article I can't tell if the date is recent. I remember hearing the same during the production of FFTSW.

teknotek83
12-12-2003, 05:30 PM
it is dated december 12th, 2003. this is very interesting..anyone know where to find an official statement?

quid
12-12-2003, 09:54 PM
I didn't see this article, but it sounds exactly like one I read after FF release and subsequent bomb. I read later articles then saying that square pictures is completely gone. The last thing they did before the skeleton crew was axed was the animatrix short. Prior to the FF flop there was talk of three more movies, but the talked stopped and the computers were sold. Although FF was pretty, it is a good thing that Square is out of movie making. That story was just absolutely horrible, I mean they invested over 130 million in that movie, you’d think that they could have worked on the dialogue a little more. The last words uttered in the movie were those of Dr Grey “it’s warm” I laughed uncontrollably in the theater when I heard that profound one. But seriously folks, movies like that are very dangerous for our industry. Sure they are pretty and gives us fun things to figure out, but when the story is so god awful and the CG is so good, it leads one to think that the movie was just about the CG nothing more. This is a popular sentiment these days and once the public makes the connection between CG and god-awful-sappy-poorly-written-badly-directed-movies, well people will stop buying tickets and equate CG with meaningless tripe. And then we’ll all be in trouble and many of us will loose work etc…. It is an ever looming catastrophe just waiting to happen. Fortunately there are some good companies making CG films.

katakana
12-13-2003, 12:34 AM
This doesnt have anything to do with Advent Children does it?

Geta-Ve
12-13-2003, 01:05 AM
i think, the main problem with the FF movie was not the story... well yes it was, but i mean the real main thing was that the movie was so "americanized" just look at what Square can achieve in its purely japanese games. the story that they can convey in a matter of 30 seconds or 2 minutes. I think that FF:TSW was held back by its "american" partners...er did that sounds right? hmm anyways, I just think if you leave square alone to make a film and came back 3 years you would have a great movie....

also another thing i didnt like about FF:TSW was that they tried to scientifically explain everything.. and that the setting was in earths future....there was no fantasy at all in the movie! NONE!! no magic spell casting, no hand to hand combat with beasties we have grown to love/hate. no fantastical swords or sheilds or armour or anything like that. no moogles, and the thing that really killed the movie.... NO CHOCOBOS!!! :cry: they could have gotten out of that facility on a chocobo no problem!! :D

perhaps not...:hmm:

but still, the whole essence of final fantasy that we know, was nowhere to be found in the movie. that is really what killed it for me... if they had of called that movie simple The spirits within.. i wouldnt have gone in hoping for a final fantasy, i would have only gone in hoping for a cool movie with amazing story... (still obviously would have been disapointed but hey) they tried to sell the movie using the Final Fantasy name... which is (in my books) not cool.

neonhomer
12-13-2003, 01:54 AM
Evidently this article must have showed up incorrectly on gamasutra. I'm sure that it showed up under the december 12th articles before. :surprised

It now shows August 23, 2000 as the date on it...

katakana
12-13-2003, 04:35 AM
I think that it wasnt so much "Americanized" as given the hollywood treatment. I never understood why they did that, but thats why im not a producer. It did how ever have the main theam of all the games, which is a possible end to the world and the adventure of the group that saves it. other then that it was just bad sifi writing.

PhilOsirus
12-13-2003, 05:17 AM
Ok so case closed:)

As for Square, they can learn from their own mistakes. I am sure they world make a Pixar-esque movie next time if it was to be released in the US.

quid
12-13-2003, 08:04 AM
I wonder what Square did with all of its software and hardware that was used to develop the movie? In the end it's such a shame, that could have been a fantastic movie if written and directed differently--it would have shaken pixar.

neonhomer
12-13-2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by quid
I wonder what Square did with all of its software and hardware that was used to develop the movie?Here's all that i know that is left of SquareUSA. Check out the company page.
http://www.syflex.biz/

ambient-whisper
12-13-2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by neonhomer
Here's all that i know that is left of SquareUSA. Check out the company page.
http://www.syflex.biz/

no. thats a buncha guys that left squaresoft and made their own cloth system that was pretty much identical to the one that was made for FF:TSW as far as i know.

whats left of squaresoft USA can be seen in pretty much every single game by squaresoft these days. since the R&D can be transported rather easily..

shaders? models? scripts? materials? rigs? custom programs? all that hair technology, cloth tech.. all those things are transferrable.. and i really doubt squaresoft decided to format those hard drives they had without having to copy over all that information to their main servers first.

so it wasnt a complete waste.

boboroshi
12-13-2003, 11:14 PM
That and Per Christensen ended up at Pixar on Renderman.

He was part of the Kilaeu Renderer:
http://www.df.lth.se/~mazirian/testpdfs/kilauea.pdf (3.4 MB PDF)

One of my friends was a compositor on FF. They did some amazing stuff and pushed the limits. That's now moved eve more photoreal with ESC''s work on matrix (the entire 3d scenes with characters)

That and Square USA auctioned off their entire honolulu studio components abotu a year or so ago. Linux reunderfarms by the rack. 100 6x8 tablets, etc. it was pretty sick.

quid
12-14-2003, 10:24 AM
Thanks boboroshi and neonhomer for the links. They're pretty interesting reads.
25 million + polygons for the phantoms... yikes!

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.