PDA

View Full Version : Variety on next year's short film candidates... (and some info on Pixar's Boundin')

RobertoOrtiz
12-12-2003, 03:51 PM
Quote:

" Imagine an Oscar category with films inspired by legendary artists Dali and Giacometti. Then add a cartoon about tadpoles, a piece about sheep from the artist who designed "Toy Story's" Woody the Cowboy, and top it off with the continuing adventures of an "Ice Age" critter. You soon realize this is a distinctive year in the contest for animated short film.

The competition was a long time coming for at least two entrants --- Disney's "Destino" and Pixar's "Boundin'." "Destino" was 57 years in the making --- conceived by Salvador Dali and Walt Disney in 1945 and recently completed at the behest of Roy Disney. "Boundin' " is the first Academy submission by 70-year-old Bud Lucky, an animator on the original "Sesame Street."

Pixar's "Toy Story" director John Lasseter, an Oscar winner himself for the 1988 short "Tin Toy," explains, "Bud Lucky was one of Pixar's first animators, and he's worked on all our films. 'Boundin' is about a sheep that's proud of his fluffy wool coat. But then he gets sheared and becomes pathetic until he gets some sage advice from the great American jackalope."

Unlike past Pixar shorts, which qualified for Academy consideration by being theatrically released with the studio's features, the just-finished "Boundin' " squeaked into the Oscar race after Pixar arranged special screenings at L.A.'s Laemmle Theaters.

Qualifying this way is a popular practice for animated short filmmakers, whose only other road to Oscar qualification involves winning a "best-of" prize at one of the 47 film festivals that the Academy recognizes. Since that can be a lengthy process, several entrants this year took the Laemmle route, including Blur Studios ("Rockfish"), Film Roman ("The Amazing Jorge") and indie animator Rachel Johnson ("The Toll Collector").

One high-profile submission this year did have the benefit of a theatrical run, however. Sony Imageworks' tadpole tale "Early Bloomer" screened with "Daddy Day Care," and director Kevin Johnson (news) admits, "I'm guilty of going to several viewings of that movie!"

With "Early Bloomer," Sony clearly hopes to continue the momentum begun last year with its first animated-short Oscar winner, "The ChubbChubbs!," now in feature development. (See story, page Ax.)

Johnson himself is working on a yet-to-be-announced feature, and could be the latest talent to benefit from directing a well-received animated short. The precedents are plentiful --- in addition to Lasseter, animated shorts have offered a path to feature films for Blue Sky Studio's Chris Wedge, who directed the 1998 Oscar-winning short "Bunny" before directing "Ice Age."
"
>>Link<< (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/variety/20031210/va_sp_ev/animated_shorts_discover_fest_route_is_1)

-R

Mr_Smee
12-12-2003, 04:11 PM
I didn't know Disney finally did Destino. I remember reading about that and seeing some sketches when I was a kid. Does anybody have a link to any clips of it? I found one on here but it doesn't work anymore.

I would love to see what they did with that.

keithlango
12-13-2003, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by RobertoOrtiz
One high-profile submission this year did have the benefit of a theatrical run, however. Sony Imageworks' tadpole tale "Early Bloomer" screened with "Daddy Day Care," and director Kevin Johnson (news) admits, "I'm guilty of going to several viewings of that movie!"

With "Early Bloomer," Sony clearly hopes to continue the momentum begun last year with its first animated-short Oscar winner, "The ChubbChubbs!," now in feature development. (See story, page Ax

According to sources "Early Bloomer" from Sony didn't make the short list of films for Oscar consideration (for those that don't know, there's qualified submissions open to anyone who meets the criteria. Then there's the short list, a cut down list of 8 or 9 films from which the final list of 3-5 nominees will be named. The short list isn't usually publicized to the broader public, but those filmmakers who make it to the short list are told if they did).

Back to Bloomer, Sony even took out a back cover ad in Animation Magazine last month with one of those "For Your Consideration...." adverts in an effort to try and get it some play with the Academy members. So much for that.

-k

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.