PDA

View Full Version : realistic lighting?

otacon
06-17-2002, 02:26 AM
Ive been working on my lighting lately, so i made this scene to try and achieve some realistic looking lighting. Its a dull scene, i know, but i was wondering if it looked realistic or not, and how I could make it look more realistic? Comments are appreciated.:D

anthonymcgrath
06-21-2002, 01:15 PM
erm, where is it?

iLL
06-21-2002, 02:24 PM
It's very hard to determine if its realistic lightning or not since theres no "real" objects in the scene. Try putting in some standard geometric shapes (like spheres, boxes etc.), render it again and post it. One thing though - if your package doesnt support global illumination you should really try investing in one that does (or maybe find a plugin).

otacon
06-21-2002, 06:01 PM
That scene is nothing, i know. I dont even know why i posted it, but here is that same corner with some objects. Ive been posting in the WIPs section because nobody ever responds to this thread:shrug: .

anthonymcgrath
06-21-2002, 06:16 PM
from what can be seen, it looks very nice. How about maybe adding something out of the shot that casts light in that area - a passing police car with siren for example might cast a subtle blue & red light across the corners of the bin and on the floor helping to define the shapes more?
cool stuff tho.
:)

otacon
06-21-2002, 06:43 PM
sounds good...ill try it and see what happends.
:D

anthonymcgrath
06-21-2002, 06:52 PM
make sure you get some posts up as you do the ammends dude! would love to see any newer version!
ant

some other thoughts:

-some rubbish on the floor, in and around the bin? if you added aforementioned police siren lighting it would catch all this detail on the floor helping to give a further depth to the scene and some history?

-maybe a bit of graffiti on the wall - I go taggin round newcastle from time to time and this spot would so rock as it looks proper outta the way? coupla empty aerosol cans too?

just some ideas, but they'll give that little story to a still image - graffers go bombing in this area & police passing doing a patrol to make sure there are no graffers up to their usual aerosol antics!!

otacon
06-21-2002, 07:17 PM
Ill be sure to post the updates.:D

iLL
06-21-2002, 07:34 PM
Not that you dont already know this - but remember the imperfections. It's what makes CG look "real". I agree with ant ... try some graffiti and some rubbish on the ground. And maybe smack some raytracing on the red "cans" ? :) remember that everything reflects everything else. So smack some raytracing on everything and play around with the settings :)

// iLL

ilasolomon
06-21-2002, 10:49 PM
1. what atmosphere/light/ do you want to achive? it's day?
it's night?...it's foggy/cloudy ?...moonlighted?...closed area illuminated?
by indirect lights from sky?...let me know
2. then if you wouldn't mind post the scene to me so i could
work a little on it then return it back to you.

otacon
06-22-2002, 06:00 PM
A small update. I tried putting some graffiti on the wall, but it looked crappy since im no good at graffiti myself. As far as lighting goes, the time is around the late evening, but not quite completely dark yet. Its a dark alley, but maybe a street light in the distance that is casting some light. I dont know, any good ideas? Ill try posting an update soon.

ila: its an .lws file, if you want it, how could i send it to you, post it?

ilasolomon
06-22-2002, 10:34 PM
oh, i'm not familiar with LW much...sorry :)

otacon
06-22-2002, 11:31 PM
I put some red and blue lighting to simulate a police car in the distance. Played around with some other stuff as well. I still need to work on some graffiti though.:D

otacon
06-22-2002, 11:35 PM
What do you guys think of this?

iLL
06-23-2002, 12:05 AM
_ALOT_ better. But where are my minor reflections? ;)

As I said before - everything reflects everything in the real world. So should it in your world. Another thing - about the graffiti. I used to do alot of that in my younger days so if you need any help ... flip me an email at djb@web-craft.dk.

iLL out :)

otacon
06-23-2002, 12:45 AM
Thanks iLL. I have ray tracing on the cans, but they have so much grime on them i dont know if you can notice it. One thing I have yet to do is render it with radiosity turned on for the lights, but i dont know if thats affecting it.

tuna
06-23-2002, 03:36 PM
ok so this area.. where is it? looks like a back alley. why is there a harsh shadow comming from the right.. i can just about see it. it shouldnt really be there.
determine what time of day it is and where the sun is, or if the sky is overcast. simulate the direction of light to a perfectional level.

that floor needs a specular map to determine it's greesy spills

the brick wall looks great so far. if you can try adding a really really glossy reflection to the smooth parts of that scene, it will help catch the light of the surrounding area.

otacon
06-23-2002, 06:31 PM
Thanks tuna. I agree about that shadow, it doesnt look right. Ill work on perfecting the lighting and add some specular maps soon.;)

otacon
06-25-2002, 01:22 AM
Well im getting tired of this scene so here is the last update.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.