PDA

View Full Version : Online MA/MFA?

KADohn
02-06-2013, 03:18 AM
Hi, I am a current Graphic Designer, and have been for 7 years. I have a great job that pays wonderfully but I lack formal education in Design. I have a bachelors in Civil Engineering (I know... opposite side of the brain) but my heart is in graphics and I have done pretty well at it. I want a Masters degree for me. I am stationed overseas in Japan right now as a civilian working for the Military so it MUST be online.

I looked at two schools so far. SCAD and the Academy of Art. My question for you all is the Academy of Art worth the money? Their only Masters is an MFA, which is 63 credits, versus the 32 credits with the MA from SCAD. I see AoA has rolling admissions & US News has them unranked with a 100% admissions, which leads me to think they are not legit if they let everyone in. While more education is nice, I donít know if its worth the extra $$.
Also, have any of you seen instances where someone with a science degree is granted admission with a good portfolio?

I appreciate any feedback! thanks!

- K

fig
02-08-2013, 07:55 PM
Don't have much information on the courses themselves, but speaking as someone who is and helps hire designers I don't know that there's much benefit in a masters degree. I know you said it's something you want to do for yourself, but if anything I think you might price yourself out of some jobs or overqualify yourself with an advanced degree.

I've worked at several different design studios and in reviewing candidates I rarely do anything more than glance at a resume until after reviewing a designer's portfolio. A lot of times I don't bother to look at the resume for any reason outside of curiousity. What you show carries immensely more weight than any piece of paper you've got.

KADohn
02-10-2013, 09:53 PM
Thanks for the reply. Valid point on the portfolio. I know its the most important, and I also saw the AIGA survey of design salaries and that leads me to think I may be tossing my money in the trash because those salaries were pretty low, but I plan to use my GI Bill to pay for school and think it may make my portfolio even stronger. I think I am going to try my best to get into SCAD, the MFA just seems like overkill and I have no plans to teach at the college level which would be its only benefit since thats a requirement.

CGTalk Moderation
02-10-2013, 09:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.