PDA

View Full Version : Toohey's Extra Dry 'The Quest'

Leonard
12-12-2003, 06:34 AM
Our latest CGFilm to be featured on CGNetworks is the Toohey's Extra Dry commercial entitled 'The Quest', where a sleeping man's tongue goes out to find some action. VFX was produced by The Mill in London.

>> Toohey's Extra Dry 'The Quest' << (http://www.cgnetworks.com/cgfilms/cgfilm.php?story_id=1834)

http://www.cgnetworks.com/cgfilms/film_files/tooheys_quest/title.jpg

Enjoy!

Leo

frogchild
12-12-2003, 07:20 AM
Very well done. Nice lighting, pacing, comp. The tongue looks real enough to make it feel a bit unsettleing, which I would imagine is a good thing.

Gibbz
12-12-2003, 07:32 AM
yeah ive seen this ad on tv alot in the past few months, love it!

Ian Jones
12-12-2003, 07:42 AM
Excellent! Can't thank you guys enough for featuring these shorts. It really is a great service to us all.

fturtle
12-12-2003, 07:56 AM
That's so awesome.

...can't imagine the nasty taste in his mouth after the tounge flopped around on the floor and stuff. :cool:

darnel25
12-12-2003, 08:36 AM
The whole time I'm watching it I can't keep my face from scrunching up. That was disgusting which obviously means they did a really really good job. Really impressive.

Shotty
12-12-2003, 08:38 AM
They really did an amazing job with this animation. I saw it in the cinima here in Brisbane, QLD, and everyone in the cinima went Uargh! as soon as the tongue fell out of his mouth 'cause it looked so real :)

Good work.

Kwago
12-12-2003, 09:28 AM
that is such a damn good idea. loved it to death.

SuperMax
12-12-2003, 09:31 AM
Lol

yeah that commercial raised a few eye brows here in Australia. People talked about it on TV and the Newspapers.

Disgusting stuff, which ofcourse is really good. I remember the first I saw it, i thought he was gonna do something else with the tongue :cool: :rolleyes: :blush:

PCollier
12-12-2003, 09:49 AM
A good idea well executed as usual by the Mill :buttrock:

mmProj
12-12-2003, 10:01 AM
haha yeah this add made me cringe the first time i saw it.... yeeeeuck... i think they can only play it after 10pm (approx) at night.

GG to the development team.

lukx
12-12-2003, 10:05 AM
I can't see the movie. I', logging in got the "Logged in successfully. Welcome lukx.
You are now being redirected.
Click here if nothing happens"

and bum! I got again Authorization window.

hexeh
12-12-2003, 10:06 AM
ahh, The Mill guys did it again... ;)

Top notch stuff! :beer:

testoxx
12-12-2003, 10:17 AM
Same for me, I can't see the video ! I'm redirected on the same authorization window. I don't understand, it's the same for the Cane Toad video. What's the problem ?

PixelShader
12-12-2003, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by lukx
I can't see the movie. I', logging in got the "Logged in successfully. Welcome lukx.

Hey Lux, it looks like your ISP is caching the authorization page relentlessly. It works fine here and a number of other people here have had no problems.

:beer:

Geoff

AnimZiggy
12-12-2003, 11:08 AM
:bounce: :bounce:

disgustingly gorgeous work. Good to see it on CGTalk. Well Done.

:beer:

arvid
12-12-2003, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by lukx

Same thing here :surprised

natrule
12-12-2003, 11:31 AM
yeah i've seen this ad on tv aswell...love the bit were the tougue just curls back into the mouth with the beer.

well done

slaughters
12-12-2003, 11:54 AM
"...The final texture in fact being that of Jordi’s girlfriend’s tongue."

stephen2002
12-12-2003, 12:57 PM
ewww. A crawling toung. Pretty original advertisment!

wgreenlee1
12-12-2003, 01:18 PM
pretty intresting stuff

sireel
12-12-2003, 02:12 PM
LOL I love it! Brilliant!
Man now I know what happens when I wake up with chocolate ice cream all over my face at night.

l3d_davi
12-12-2003, 02:48 PM
wowwwwwwwwwwwww very cool the harmony of light amazing :applause: :drool:

Mr_Smee
12-12-2003, 02:54 PM
The original scans must be interesting!

Originally posted by slaughters
"...The final texture in fact being that of Jordi’s girlfriend’s tongue."

worx3d
12-12-2003, 04:04 PM
Wonderful!!! aaah! I wish they would play that commercial here in Mexico, but we don't have that beverage here... hmmm. Excellent work!

Plays_4_Pants
12-12-2003, 04:25 PM
I believe u guys with the authorization loop have to allow popups.
Anyway, love the tongue but I have a hard time with the animation, kinda moves "impossibly"

JanneVee
12-12-2003, 04:26 PM
One ord! Amazing!!!!!!!!

Russo
12-12-2003, 04:40 PM
hahahahahahaha Just loved it... really really nice :bounce: :thumbsup:

slaughters
12-12-2003, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Plays_4_Pants
..., love the tongue but I have a hard time with the animation, kinda moves "impossibly" That's because the animation was done....

Wait for it....

Tongue in cheek. :)

Bada-boom bada-boom.

testoxx
12-12-2003, 05:54 PM
I believe u guys with the authorization loop have to allow popups
It's not that ! I use Internet Explorer 6 and Opera and it doesn't work on both ! It's the only site where it doesn't work. What is this system ? It's so complicated just to watch videos... I'm really very disappointed. :cry:

Rudity
12-12-2003, 06:29 PM
eww the tongue crawled back in his mouth..?!
Good thing it at least brought a beer.

That made me laugh and cringe. Fun add.

digital_rhino
12-12-2003, 06:33 PM
That was great...truly disgusting!:applause:

elvis
12-12-2003, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Shotty
They really did an amazing job with this animation. I saw it in the cinima here in Brisbane, QLD, and everyone in the cinima went Uargh! as soon as the tongue fell out of his mouth 'cause it looked so real :)

Good work.

yeah, it's been on free to air TV a fair bit here in australia the last month or so. i was watching it with some freinds on TV during the rugby world cup, and everyone freaked when the tongue "popped" out.

a very cool ad. one of the best i've seen in a while. i love it when ad creators treat ads like a mini movie rather than just some annoying attention grabber. :thumbsup:

[EDIT] i just downloaded the version linked, and it is the short one. the first time the commercial aired they used a slightly longer version. must have cost them a packet to air that during the world cup, but damn it was a ripper. :)

[EDIT2] anyone know how long it took them to make the thing, start to finish?

Jan
12-12-2003, 10:05 PM
Great Idea, Great visualisation! Just Amazing. A really marvelous spot :):thumbsup:

Kabab
12-13-2003, 12:58 AM
That is the best beer ever :p

oxyg3n
12-13-2003, 05:32 AM
I really dont know what to say about this one. I never imagined my tongue climbing out of my mouth to get a drink.

INteresting concept.

bonohyogurt
12-14-2003, 04:00 AM
If anyone is having trouble seeing the movie, or wants to know more about the development team, go to www.mill.co.uk

Of course I worship their work... And this ad is plain kick ass

br53199
12-14-2003, 03:21 PM
Cool commercial!
Now whats the name of that song playing in the background?

fattdex
12-15-2003, 01:32 AM
yeah good concept done well great song too hehe 'push me and then just touch me' *sings to self driving everybody nuts* and you can remember what the ad is for too after it all so it works! unlike that other expensive looking high cocept ad with all those trendy young things partying in a real life sized bouncy castle, i have no clue as to what that ad was for although it looked cool *shrugs* which is kinda pointless :-P

LisaT
12-15-2003, 01:52 AM
Sounds like the Benny Benassi remix of Satisfaction...

satanatron
12-15-2003, 02:49 AM
Pity the beer tastes like crap(...it is tooheys after all..)..

fattdex the ad your thinking of is for Empire beer.

jordibares
12-16-2003, 06:13 PM
Just want to say thanks in name of everybody here and answer some of your questions;

1) The time working in the project was something more than 12 weeks, including the first tests and talks with the director (Garth Davis) and trying to define the look and feel of the character.

2) LisaT is right, is Benny Benassi remix.

3) The whole thing about my girlfriend's tongue is true, we did something like 28 versions of the tongue (shape and texture) but were not happy with the look, was something missing and although i took personal care on the texture and lighting it was not quite there, so with the help of a good camera and a tripod i took arround 70 pictures and work on it at 8K and 4K (depending on the distance we used one or the other). So finally, instead of using the pig's one i use my girlfriend's one, much more helthy and beautiful. The unwrapped texture is huge and can't send it but is pretty discusting.

4) The animation was extremely complex because there was a very clear treatment of what we could do and what we could not do, avoiding as much as we can any kind of discusting/ofending pose although i guess the first reaction would be quite shocking. Specially proud of the exit of the tongue have to say the comping was what really make it feel right.

5) About the idea, i love it and found the client, agency, director and production were extremely brave to put together such a radical piece, but the rewards are still coming with many many awards and great reviews, so i personally want to thank them.

thanks again guys and keep the questions coming, i will do my best to answer everybody.

jordibares

Arian Tibbs
12-23-2003, 02:07 PM
Phenom work Jordi. Absolutely phenom.

Thanks for confirming the song too, cracked my skull trying to figure it out.

loocas
12-26-2003, 01:12 AM
Yeah!! Everytime I see this cool ad on a tv, I'm really impressed! Very well done guys at the Mill!!! :thumbsup: :buttrock:

DUCKORABB
01-13-2004, 01:48 PM
This commercial is pretty cool! What is the best advice for color correction, making lighting and color of copy, like in this movie???!!!

Regards

DCKRBB

Queen_K
03-16-2004, 07:53 AM
You know, the very first time I saw that ad on TV I instantly thought that the toungue was like a leech. I don't know why but it has a sort of 'Leech' feeling about it. You could definately reuse the model for one.

Anyway, I thought it was absolutely fabulous!

Cheers!

P.S: My mother can't watch the ad, everytime it comes on, we have to turn it over...it grosses her out too much

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.