PDA

View Full Version : Return of the King to feature....TWELVE endings?

Array
12-12-2003, 06:20 AM
***SPOILERS!!!***

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=493&ncid=790&e=2&u=/ap/20031211/ap_en_mo/film_review_lord_of_the_rings

GRMac13
12-12-2003, 09:50 AM
Should have posted some spoiler warnings there.

Personally, I'm glad to hear PJ is staying true to Tolkien's "neverending ending." The entire second half of ROTK is essentially a winding-down of the larger than life events that transpire during the first half of the novel. Not sure how this is going to work on screen though. Honestly, it's the one area where I have some doubt about how well Jackson and Co. will be able to translate the material. Granted, much of that second half of the book is mainly dialogue and farewells, and I can see how casual fans may be put off by such a drastic change of pace. Hopefully, Jackson's included one last hurrah from the Hobbits with the "Scouring of the Shire" which may make the long ending worthwhile for the average film-goer. Whatever Jackson does, I'm sure it'll work on some level. He hasn't let us down yet.

colkai
12-12-2003, 11:06 AM
I think a lot of us will not see it as 12 endings but simply telling sections from the epilogue of the books, what happens to who.

For me, I think it's great that you get to see this, giving a sense of closure for the characters. Of course at 3:20 I wonder just how long the extended version will be! ;)

I have to wait till next Saturday as the wife insists on coming to see it. So it's a meal followed by ROTK - what a night that will be!

Only down sides, 1) have to wait who knows how long for the ROTK collectors edition. 2) No more LOTR at Xmas after this year :(

katakana
12-12-2003, 01:50 PM
Just a warning to those who have not read the book, there are a couple of very minor spoilers in the artical. Nothing big, but still some things are said.

aurora
12-12-2003, 02:32 PM
Theres alot I would love to comment about from that article but don't want to add to the spoilers. Why? I don't know. Either way I'm very excited from what I read especially that PJ added Aragorns special little army he gathers on the way to Minas Tirith! And as for me I would have sat through the full 4 plus hours and never complained!

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.