PDA

View Full Version : The right course to choose

WilkesAnimations
02-02-2013, 11:55 AM
Hello Everyone!

I am going to be choosing my university options next year however I'm thinking about it now because I'm just trying to prepare myself as much as possible.

I have been animating in Blender for a while and I am OK with character movements, lighting .etc however what I struggle with is character creation. I just can't do it. I always buy my models because I haven't got a clue about making them.

I don't mind learning character creation in a different software because I think it can be helpful within other softwares.

I've been looking at a variety of courses to choose from and I'm struggling to choose what would be best for me. I've gotten used to Blender and it's a good software but I don't know any universities that teach it. I'm not very keen on switching softwares after just getting used to it.

I would like to go somewhere like Bournemouth or Glamorgan but I'm not sure if there are any subjects suitable.

Any advice?

And thank you for your help!

Nathan

DaPerPT
02-02-2013, 12:27 PM
Well, from what I hear, University doesn't teach you that much, you really need to work and self teach a little, it does give you great industry contacts though, I would choose Bournemouth (If everything goes well I will apply for BU in a couple of years) because it is one of the best Unis around for Computer Animation. At the end your portfolio and contacts is what matters.

And if you have difficulties modeling chars, it's normal, blender is not the best way to do it, it's better for hard surface as is any other 3d package like Maya or Max (although you can still create some awesome chars). Anyway, learn Zbrush, it's way better for organic models, that's my opinion, Digital Tutors/ Lynda, you should check them out, there's a ton of good tutorials there, I'm learning with Digital Tutors and I really like it.

Good luck, and If you do think about going to Bournemouth, this is worth a read:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=301364

leigh
02-02-2013, 03:03 PM
And if you have difficulties modeling chars, it's normal, blender is not the best way to do it, it's better for hard surface as is any other 3d package like Maya or Max (although you can still create some awesome chars). Anyway, learn Zbrush, it's way better for organic models, that's my opinion,

This is simply not true. To say that those packages are better for hard surface models and that ZBrush is better for characters is totally bizarre - a skilled modeller can model anything in whatever package they choose. Furthermore, ZBrush is NOT a good idea if you want to learn character modelling, as it's not a modelling package, it's a sculpting package, and the models that comes out of it are not suitable for use in any production pipeline without extensive retopologising. It is still standard practice in studios to model in Maya (or whatever) and then use ZBrush for sculpting onto that base mesh and exporting the result as a displacement map.

If your goal is to work in a studio, and I'm assuming from the fact that you're considering investing in a university education that this is indeed your goal, then you need to learn proper industry methods, and that means learning to model in Maya (which is what Bournemouth teach).

leigh
02-02-2013, 03:33 PM
Also, to the original poster, I know this isn't on topic for this thread, but I checked out your website (http://www.wilkesanimations.co.uk/), and honestly, I think someone needs to tell you this: pretending to be a famous award-winning studio is not going to make you any friends in this industry. And believe me, this is a small industry, and people can very easily end up on blacklists for lying or misrepresenting themselves. You claim on your website's "About" page:

Wilkes Animations is a dynamic independent Wolverhampton based animation studio, established in 2008 by Nathan Wilkes.

Winning awards worldwide, Wilkes Animations has a brilliant reputation and has received incredible feedback from our audiences. We work in mainly 3D but we’re also looking into other art forms and have started 2D Illustration also.

We are passionate about bringing the joy and excitement through the world of animation and we hope that you will join us in this adventure. We are looking to take our audience to new worlds and distant places where their imaginations can grow.

We focus on nurturing talent in any field of animation whether it being visual or audial we promise to deliver. Working in collaboration with many different studios over the world, Wilkes Animations only produces the highest quality.

Firstly, it's obvious that you're not a studio. Don't speak about yourself as "we" when it's obviously just you. There's absolutely nothing wrong with having a site representing yourself as a single entity - most artists do it.

Secondly, you work with studios around the world? Strange then that your LinkedIn page, linked prominently from your site, has zero connections.

Thirdly, claiming to have "won awards worldwide"? Sorry but I think you and I both know that's not true. Lying is not cool. Furthermore, who do you think you're fooling? The work shown on your reel is beginner-level; someone with extremely high quality work may be able to fool people by lying about awards because in that case it may actually be plausible, but in your case it's just, honestly, embarrassing. You list a number of "honours and awards" on your LinkedIn page, but a quick check on those festivals' respective sites doesn't show your name in their lists of winners from each year. How you can be so blatantly dishonest?

You have a very, very long way to go before you'll be anywhere near ready to be working professionally. Don't lie and misrepresent your skills to people, because that's a one way trip to destroying a career before it even starts.

I know this sounds harsh but I'm assuming you're very young, so take it as friendly advice. Don't try to be something you're not. Go do your studies, develop your skills, and later down the line when you're ready to venture out into the professional world, set up a site for yourself that portrays you honestly.

WilkesAnimations
02-02-2013, 04:48 PM
Also, to the original poster, I know this isn't on topic for this thread, but I checked out your website (http://www.wilkesanimations.co.uk/), and honestly, I think someone needs to tell you this: pretending to be a famous award-winning studio is not going to make you any friends in this industry. And believe me, this is a small industry, and people can very easily end up on blacklists for lying or misrepresenting themselves. You claim on your website's "About" page:

Firstly, it's obvious that you're not a studio. Don't speak about yourself as "we" when it's obviously just you. There's absolutely nothing wrong with having a site representing yourself as a single entity - most artists do it.

Secondly, you work with studios around the world? Strange then that your LinkedIn page, linked prominently from your site, has zero connections.

Thirdly, claiming to have "won awards worldwide"? Sorry but I think you and I both know that's not true. Lying is not cool. Furthermore, who do you think you're fooling? The work shown on your reel is beginner-level; someone with extremely high quality work may be able to fool people by lying about awards because in that case it may actually be plausible, but in your case it's just, honestly, embarrassing. You list a number of "honours and awards" on your LinkedIn page, but a quick check on those festivals' respective sites doesn't show your name in their lists of winners from each year. How you can be so blatantly dishonest?

You have a very, very long way to go before you'll be anywhere near ready to be working professionally. Don't lie and misrepresent your skills to people, because that's a one way trip to destroying a career before it even starts.

I know this sounds harsh but I'm assuming you're very young, so take it as friendly advice. Don't try to be something you're not. Go do your studies, develop your skills, and later down the line when you're ready to venture out into the professional world, set up a site for yourself that portrays you honestly.

We. Its me and my friends. Though we may not be professionals we still work together in a collective group. It started out as just me and was me for quite a while but then I started meeting people who were actually my own age doing what I did. My friends are a lot more skilled in parts of animation or scriptwriting .etc than me and so we all pitch in and work together. I don't pay them, obviously I'm not that big but we pretty much all work together.

I very rarely use LinkedIn, in fact I pretty much never use LinkedIn unless it is via Hootsuite. I can only animate and so I work with other studios who generously give up their time to help me.

I live in England, and I won two awards in California a couple years ago. It's called the Young Media Makers Festival. Check it out if you so please, though it is a bit embarrassing what is on there which is why I'm not going to put a link to it. Though I do have a certificate here - https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/150941_559419384069747_298400944_n.jpg
Here's Flip Festival: http://flipfestival.co.uk/2011-winners/
I doubt 4th Wall have a website, I'll upload a picture of the certificate though. https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/s480x480/555230_559418554069830_1095460624_n.jpg
I'm on the cover of the Co-operative Film Festival Programme so clearly I must have won. However again, I will upload a picture. https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/483073_559416320736720_1666956430_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/421018_509980759013610_1963882461_n.jpg

Just because I can't animate as well as you doesn't mean that I'm a loser that gets no recognition. You are aware there are festivals for young people right?
The only thing I have to prove about End of the Pier Festival is an email because I didn't end up going to the festival. However I will print screen the email while we're here.

I've been doing some freelance work on the side to my usual projects, I don't get the masses of clients like most but I like to do a little bit here and there and so I promote myself in a positive way, doesn't everyone? I came on here and asked for some advice about Uni choices, not to just be told that I'm shit but thanks.

leigh
02-02-2013, 05:11 PM
Those are mostly just certificates of participation, apart from the one which appears to be a prize - however, they were nevertheless presented to you as an individual, so to present your "studio" as an international multiple award winner is dishonest.

Furthermore:

Just because I can't animate as well as you doesn't mean that I'm a loser that gets no recognition

I didn't say I'm better than you, nor did I call you a loser or say you were shit.

But hey, if you want to keep up the misrepresentation, go right ahead. It'll only harm you in the end, I was just warning you about it.

DaPerPT
02-02-2013, 08:21 PM
This is simply not true. To say that those packages are better for hard surface models and that ZBrush is better for characters is totally bizarre - a skilled modeller can model anything in whatever package they choose. Furthermore, ZBrush is NOT a good idea if you want to learn character modelling, as it's not a modelling package, it's a sculpting package, and the models that comes out of it are not suitable for use in any production pipeline without extensive retopologising. It is still standard practice in studios to model in Maya (or whatever) and then use ZBrush for sculpting onto that base mesh and exporting the result as a displacement map.

If your goal is to work in a studio, and I'm assuming from the fact that you're considering investing in a university education that this is indeed your goal, then you need to learn proper industry methods, and that means learning to model in Maya (which is what Bournemouth teach).

I'm gonna stay out of the fake awards/site thing.
I'm just gonna say I'm sorry if I actually gave you bad info bro, leigh is more trust wordy than I am since he actually experienced this,. You are right, zbrush is used more of a detailing base mesh workflow... but from what I hear it's really used a lot for modeling chars, because you can sculpt with brushes! It's way more artistic than is pushing and pulling verts. If you really think that saying to sculpt organic meshes in zbrush and sculpting hard surface in maya is incorrect, boy than I must be wrong in a lot of stuff, because I sure had a feeling that was true!

And about the retopology, aren't there tools like TopoGun that really makes the job easier?

mr Bob
02-03-2013, 04:40 AM
Nathan don't get upset Leigh is giving you solid advice, you should listen. I would advise going to Bournemouth to start your journey, work hard and create an awesome reel, then there is a good chance you will get hired as a junior.
There are plenty of vfx roles that require no modelling what so ever like FX TD . Junior's with a good Houdini reel and programming skills get a big tick !

b

CGTalk Moderation
02-03-2013, 04:40 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.