PDA

View Full Version : college focus (Master's degree)

littlecherub
02-02-2013, 10:51 AM
Hi,

I'm currently pursing my b.sc in animation (last semester) , i want to grow up in the field of character animation and rigging, so that's why I'm planning to go for master's in animation. So, in terms of animation learning what would you choose: Canada or UK??

Thanks,
Sumi

Andrewty07
02-06-2013, 04:42 AM
Either location have sufficient schools and courses, I would say to keep your focus on optimizing your money. School is a hefty investment in furthering yourself as an artist so if you find an adequate program closer to home it might save you extra funding later. I personally feel that after a bachelors you should have sufficient skills (though room for development of course) to start working. Masters are typically more for becoming instructors at schools, though if you feel you need the extra educational nourishment to lock on your reel it's a personal decision.

I know I somewhat danced around your question without a clear answer, the reason is because it's fairly personal and every artist on here will have mixed views on schools, especially getting a masters. Always keep in mind your numerous non-school resources to hone your skills as well. For fractions of the cost you would invest in a masters there are tutoring, videos and courses online including many free. Some animators even offer personal mentoring on free time to help out (paid of course).

Good luck with whatever path you take.

MrPositive
02-09-2013, 10:18 AM
I kind of agree with Andrew. Unless, you are looking to teach at some point (a Master's degree is required in the US to teach any subject at the collegiate level), then I'd look online. There are several incredible (if not the best online courses available overall) online animation programs including Animation Mentor and iAnimate. Also, check out the 11 second club for tons of animation contests that all levels are allowed to be involved in.

CGTalk Moderation
02-09-2013, 10:18 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.