PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Throne inspired Character

bar2sek
12-11-2003, 10:22 PM
hey, I recently did a WC3: Frozen Throne style character as a personal project after the art tools came out. I did a new Naga Hero character. I kept myself within the bounds of their guidelines for such a character. Hence only 500 triangles. Any crits are very welcome. As far as the texture goes, I have a buddy doing those now, I will update as soon as I have textures and animation to show (completing the rig now).

It is done entirely in Maya 5

Thanks!

low poly model (http://www.bar2sek.com/warcraftchar.htm)

Frank Dodd
12-12-2003, 12:53 PM
I think the texture will make or break this one, there is quite a bit of detail you needed to show in there and a 500 poly limit doesn't give you much room to play about. The foundation looks good, we will just have to await the texture that will put all of the detail onto it.

bar2sek
12-13-2003, 07:29 PM
Yes, I totally agree, but if my buddy doesn't have time to do the textures for me, I'm afraid they will not get done. I am not so much a texture artist. Do you think that hurts me getting into a game company when I say I'm a modeler/animator? I also chose to use maya even tho the warcraft tools use max. The mod project for this fell through (surprise, surprise) so I will just use him to show on my next demo reel with animations and interation with some of my other characters. I suppose a higher poly version would be better, but I figured showing a low poly character didn't hurt since they are still used a lot in new games. I'm just looking for honest opinions for my work becuase I need very badly to get my foot in somewhere.

Thank you

mankor
12-14-2003, 05:41 PM
you should give texuring it a go..learn to do textures..its not that hard..but the foundation looks cool so far ( i love super low poly art))

Frank Dodd
12-14-2003, 10:12 PM
I don't really feel qualified to answer that question as I am also a budding artist and not part of a graphics development team. However I would also think that it is well worth investing some time in the creation of the 2D textures, the more skills you have at your disposal the more marketable your other talents will be.

From what I have read in this forum, the positions of 3D and 2D artists are separated in the larger teams however smaller companies, I'm sure, will be trying to reduce one of their largest costs which will be the salaries of their employees and one way to do that will be to employ talented multi-skilled people.

bar2sek
12-14-2003, 11:42 PM
Cool man,
Thanks for the input, I'll be posting more characters and animations soon (dunno about textures though :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.