PDA

View Full Version : Another "Is this a good CG rig" Thread.....

Eric24
01-28-2013, 08:22 PM
Getting set to build my first PC for mostly modeling/rendering and a little gaming. I've done tons of research, but want to have somewhat of an idea on the performance gain I can expect, and if the components I'm considering would make a decent rig.

Currently I'm running an Alienware M15X laptop with an Intel i7 Q720 (1.6 Ghz, 2.8 Ghz Turbo) and 6 GB ram.

Below is a link to the setup I'm shooting for....

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vLS3

First off, would it be a decent budget setup for 3ds Max 2012?

Secondly, how much of a performance boost should I expect over my current laptop?

Any suggestions, advice would be greatly appreciated!

AJ1
01-29-2013, 01:24 AM
Hey man,

That looks like a nice build!

According to Cinebench, your laptop chip scores 2.8, and that desktop chip score 7.5 at stock speed.

I've got 8gb of RAM on my computer, and I'm always up against the limit just running PS and Maya. You might want to throw in 16GB if you can afford it.

Do you plan on recycling a HDD? You might want to throw one in if not.

-AJ

tswalk
01-29-2013, 04:18 AM
this is just a personal preference, but I would shy away from Biostar and ECS mainboards... in my experience, the quality has been rather poor.

I've had much better luck with ASUS, MSI, and Gigabyte.

CGTalk Moderation
01-29-2013, 04:18 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.