PDA

View Full Version : Bachelor need

lunalf
01-28-2013, 05:29 AM
Hello everyone, my name is Luna, i am 21, and I am an undergraduated student of Industrial Design in Brazil, but I hate it so much. What I really like is VFX but we don't have good courses about it in Brazil. I intend to go to Canada in september to study VFX and give up my bachelor degree in industrial design, im afraid it COULD harm my jobs opportunities in canada/US because of the hb1 (US) visa requrements (bachelor degree or some kind of crazy mix of experience and college studies).
My question is: Is the bachelor degree necessary to get a job in US/Canada?

Fumetsu
01-28-2013, 05:54 PM
I am not sure about Canada, but to qualify for the H1B in the US, you need a bachelors degree or 3 years of experience for every year of the degree. Ie: 3 x 4 = 12 years of experience.

The alternatives to H1B (I don't know what they are specifically) are not that easy either and you must be one damn good candidate for the company to even bother with the lawyers etc.

mr Bob
01-28-2013, 08:44 PM
Hello everyone, my name is Luna, i am 21, and I am an undergraduated student of Industrial Design in Brazil, but I hate it so much. What I really like is VFX but we don't have good courses about it in Brazil. I intend to go to Canada in september to study VFX and give up my bachelor degree in industrial design, im afraid it COULD harm my jobs opportunities in canada/US because of the hb1 (US) visa requrements (bachelor degree or some kind of crazy mix of experience and college studies).
My question is: Is the bachelor degree necessary to get a job in US/Canada?

Even if you have a degree no firm is going to go to the trouble of hiring you unless you have experience. Vancouver right now has a massive pool of junior labour all wanting jobs

Please tell me why do you hate your degree course ? .

b

lunalf
01-28-2013, 10:29 PM
The main reason why I hate it is the fact that I really don't want to work with that, despite the really bad quality of course/professors. Therefore, it seems to me as a huge waste of time.

I know that taking a job in VFX is really hard, but all I'd like to know is whether giving up my bachelor degree would make things even harder for me, and perhaps impossible..

Just one more thing, assuming that I get a job opportunity, as I have almost 75% of the course complete (so 3 years of college-level studies), 3 years of experience would make me eligible for the visa?

Thank you again!!

MrPositive
01-31-2013, 09:33 AM
Why can't you just get a Bachelor's in VFX instead? Frankly, if I delved enough into something to know that I could write 'I hate it', then there is no way I'd continue period. I find it hard to believe there are no worthy VFX/3D art programs in Brazil, considering the incredible work coming out of there. You might have to get creative with a degree to make it your own, but I think it would be worth it.

mr Bob
02-02-2013, 03:26 AM
The main reason why I hate it is the fact that I really don't want to work with that, despite the really bad quality of course/professors. Therefore, it seems to me as a huge waste of time.

I know that taking a job in VFX is really hard, but all I'd like to know is whether giving up my bachelor degree would make things even harder for me, and perhaps impossible..

Just one more thing, assuming that I get a job opportunity, as I have almost 75% of the course complete (so 3 years of college-level studies), 3 years of experience would make me eligible for the visa?

Thank you again!!

Right > First off you hate the course but have completed 75 %. You hate it that much ? . I hate to break it to you but the grass in not greener on the other side, there are plenty of very useful skills you can pick up from an industrial design course and seeing as you are 75% done I would carry on and make the most of it. Blaming the course and bad professors is frankly not acceptable , you make degree course your own , people are not there to hold your hand and second it will get you used to working for people who you may not like as that will definitely happen in the course of your career.

3 years of studying a course does not make you eligible for a visa. Get the degree. I say this as Brazil is not a centre for VFX therefore you will need to move but no company will hire you without you getting experience first in Brazil. On the other hand if you have piles of cash, bail the course and go do a vfx course Bournemouth in the UK . its hands down the best VFX degree course there is.

CGTalk Moderation
02-02-2013, 03:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.