PDA

View Full Version : What should i do for my B.A.?

TheMzk
01-27-2013, 02:51 PM
I would just like to get some advice on what i should do for my B.A., Since what i really want to do is Digital Effects and Compositing and most of the good programs are offered in M.A., I think if i do something else for my B.A. then i will have a wider range of skills? Animation might be a problem for me because I can't draw that well to get entry in a good uni (But i can draw).
I have an interest in film making and have made a few shorts, but i don't think i want to pursue it as my career, or i don't think i have it in me. But i really do have an interest in the Film/animation/video program at RISD.
Just advice me in whatever field you think is right, because i haven't given you much details.

TheMzk
01-27-2013, 07:18 PM
What do you guys think about the visual effects program at SCAD?

TheMzk
01-28-2013, 06:09 PM
Bump?
Is SCAD worth the expense for that B.F.A. degree?
I know its all about how much work you put into it but still.

TheMzk
04-04-2013, 11:33 AM
Bump?

Anyone?

a3sthesia
04-04-2013, 02:17 PM
Hey MZK,

I think it's been a busy start to the year for everyone, so I'm sorry you've had to wait so long for a reply. From my experiences, and from others that I've talked to, your Bachelors degree could be the best time for you to learn as much about the fundamentals as possible.

What subjects can you choose from, and which ones interest you?

You mentioned that drawing could be a weakness, so maybe choosing any drawing/traditional art subjects could benefit you before you head into a Masters?

In terms of compositing and FX, you can benefit a lot from learning about how colour and light work (perhaps you have some theory classes you can do for that?), and photography is a great choice too. You'd be surprised by how much stuff like this makes all the other stuff a lot easier to absorb/learn.

I don't know a lot about the University of Creative Careers (SCAD?), but from what I saw of the Undergraduate Visual Effects courses, you certainly would learn some tricks to push you towards the things you're interested in. Just make sure you do a lot of research into students who may have graduated from there, and maybe blogs or something where people have talked about their experiences.

Anywho! I'll keep an eye on the forums and see if you have any other questions I might be able to help with.

Good luck!

TheMzk
04-05-2013, 03:25 PM
Thank you so much for replying.

Since drawing is my weakness, i am worried i will be able to get into any of the animation programs offered by the good universities.
So that's why depending totally on Animation is out of the question and Compositing and Visual Effects feel's more like the right field for me.

Keeping that in mind, the only good university i have heard of which offers a BA in Visual Effects is Savannah College of Arts and Design. But there are bad remarks about the University and the course.

I know its not about where you study and you can also study online and through books and still manage to get a job and grow from there but i really want to do a 3-4 years B.A. in the related subject..Actually i HAVE to do it.

What other subject do you think i can do a BA in? and then maybe later i could do Masters in Visual Effects/Compositing or Something like that.

Thank you once again for all your help. :)

TheMzk
05-28-2013, 06:27 PM
Bump..
Anyone has any idea on this?

I was think it would be better to do Animation with Visual Effects probably with SVA or at AAU.
But my drawing would have to be really good to get in.

CGTalk Moderation
05-28-2013, 06:27 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.